Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 454SS tuning

454SS tuning

So i got bored with the stock power in my 454 and decided to upgrade it a bit. I started searching around for information and decided to go for the Edelbrock 2162 cam, Edelbrock 60499 heads and a Edelbrock 3764 intake.

I found out that i had to boost my fuel pressure for my TBI too support the extra horsepower, so i have ordered a AFPR and a TBI rebuild kit with new gaskets filters etc.

As i read some more i also found out that i had to modify the TBI systems air/fuel and timing etc. to get the full effect out of my engine, thats when i found this great community with all of you people with all this knowledge about EFI systems and the TBI system. As i browsed around the forums i knew i was in the right place!

Now what i need help with is to find out what fuel pressure i should be running and also i need help with the tuning as this is my first experience with TBI tuning! Im ordering a APU1 from Moates as it seems to be a perfect "all-in-one" deal. Im also planing to remove the AIR system (air pump and plugging the holes in the manifolds) is that going to be a problem?

My truck is a 454SS with 4L80E transmission and the Gen V 454 BB.
    16147060 computer AWWH chip. I was told i could use either $85 or $D8, what does that mean?

William
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hey I didnt know they got the 454ss in sweden. Very cool!

The $85 and $D8 are binarys that get loaded on to your computer. This is what defines everything your motor needs to run properly, like open/closed loop fuel management (the stuff you will need to edit, as I'm guessing those $## you have listed are stock ones)
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Is it true that everyone serves in military that and when done with service they take home their guns? Sounds like a good plan for a safe country!

Something bad happened to the 16147060 PCM when it came to the chip/bin/memcal. Since it was an early PCM to handle the E trans it's understandable there would be updates. But they changed the entire mask. The mask is how the code is laid out so we can see where stuff is. It started as $85 and then changed to $D8. We still incorrectly call it $85 and the files are still titled $85, I've worked on them personally and they are accurate but not absolutely complete yet, we have been adding. All the files and a link to when I found the change is in this thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...erceeded-to-D8

You should find a new bin to start with, all BCC codes Axxx were superceeded to Bxxx

The 454 SS has a good spark table to start with or even end up with unlike other BB bins for trucks that tow. Fueling is the most work and dialing in a good idle. Your lucky there's a couple guys here that have been working with that PCM.

Removing air is not an issue as it can be turned off in the bin. Does not have to be, we could look at code but most of the time it only runs during cold start OL to add air and heat up the CAT for a short period, another time it seems to run on vehicles is WOT although I don't know the purpose? Since WOT goes into PE and that is Open Loop. I'd guess emissions, I have turned them off for WOT only before if you have to have it for emissions or visual inspection. The air at WOT plays havoc on AFR from a wide band O2 sensor when tuning WOT.

To find what the fuel demand needed from your injectors and fuel pressure the first thing needed would be an estimated HP from like a desktop dyno with your parts. Do you have this? Then we can start your tune properly with correct fuel pressure.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Mark, I don't have the cam specs or the flow for those heads, but a ballpark figure looks like between 450 and 475 for hp @ around 5000 rpm.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

I'll admit I'm not the best with a desktop dyno... but for some reason your coming close to what I got which was wrong by about 100HP and 1000 RPM? Got burned on a 489 stroker I tuned recently as well and ended up with WAY to much fuel. I get them spot on with small blocks... Even the crate motor specs for similar engines were in 450-500+ HP range. So I don't know what we are doing wrong? Or are crate motors over rated? Or why... read next paragraph.

This is kind of pre loaded answer as I've been PMing mixbox and he came up with 350HP but over 450 on tourque at same RPM, about 4000. We decided it was way to good of a PM to waste and he started this thread.

What program you using?

-= =-

I used desktop dyno, edlebrock 6045 heads, and a comp cam 1-414-8. I also guessed at the intake as a high flow manifold. 350 sure seems low for ponies, you can get that out of a 350 without too much work. I used a cr of 9.0:1 as that seems reasonable also.

Looking at the edelbrock page, there are 2 specs listed on pg 127. The e-street series is 354 hp and 470 torque. the rpm series is 540 hp and 539 torque.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 05-19-2013 at 07:09 AM.

I ran a Desktop Dyno with the parts im going to use.
    http://www.speedyshare.com/dUEt4/454...s-2162-cam.dyn

As this is my first time using Desktop Dyno im not really sure if i done everything right but according to DD2000 i will be peaking out at 347hp at 4000rpm.

I used the specs from here:
    Cam: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...2162&submit=go
    Heads: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...rformer1.shtml
    Intake: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...rmer-tbi.shtml (the one on the bottom of the page)

William

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Is it true that everyone serves in military that and when done with service they take home their guns? Sounds like a good plan for a safe country!

Something bad happened to the 16147060 PCM when it came to the chip/bin/memcal. Since it was an early PCM to handle the E trans it's understandable there would be updates. But they changed the entire mask. The mask is how the code is laid out so we can see where stuff is. It started as $85 and then changed to $D8. We still incorrectly call it $85 and the files are still titled $85, I've worked on them personally and they are accurate but not absolutely complete yet, we have been adding. All the files and a link to when I found the change is in this thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...erceeded-to-D8

You should find a new bin to start with, all BCC codes Axxx were superceeded to Bxxx

The 454 SS has a good spark table to start with or even end up with unlike other BB bins for trucks that tow. Fueling is the most work and dialing in a good idle. Your lucky there's a couple guys here that have been working with that PCM.

Removing air is not an issue as it can be turned off in the bin. Does not have to be, we could look at code but most of the time it only runs during cold start OL to add air and heat up the CAT for a short period, another time it seems to run on vehicles is WOT although I don't know the purpose? Since WOT goes into PE and that is Open Loop. I'd guess emissions, I have turned them off for WOT only before if you have to have it for emissions or visual inspection. The air at WOT plays havoc on AFR from a wide band O2 sensor when tuning WOT.

To find what the fuel demand needed from your injectors and fuel pressure the first thing needed would be an estimated HP from like a desktop dyno with your parts. Do you have this? Then we can start your tune properly with correct fuel pressure.
    Unfortunetly Sweden has some of the strictest gun laws in the world :/ The mandatory 1 year army service that all male 18 year olds had to do is no more.. Did i mention that we pay roughly 7-8 dollars for one gallon of gas. Yearly road tax on a car or truck like my 454SS is roughly 400 dollars.. But hey! The girls are beautiful and we have all this great nature :)

Im not going to tow anything with this truck, the towbar was removed when i installed my rollpan ;)

So what bin should i begin with do you have any suggestion.. Also would a wideband O2 sensor be needed for tuning or is it only for WOT tuning (maybe thats good?)

Okay so the air is no problem then as i have a great guy down at the inspection place as long as it wont affect how the car runs :)

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    I used desktop dyno, edlebrock 6045 heads, and a comp cam 1-414-8. I also guessed at the intake as a high flow manifold. 350 sure seems low for ponies, you can get that out of a 350 without too much work. I used a cr of 9.0:1 as that seems reasonable also.

Looking at the edelbrock page, there are 2 specs listed on pg 127. The e-street series is 354 hp and 470 torque. the rpm series is 540 hp and 539 torque.
    I ran a dyno with the specs i found on Edelbrocks website (see my post above) not sure if i did everything right tough as this is my first experience with Desktop Dyno!

From what i had heard i would get around 400 horses with this setup i have now, so yes 350 seems a bit in the low..

AWWH was superseded to BAMY and we have that bin in the $85 info thread.

Depending on what HP we come up with it looks like 16 PSI for 357 HP. I'll attach a spreadsheet that will help figure this out. It also has the $85 BLM adjustments tables. It's in Open Office which is free software, if you need the Excel version let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Here is my DD2003 graph for the edelbrock cam. I also looked at a Lunatti Voodoo cam just for fun
    I used the numbers off of the site you posted for the can and the heads.

This is the Voodoo cam, I forgot to change the label

Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 05-20-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Your lucky there's a couple guys here that have been working with that PCM.
    7060 boyyyzzzzz! lol. I'm surprised there aren't more of us around since the 454SS has the 7060, but I guess the 91-93 trucks that use them are pretty scarce?

Quote Originally Posted by mixbox View Post

So what bin should i begin with do you have any suggestion.. Also would a wideband O2 sensor be needed for tuning or is it only for WOT tuning (maybe thats good?)

Okay so the air is no problem then as i have a great guy down at the inspection place as long as it wont affect how the car runs :)
    Bump the fuel PSI to 16, start it up with the stock BAMY bin and see what it wants. You don't need a WBo2 but it's a good tool to have. I think with that mild cam, I would also set the "rpm to enter closed loop" to 25 and the "RPM to exit closed loop" at 50, this will allow closed loop idle.

When you get the fueling sorted, there might be some gains to be had in the spark table from a full throttle punch but be careful with it @ WOT above 2200 rpm or so, it gets pretty aggressive, and might be all you can use with an increase in compression... You actually may need to back off on the spark a bit in some areas, just depends on how good your heads work.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Here is my DD2003 graph for the edelbrock cam. I also looked at a Lunatti Voodoo cam just for fun
    I used the numbers off of the site you posted for the can and the heads.
    Well now we are back in same ballpark, that's pretty dam close to what mixbox got. Wonder how we were so far off first time?

-= =-

Thanks everybody for the great response in this thread. Im still waiting for the parts (intake, heads and APU1) to arrive. As soon as something happens i will update this thread.

Back again! Added some parts to the build. Getting rid of the old manifolds and installing headers. Also got a hold of two almost brand new injectors from a 90 454ss (80pph instead of 74pph) but im guessing i have to change something in the bin for the bigger injectors to work with the BAMY bin file?

I thought the 454 SS started in 91 with the 4L80E? So what ECM and tranny did the 90 have?

There's no injector settings in this PCM, instead it starts with a BPC/BPW. It's all in the calculator spreadsheet I attached earlier. Let us know if you need help with it?

-= =-