Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wifes car,almost completed L67 build/swap -56k run away.

I would definitely like to know what you find after comparing a few different radiators side by side. Having a low cost radiator upgrade available would definitely be nice. Most of the supercharged radiators are just $190-200, which ain't bad considering that most aluminum high performance radiators are $400+. I did a little looking on advance's website last night and found basically the same thing with their listings. The supercharged GP's and Regals list thicker radiator cores than the N/A applications, but the Impalas and Monte Carlos list the same radiator for both applications. I don't understand why the difference, but at least the listings seem consistent.

Gotta get back to welding now. I'm probably making the bracket beefier than needed, but I plan on using it several times so I'd rather it be overkill just to be safe.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

Super Moderator
    IIRC, the N/A 3800 police impalas got the S/C 3800 radiators...
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Had a few minutes to check last night.Autozone lists the A2710 rad for both 2004 impala na/l67 as well as the grand prix na.
    The 2004 gtp is another that is an 1" versus 5/8" as mentioned.
    No part numbers available for police package.
    The gtp rad is special order,so can't compare at AZ.
    Fortunately it is a parts store,and I have customers with them. All my customers seem to like me so probably won't mind popping hood to measure either.
    Gonna search on gtp forum as well,the info is out there i'm sure.

Stopping by napa to help one of thier guys with thier truck and visit with mechanic buddy there in a minute. I'll see what they list.
    I plan to email the place I got my aluminum fiero rad off ebay.
    I got one of the american eagle/champions and I really like it.
    A small bit of trimming is no problem,I just don't want to re-engineer the front end.

You can also look at a 2004 Buick Regal GS radiator. It is 1" thick also, but it carries a different part# than the GTP radiator and is a little cheaper. I was also looking around last night and found a pretty nice aluminum radiator on the ZZPerformance website. It's huge at 1.4" thick and it only costs $299, which ain't bad if you ask me.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.

Fuel Injected!
    Found this thread about a 1 3/8" thick core in monte's,posting up for future reference.
    http://www.grandprixforums.net/radia...gps-67283.html

Last edited by Playtoy_18; 06-25-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmkls1 View Post
    Gotta go for now. I'm in the process of a tranny rebuild on the mother-in-law's 2004 Impala. I just got the tranny out last night and I am about to make a bracket to allow the tranny to be bolted to an engine stand for repairs/overhaul.
    Let me know if you need the tools for resizing the teflon rings.
    The coke bottle plastic/hose clamp trick wouldn't work for me when I rebuilt wifes,so I ended up just spending the $150.

I bought the tools because I plan on doing more than 1 rebuild. I got some really good deals on used tools on ebay. I got the tool for the input drum sealing rings for $60 and the 2 turbine shaft tools for $30 each, so I've got $120 invested in about $300 worth of tools if bought new. I'm an ex-GM dealer tech so I'm experienced with some of the more common GM auto trannys. I just never had any of my own specialty tools since they were a shop-supplied item and since I was a regular line tech I didn't need to use them very often.

I have yet to see any of the common tricks work for anybody on solid Teflon sealing rings. I personally never tried any of them because I always had the proper tools available to me. I've also never used scarf-cut rings either except in the rare instances where they are the proper part, like the ring on the 4T65E oil pump shaft. If there were one piece of advice that I had for somebody considering rebuilding their own trans it would be to only use the proper solid rings and invest in a set of the proper sealing ring installers/sizers or have somebody with the proper tools install and size them for you.

Fuel Injected!
    Quick update,while this project is dying the engine is not!I never found the needed TC info,and put it off for too long messing with other stuff.
    So it stopped shifting on her when the trans got hot (I told her she could drive if she went easy on it,dumb me).

Anyway,I'm gonna do what I should have done in the first place and put stock engine/trans back in. Just waiting on a phone call from a buddy saying he's found them.

This engine will be yanked out and a few things swapped out/added (stainless headers, cam,alt bracket delete etc..) and going in my 88 fiero gt along with a 440t4 from a Mclaren turbo car I have (till I find time to rebuild 4t65hd).
    I already have most everything for the swap,including harness disassembled and ready to run.
    Just waiting on a few extra hours where I can fit the car in shop long enough to pull powertrain from impala.
    I'll start a different build thread for fiero,it will be getting many mods at once (been saving parts for awhile :) ).

I know that this thread is pretty much dead, but I did have a little new info. The radiator in my wife's car took a dump recently so I decided to upgrade it since it was going to be replaced anyways. I didn't have the time to do any experimenting with some of the really big radiators from the gen 1&1.5 w-bodies as they do have some small differences. So, I went ahead and got a radiator for a supercharged grand prix which still has a 1" core vs. the 5/8" N/A model. They are identical except for the core thickness so the 1" rad. dropped right in. I did test-fit the fan assembly before installing the radiator to see what modifications, if any, were necessary. The fan assembly has little stand-offs that space it out from the core at the top and bottom, so the 3 bolt locations have a small gap when the shroud is in place. This leaves you with 2 options to get them to fit properly without warping or breaking the fan housing when tightening the bolts. The first option, which is the route I went for simplicity, is to simply place washers between the bolt bosses on the housing and the radiator. If you do place washers in there the 2 bolts that go in the side tanks will not go in so 2 SLIGHTLY longer bolts are required, but it is critical to make sure that the bolts are only long enough to work because if the bolts are too long they will puncture the side tanks and ruin the new radiator. It only took one hardware store style washer per bolt so I only needed 3 washers and 2 bolts to perform the whole upgrade. The second option would be to take a sharp blade or a grinder and shave enough material off of the little stand-offs until all of the bolt bosses sit flush against the radiator and everything will just drop into place with no other modifications or parts. The second option is probably better, but I was very pressed for time so I didn't have the time to do the fitting. Other than that, the bigger radiator is a drop-in replacement. I really find it funny that on autozone's website the supercharged radiator listing has a note in bold letters saying that it will not work to replace the 5/8" core.