Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my computer shot?

You have a bad fuel pressure regulator that is adding fuel through the vacuum hose. Pull the vacuum line from the regulator to see it wet with fuel.

The EGR has nothing to do with you problem.

The ECM will not tell you any of this either.

this is what I'm saying by "old school trouble shooting". ;)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    most fuel pressure regulator failures are gas out through the vac hose. I would like to know how the ecm couldpossibly cause fuel to get to the throttle body on that car.

It's not the ECM. The regulator is mechanical, from vacuum, diapharm fails and gas is sucked to TB through vacuum line.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It's not the ECM. The regulator is mechanical, from vacuum, diapharm fails and gas is sucked to TB through vacuum line.
    If that was directed to me, I know how it works, I guess I was just being a smart@@s

Fuel Injected!
    The vacuum line is fine, so is the diaphragm. Attached a vacuum tester, holds the vacuum, not pulling any gas from it. I installed a clear hose with engine running. No fuel. It's not that simple guys. Was the first thing I checked. If it would have been pulled from there, fuel would be found further down inside the manifold. Like i said, it runs down from the EGR passage. No, the egr has nothing to do with it. EGR works, does it job, and only pulls that stuff back in from the exhaust side. Unburned gas that is.

Fuel Injected!
    So the fuel is on the intake side of the egr? This could be very interesting, I wish I had one of those cars here today to look at to help you out.

Is this fuel possibly coming from EVAP somehow??

Unless your exhaust is FILLED with fuel, it is impossible for raw fuel, especially enough to flood and stall an engine in a minute, to be passed through the EGR.

The proper location for the FPR vacuum line to attach (on the 3100) is right near the throttle body, so it is the same area.

After it stalls, have you pulled the plugs to verify an excess of fuel in the cylinder?

With the symptoms you describe, plugging into the ALDL datastream is not going to help any.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by volkerc View Post
    Started the car, it runs for a minute, then floods the intake with gas, coming from the egr pulled from the exhaust.
    Gas as in fluid or gas as in exhaust gas? Either fluid or gas is really going to mess up Closed Loop correction. If you have gas/fluid coming out there? I'm not sure how but that would be a lot of gas from somwhere like a bad injector?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Gas as in fluid. And yes, it's plenty. Not dripping from an injector.Yes the vacuum line is near the intake and near the egr. But believe me, it's not coming from there. Something is telling the engine to dump fuel. It's not coming from the evap either, it's dry there.

Fuel Injected!
    So, gasoline is coming out of the exhaust port, into the manifold, and to the egr valve?? Even if this were happening, the egr valve would have to be opening, and it is not going to open under idle conditions.

Also I cant see how that much gasoline could get in the exhaust, and not hydrolock a cylinder??

Do you have any pictures of where the fuel is coming from in the throttle body.

was the rod you replaced bent?

Quote Originally Posted by black dawg View Post
    Bent or broken... this issue could have been the cause? Something is way wrong...

-= =-

Well, you have us at a disadvantage, we are telling you everything that could possibly be causing your issue and you're telling us that they are not it.

If it's not the FPR, or an injector not closing (that would also require the intake valve on that same cylinder to not work either), causing raw fuel to fill the runner and then make it's way to the throttle body, then you will have to tell us what it is.

The only other thing I can think of would be that something is installed incorrectly, involving the fuel system. But without seeing the car, it's only speculation.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by black dawg View Post
    So, gasoline is coming out of the exhaust port, into the manifold, and to the egr valve?? Even if this were happening, the egr valve would have to be opening, and it is not going to open under idle conditions.

Also I cant see how that much gasoline could get in the exhaust, and not hydrolock a cylinder??

Do you have any pictures of where the fuel is coming from in the throttle body.

i did not replace a bent rod. i replaced the entire engine with a crate engine from gm. see one of my previous posts.
    if the egr is not supposed to open at idle, then again, something is telling the engine to do stupid things. i pulled the egr, and it had gas in the mounting area. no i don't have any pics showing the gas floating around. the vaccuum line from the fuel pressure regulator is DRY. at the regulator and at the point where it enters the manifold.
    the previous owner destroyed the engine. a reason was not mentioned to me. if for some reason something got messed up in the ecm, it might have cause dthis. or the ecm maybe went into limp home after that catastrophic failure. i don't know. i have to make myself familiar with fuel injection. i ahve the basics, but not inside deep knowledge. i do have the factory manuals for the monte. no help either. the crate engine had to have the sensors, manifold and all the rest transferred from the old engine to the new one. stuff that hasn't been replaced ist the o2 sensor, the knock sensor. oil pressure sensor. water senso. and i'm in no mood to keep replacing stuff like crazy and not gaining the result i'm looking for. at this point i suspect a faulty computer. but i won't know, because i can't get the darn aldl cable to communicate, cause as robert pointed out, the baud rate is wrong. and the silab software doesn't allow me to change it. i also have a 91 park ave with 200000 miles on it, running strong. but this 3100 v6 is killing me.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Well, you have us at a disadvantage, we are telling you everything that could possibly be causing your issue and you're telling us that they are not it.

If it's not the FPR, or an injector not closing (that would also require the intake valve on that same cylinder to not work either), causing raw fuel to fill the runner and then make it's way to the throttle body, then you will have to tell us what it is.

The only other thing I can think of would be that something is installed incorrectly, involving the fuel system. But without seeing the car, it's only speculation.
    I triple checked everything from a visual point. Even pulled the injectors a few times, if they are not closing it would have to be a computer issue wouldn't it?
    And I can't see that when they are installed. I read that the o-rings could cause a vacuum leak resulting in poor performance, but doubt it could lead to such an amount of fuel dumped in there.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post

And it's not that I'm responding to you guys input trying to be a smarta.. Its because I'm working on this darn issue for weeks now. From waiting on parts trying to establish a connection to read errors, to ripping everything apart over and over again trying to find what works and what doesn't.