Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting VE Fueling tables with BLM data Tutorial!

Adjusting VE Fueling tables with BLM data Tutorial!

There's a lot of questions about how to adjust the fueling VE tables with BLM data so I'm attempting a tutorial to understand the theory. Lots of it takes some practice and understanding of what is happening and how to make adjustments. We have great tools for this starting with TunerPro RT, some great ADX files for differant ECM/PCMs and spreadsheets made by Dave W that really simplifies the task.

So bare with me and let's see if I can explain it.

This will all be done in $0D with BCC BJYL as a starting point. Can be applied to any mask or bin file. But each mask or bin file has to be exact tables including the BLM History Gram made in TunerPro.

$0D has 2 VE fueling tables, one for Idle and one for Off Idle. This tutorial is using the Off Idle.

I'll include a modified $0D ADX with properly built BLM History tables. One cool trick in this ADX is the Idle BLM History table has one extra row at 2000 RPM, the Idle VE table only goes to 1800 RPM, the purpose of this extra row is so BLM data does not clog up the 1800 RPM row with data from all other RPM ranges, so when cutting and pasting Idle BLM, do not include the 2000 RPM row, it's extra data not needed.

VE = Volumetric Efficiency is a term that corrects fueling for different engine efficiencies. An engine is basically an air pump and the better the pump; the more power it can generate. Some engines are better pumps than others at a given RPM and MAP condition are, so this term allows the equation to be calibrated for different engines. It is used in open or closed loop. If perfect will produce 14.7 to 1 AFR without other sensor adjustments. It is the most important thing to get that right first because all other adjustments like AE, PE, DFCO and lean cruise are based off that.

BLM = Block Learn Multiplier. Block Learn Mode term is long term fuel trim. BLM value tracks the Integrator but has a delay. If the Integrator increases so does the BLM, but the BLM lags behind the Integrator. The higher the Integrator climbs above 128, the faster the BLM rises. BLM value affects the VE table by adding fuel above 128 and subtracting fuel below 128.

To start open TunerPro RT, load your bin, xdf and adx files. Find your fueling VE table, in this case it's the off idle. Open the parameter and click on the Graph Icon.

Hold down the right click button and spin graph for a better view.

Before we do any data logging we are going to smooth out the VE table a bit. Why? Well if you look at a number in a cell this is not the number the PCM uses. It is a interpolated number from that cell and four surrounding cells. So if the table is smoother the BLM adjustments made to it will also be smoother.

Set up the Smooth tool from .1 being a huge amount and .9 being a small amount. Normally I use .7 Some rows or columns may need to be clicked twice, like in this table you can see where it is calibrated to strat to loose power at 4400 RPM, spark is the same, just the way GM built it to only give what motor could use, then die of power and force a shift and not over rev.

You may also need to manually smooth some cells by clicking on the corners and dragging them.

Highlight each row and click smooth.

Highlight each column and click smooth.

Here's what the smoothed VE table looks like. Probably easy to understand how adjustments are going to be easier now. Smooth tables are much easier to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Data Logging with your smoothed VE table

Now that the VE table is smoothed out we can do some data logging.

To get better data logs there are a few more things to do that helps for accurate data and filling more cells.

Turn off:
    1. EGR
    2. PE.
    3. Air pump.
    4. DFCO
    5. Hiway Lean Cruise if applicable.

Have vehicle warmed up and driven a little, then start data log. Try and have a route planned where you can drive a steady throttle state, like getting on the freeway at 10% throttle till top speed or whatever is safe. Next on ramp 20%, then 30%, 40%, 50% etc... your coming off freeway and getting back on helps for other data or do some around town driving.

Do not look at history table while driving!!!

But do try and fill in as many cells as possible. You will not get them all, it's impossible. Save your data log.

-= =-

Download one of the spreadsheets from your specific ECM?PCM mask ID, there are many available in this forum:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ams-Tuner-Info!

I'll attach one here that has most of them and calculators included, look on bottom tabs for your mask ID.

Open the spreadsheet and let's get it ready for our BLM data. First thing to do is empty all cells in BLM data table if they are filled.

It now looks like this.

Open TunerPRo and your Off Idle VE table, highlight the entire table and right click copy or CNTRL C

Now paste the table into spreadsheet. Highlight the entire table and Paste or CNTRL V, when the box pops up just click OK, defaults are fine.

-= =-

Play back your data log so it fills in the BLM history tables. You can click on the top left cell to highlight some tables, or get used to starting at bottom right and drag to top left to highlight entire table. Then CNTRL C to Copy and CNTRL V to paste as some do not allow right click Copy and Paste.

Open your spreadsheet to correct mask ID, in this case it's $0D and Off IDle. Paste in your BLM history data.

Go back to TunerPro history table and up top choose History Sample Count, find the cells with less then 5 and blank them in Spreadsheet.

Now look at BLMs in Spreadsheet, you can see a curve, fill in some of the blanks with numbers close to good data. This helps adjust the table when done.

What the Spreadsheet does for yuou is the math on entire table all at once. Math for course adjustment is BLM/128 * VE cell, this is what you would have to do cell by cell.

Adjusting is done for you in this table of Spreadsheet. You don't change anything here. You can see the adjustment is for example * .98 or * 1.10. One table is a course adjustment, the other is a fine adjustment by using a square root of 2 tables.

Your new VE table is built! Highlight the entire table, copy and paste it into your bin file.

Again open it in graph mode and look for spikes and dips, do some manual smoothing or use the smooth tool.

Data log, Rinse and Repeat.

It takes a little practice and you'll get the hang of it! After a few shots your BLM data log will be so close and yhour VE table so smooth no more adjustments are needed. What I find acceptable is anything within 6 of 128, prefreably below 128 in 70 or 80 MAP columns, this has to do with fueling when PE (Power Enrichment) is entered. Somewhere in 80-90-100 MAP columns you will see 128! This is do to PCM locking at 128 when PE is entered. The only accurate way to tune PE is with a Wide Band O2 sensor. You can use Narrow Band O2 sensor readings as a guesstimate and keep them .900 volts which is on rich side of Stoich, close to 12.5 AFR or .85 Lambda... but that is for another article.

Once you get used to doing this it only takes a minute! I'm going blind right now trying to do it so slowly, take screen shots and write a paragraph. So I need a break and will polish up as we go.

If you have questions, comments or see a mistake let me know in your tuning thread or give me a PM.

Stay Tuned!

-= =-

Wow, I sometimes forget how many steps are needed to tune.

dave w

Out standing Job Mark.
    This is some very valuable info for rookie tuners.

If you had the data log and used this procedure before a few times it's easy. I can do all the steps above in less then five minutes...

-= =-

Mark,
    I assume you are using an autoprom right. If you aren't, how is the data getting into the bin?
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Great writeup!!! Explains everything clearly so us newbies can figure it out.
    -Frank

1987 GMC Suburban K2500 400SBC, TH400 Trans, 3.73 Gears
    1995 GMC Suburban K2500 454BBC, 4L80E Trans, 3.73 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    Mark,
    I assume you are using an autoprom right. If you aren't, how is the data getting into the bin?
    Well last picture says to copy new VE to bin... maybe I should add the last picture and instructions?

It's things like that I need feedback on to further explain or correct, so feedback still wanted.

-= =-

How do you go about turning off items you mentioned.

1. EGR
    2. PE
    3. Air Pump
    4. DEFCO
    5. Hiway Lean
    6. Open Loop

Also what do you mean when you say rinse data log.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Now that the VE table is smoothed out we can do some data logging.

To get better data logs there are a few more things to do that helps for accurate data and filling more cells.

Turn off:
    1. EGR
    2. PE.
    3. Air pump.
    4. DFCO
    5. Hiway Lean Cruise if applicable.

Have vehicle warmed up and driven a little, then start data log. Try and have a route planned where you can drive a steady throttle state, like getting on the freeway at 10% throttle till top speed or whatever is safe. Next on ramp 20%, then 30%, 40%, 50% etc... your coming off freeway and getting back on helps for other data or do some around town driving.

Do not look at history table while driving!!!

But do try and fill in as many cells as possible. You will not get them all, it's impossible. Save your data log.

I didn't mention Open Loop. That will not give any narrow band O2 sensor feedback so this tutorial would be useless. Open Loop tuning is done with a Wide Band O2 sensor and would need different spreadsheets done preferably in Lambda, not AFR.

Data log, Rinse and Repeat.
    When your done, do it again to fine tune. Rinse and Repeat was a phrase I started using from the shampoo bottle instructions.

Everything is an adjustment off VE tables, so you need to get them right without interference. These are specific to your 1227747 $42. This is why you turn off:
    1. EGR is a little tricky, we just recently found the temp is scaled backwards, so max is always on, min is always off. It's fixed in my new XDF but not tested yet. So here's the old tryed and proven method for $42.

All three of these are done in hex, just right click the window when open and choose Show Hex Values.

1. "EGR - Max TPS to allow EGR On *DataLog Off 1*"
    Shown in Hex set to minimum so EGR will not turn on.
    Hex set to 00 for off! Will show 00 after EGR patch applied.
    Also uncheck Code 32 to disable CEL.
    For data logging BLM to adjust VE this item turned off will give more accurate data.
    B. "EGR - On Low VAC Kpa *DataLog Off 2*"
    Shown in Hex.
    Set to hex FD to disable! Will show FD after EGR patch applied.
    C. "EGR - On Hi VAC Kpa *DataLog Off 3*"
    Shown in Hex.
    Set to hex FF to disable! Will show FF after EGR patch applied.
    2. "Air - CTS to Enable AIR diverter *DataLog Off 4*" by raising temp to max.
    3. "HiWay - CTS to Enable Lean Cruise - *DataLog Off 5*" by raising temp to max. DO not touch this if the HiWay Lean Cruise patch is not applied to your bin.
    4. "PE - CTS to Enable PE - *DataLog Off 6*" by raising temp to max. This just gives more data to tables before PE in enabled and locks BLM and changes AFR.
    5. "DFCO - CTS to Enable DFCO - *DataLog Off 7*" by raising temp to max.

-= =-

Mark,

That helps some. Because I had no idea how to disable items but I see you mention turning off items all the time and I understand the reason is to eliminate blm reading from being affected by something other than the o2 sensor, such as PE, DFCO, EGR and so on.

I may be wrong but I thought I had read in other threads where you mentioned disabling the open loop so that it cannot go into open loop while data logging. For example my chip the way it is currently tuned goes into open loop at idle, I like the way it idles in open loop better. It really isn’t issue because I have learned from David how to sort open loop out of the log using excel. But I understand if you could disable open loop how it would eliminate that step.

I thought rinse and repeat meant just clear out data and repeat but I thought I better ask to be sure.

By the way I finally ordered a burn 2 from Moates today so that I can take what I have learned to the next step and actually be able to burn my own chip.

Thanks Again

There are a lot of stock bins we start with in $42 that are Open Loop Idle. Remember these are truck systems. Back then it stilled passed emissions, not many newer systems... or any I'm aware of run OL idle other then cold start warm up. The newer the vehicle the faster they go CL idle and some use INT/STFT even if in OL AFR tables!

I forget your motor specs but sometimes big cams need OL idle! If it's within reason I like CL Idle. Can use BLM data to adjust VE and if idle is not smooth a bais to change AFR at idle "O2 - Idle AFR Bias Value" Along with many IAC and other adjustments. Good rock steady idle is the hardest part of a tune in a built motor.

The most common setting for Open Loop Idle is "Open Loop - RPM Threshold"
    Adjust here for Open Loop idle on big cam/low MAP idle engines.

The Open Loop Off Idle RPM is the RPM threshold at which the ECM leaves open loop mode. To return to open loop mode the RPM must drop below Open Loop Off Idle RPM minus the Open Loop On Idle RPM
    Use the compare feature of TunerPro and load compare bin ASDU and look at those settings compared to yours, they are very low. 25 and 50 RPM so it's always Closed Loop Idle.

There are also other settings that can effect this, look in the "O2 Open/Closed Loop" folder.

By the way I finally ordered a burn 2 from Moates today so that I can take what I have learned to the next step and actually be able to burn my own chip.
    It's about time!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Hi im really new to all this so please bare with me
    I have followed ur steps to the t... gfreat tutorial, but at the end when u said delte everything lower then 5 then add in spreadsheet with similar numbers how do u know what are similar numbers , is there a pattern im not seeing... also once im done with my ve table and save it to bin what is the next step. I have bin reading thre\ds and googling and i just cant get straight answers or i need them explained more thoroughly . my objective is to get more pwer torque and fuel savings for my truck and i have the equipment but not enough knowledge please help

Thanks