Thread: Adjusting VE Fueling tables with BLM data Tutorial!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How do you go about turning off items you mentioned.

1. EGR
    2. PE
    3. Air Pump
    4. DEFCO
    5. Hiway Lean
    6. Open Loop

Also what do you mean when you say rinse data log.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Now that the VE table is smoothed out we can do some data logging.

To get better data logs there are a few more things to do that helps for accurate data and filling more cells.

Turn off:
    1. EGR
    2. PE.
    3. Air pump.
    4. DFCO
    5. Hiway Lean Cruise if applicable.

Have vehicle warmed up and driven a little, then start data log. Try and have a route planned where you can drive a steady throttle state, like getting on the freeway at 10% throttle till top speed or whatever is safe. Next on ramp 20%, then 30%, 40%, 50% etc... your coming off freeway and getting back on helps for other data or do some around town driving.

Do not look at history table while driving!!!

But do try and fill in as many cells as possible. You will not get them all, it's impossible. Save your data log.

I didn't mention Open Loop. That will not give any narrow band O2 sensor feedback so this tutorial would be useless. Open Loop tuning is done with a Wide Band O2 sensor and would need different spreadsheets done preferably in Lambda, not AFR.

Data log, Rinse and Repeat.
    When your done, do it again to fine tune. Rinse and Repeat was a phrase I started using from the shampoo bottle instructions.

Everything is an adjustment off VE tables, so you need to get them right without interference. These are specific to your 1227747 $42. This is why you turn off:
    1. EGR is a little tricky, we just recently found the temp is scaled backwards, so max is always on, min is always off. It's fixed in my new XDF but not tested yet. So here's the old tryed and proven method for $42.

All three of these are done in hex, just right click the window when open and choose Show Hex Values.

1. "EGR - Max TPS to allow EGR On *DataLog Off 1*"
    Shown in Hex set to minimum so EGR will not turn on.
    Hex set to 00 for off! Will show 00 after EGR patch applied.
    Also uncheck Code 32 to disable CEL.
    For data logging BLM to adjust VE this item turned off will give more accurate data.
    B. "EGR - On Low VAC Kpa *DataLog Off 2*"
    Shown in Hex.
    Set to hex FD to disable! Will show FD after EGR patch applied.
    C. "EGR - On Hi VAC Kpa *DataLog Off 3*"
    Shown in Hex.
    Set to hex FF to disable! Will show FF after EGR patch applied.
    2. "Air - CTS to Enable AIR diverter *DataLog Off 4*" by raising temp to max.
    3. "HiWay - CTS to Enable Lean Cruise - *DataLog Off 5*" by raising temp to max. DO not touch this if the HiWay Lean Cruise patch is not applied to your bin.
    4. "PE - CTS to Enable PE - *DataLog Off 6*" by raising temp to max. This just gives more data to tables before PE in enabled and locks BLM and changes AFR.
    5. "DFCO - CTS to Enable DFCO - *DataLog Off 7*" by raising temp to max.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Mark,

That helps some. Because I had no idea how to disable items but I see you mention turning off items all the time and I understand the reason is to eliminate blm reading from being affected by something other than the o2 sensor, such as PE, DFCO, EGR and so on.

I may be wrong but I thought I had read in other threads where you mentioned disabling the open loop so that it cannot go into open loop while data logging. For example my chip the way it is currently tuned goes into open loop at idle, I like the way it idles in open loop better. It really isn’t issue because I have learned from David how to sort open loop out of the log using excel. But I understand if you could disable open loop how it would eliminate that step.

I thought rinse and repeat meant just clear out data and repeat but I thought I better ask to be sure.

By the way I finally ordered a burn 2 from Moates today so that I can take what I have learned to the next step and actually be able to burn my own chip.

Thanks Again

There are a lot of stock bins we start with in $42 that are Open Loop Idle. Remember these are truck systems. Back then it stilled passed emissions, not many newer systems... or any I'm aware of run OL idle other then cold start warm up. The newer the vehicle the faster they go CL idle and some use INT/STFT even if in OL AFR tables!

I forget your motor specs but sometimes big cams need OL idle! If it's within reason I like CL Idle. Can use BLM data to adjust VE and if idle is not smooth a bais to change AFR at idle "O2 - Idle AFR Bias Value" Along with many IAC and other adjustments. Good rock steady idle is the hardest part of a tune in a built motor.

The most common setting for Open Loop Idle is "Open Loop - RPM Threshold"
    Adjust here for Open Loop idle on big cam/low MAP idle engines.

The Open Loop Off Idle RPM is the RPM threshold at which the ECM leaves open loop mode. To return to open loop mode the RPM must drop below Open Loop Off Idle RPM minus the Open Loop On Idle RPM
    Use the compare feature of TunerPro and load compare bin ASDU and look at those settings compared to yours, they are very low. 25 and 50 RPM so it's always Closed Loop Idle.

There are also other settings that can effect this, look in the "O2 Open/Closed Loop" folder.

By the way I finally ordered a burn 2 from Moates today so that I can take what I have learned to the next step and actually be able to burn my own chip.
    It's about time!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi im really new to all this so please bare with me
    I have followed ur steps to the t... gfreat tutorial, but at the end when u said delte everything lower then 5 then add in spreadsheet with similar numbers how do u know what are similar numbers , is there a pattern im not seeing... also once im done with my ve table and save it to bin what is the next step. I have bin reading thre\ds and googling and i just cant get straight answers or i need them explained more thoroughly . my objective is to get more pwer torque and fuel savings for my truck and i have the equipment but not enough knowledge please help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JTodd View Post
    Hi im really new to all this so please bare with me
    I have followed ur steps to the t... gfreat tutorial, but at the end when u said delte everything lower then 5 then add in spreadsheet with similar numbers how do u know what are similar numbers , is there a pattern im not seeing... also once im done with my ve table and save it to bin what is the next step. I have bin reading thre\ds and googling and i just cant get straight answers or i need them explained more thoroughly . my objective is to get more pwer torque and fuel savings for my truck and i have the equipment but not enough knowledge please help

Thanks
    I think your asking about the Running Sample Count? If the Running Sample Count is less than 5 in a VE cell, the Running Average should not be used for correcting VE in that cell.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup Dave got it! Actually he's the one who taught it first!

When I said to fill in spreadsheet with similar numbers after taking out History Average with 5 or less counts... this takes a little practice and thought, look for patterns and trends in the BLM History table numbers you entered in spread sheet. You will never be able to data log them all. But they all count! Remember Interpolation of cells? Remember smoothing by using Graph mode and visual pictures of the graph? What is going to happen if you adjust say 8 cells in an area to 108 and one did not have data? When you paste the VE table back into bin and look in graph that cell is going to be a Peak or Valley! There will be lots of manual cleaning up to do to make the VE table smooth again.

Example: You have the 800 RPM row with BLM data like this
    xxx,xxx,xxx,108,110,112,114,xxx,xxx,xxx
    Fill in the blank/xxx cells with

If there was no data in row above that, the 400RPM row what is going to happen when you paste in VE to bin and look at it in graph? It's not smooth, way off and is going to effect the 800 row you adjusted because of interpolation.

Final VE table you use in your rig does not have to be perfectly smooth, but should have a visual shape to it. Because of interpolation starting with smoother table makes adjjusting from data so much easier.

-= =-

What about for the Near Idle VE Correction? Do you drive around and do about the same?

Only the TBI computers (with red / blue connectors) from 1993 ~ 1995 will have both near idle and off idle fuel / spark tables.

Near idle has two qualifying parameters:
    MPH less than 3 MPH
    TPS less than 2.7%

The exported log file will show when the idle flag is on. For near idle, I use only the data when the idle flag is on.

TunerPro RT Does Not filter the near idle data using the idle flag on data.

dave w