Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy!

Fuel Injected!

Howdy!

I'm Eric, I recognize quite a few names on here from TGO and 60degreeV6.com. I'm very new to tuning and coding/programming, and I'm learning on my OBD2 swapped turbo 3500 Fiero.

I've hashed out a base tune using tiny tuner and DHP for it already, now I just need to get the car back together so I can fire it off and start the real leg work...

I would really like to start digging into the code and learn how to make changes successfully. Some things I would like to accomplish:

• increasing the fuel and ignition tables to 8500 RPMs
    • increasing the MAP tables to 3 Bar
    • and long term, true coil per cylinder ignition similar to LSx engines (this I'm sure would require numerous hardware changes to go along with the software)

I may be able to make many of these improvements by swapping to a 0411 PCM and running hacked 4.3 S10 programming, or using the PCM I currently have with olds aurora programming.

either one will most likely require new crank trigger, but the cam sensors seem to match up.

I plan to keep any progress I make out in the open so others can follow along and run with it on their own if they want.

<snip> the pinout has it's own ever evolving thread, http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...V6-PCM-pinouts </snip>

if anyone has any suggestions, I'm more then open to listening and learning anything that could help!
    Last edited by ericjon262; 05-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    background on the car, and the build so far:

the car is a 1985 Fiero SE, originally a V6 slushbox. I'm almost done swapping in a 2006 G6 3.5, and a 2001 Sunfire F23.

Here's what I started with...

best 1/8 mile run was 10.71... lots of room for improvement there...

the engine:

port job on the heads

rods and pistons

ebay GT35

a2w intercooler setup

intercooler tank

the fabbed parts:

Rear transmission mount

front transmission mount.

Power steering pump mount*

*not sure if it will end up being put into service or not.

coilovers

PCM mount

intercooler mount.

custom headers and hotside

wrapped the top half of the dashboard in "marine" grade vinyl. I riveted a piece of 1/4" aluminum fuel line int he groove running the width of the dash to hold the the vinyl down.

the intake (I did the fitting, and a local shop did the welding.

the factory cavalier F23 shift linkage used a plastic bushing that I happen to have lost somewhere along the way, probably a good thing though, because I'm not sure plastic would hold up well as close to the downpipe as these parts are.

my new bushing is a piece of 1/2 plate aluminum.

here are a few pics of the rest of the linkage.

I consider most everything I've built for the car a "prototype" as I intend to redo quite a bit of it a little different

Super Moderator
    note on those headflow numbers:

http://houstonperformancetrucks.com/...h-flow-numbers

stock more or less matches stock LS1 heads.
    ported more or less matches stock LS6 heads.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    note on those headflow numbers:

http://houstonperformancetrucks.com/...h-flow-numbers

stock more or less matches stock LS1 heads.
    ported more or less matches stock LS6 heads.
    interesting... never really looked at LSx flow numbers, can you imagine these heads with bigger valves and set up for a larger bore! lol, of coarse you can, it's just an LZ9

Fuel Injected!
    got the engine back, finished the final assembly, installed the flywheel and clutch, installed a new HTOB, bled the master, bled the line, started bleeding the HTOB, and apparently, it's defective. there's a nice little puddle of hydraulic fluid dripping out from the bellhousing. :facepalm: never got a pedal at all... my machinist did great job on the engine, but he took way to damn long. if I had the engine back, even last week, I would have had time to deal with issues like this. (un)fortunately, I ship out for boot camp tomorrow morning, I was hoping to hear it run before I left, but it looks like the car will have to wait 9ish weeks before I even get a chance to think about it again, much less hear it run.

oh well, life happens. I'll get a new clutch (clutchnet stage 4) and HTOB(GM) on order before I leave tomorrow, and when I get back, I'll fix it.

it'll take a little longer then planned, but I'll make it happen still....

Cool build, congrats for doing something out of the ordinary!
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Fuel Injected!
    well, I'm out of boot camp, and going to try and get the car shipped to SC so I can work on it on the weekends, until I get it here though, I'm not making any progress.

Fuel Injected!
    Nice build! I love the welded intake.
    And I have to ask, did you complete Marine boot camp?

Fuel Injected!
    No, I'm in the Navy, hoping to be on submarines, but right now I'm in school.

Fuel Injected!
    Figured this post needed a couple of updates...

I'm stuck up here in charleston until mid november, I'll get a week or so off to go home, where I will try to get the Fiero put together enough to trailer up here and start wrenching on again.

In the meantime, I bought a truck as a DD beater:

1970 GMC 1/2 ton

tired carbed 327(might be a 350, SPID says 350, casting number says 327)

Future plans include a vortec 4200 I6 and 4L65e out of a trailblazer or envoy.

how do I plan to do it?

I'm going to attempt to mount a envoy fuel sending unit in a 31 or 40 gal suburban gas tank under the bed for the fuel system, use a swap crossmember to mount the 4L65e, and the build engine mounts from there. because the 4200 is narrower then the old SBC, the plan is to make adapter mounts that go from the block to the SBC engine mounts on the frame.

Super accurate to scale model of what I mean by that:

instead of the engine mounts bolting directly to the block, they would bolt to extensions bolted to the block(green area)

the other major hurdle is the oil pan, the oil pan on the 4200 is a front sump pan, whereas almost everything else GM (including my truck) was designed for a rear sump. for this, I'll just weld up a new pan out of steel and use the vortec 3500(I5 in the colorado/canyon) oil pump pickup. the block is a deep skirt block, and the oil pan rail is flat all the way around, so it shouldn't be too terribly hard to pull off.

other then that, it's all wiring and parts selection. should make for a fun, unique, daily driver.

Super Moderator
    the L6 would clear up a lot of space for....... snails and such.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    all snails do is restrict your exhaust, what's the fun in that???

Fuel Injected!
    thread needs an update...

[car guys anonymous introduction]hello, my name is Eric, and I have a problem... [/car guys anonymous introduction]

now I have 2 1970 GMC's, one 1/2 ton, one 3/4 ton. I'm going to mix and match the two to make one nicer truck on the heavier 3/4 ton frame, and I've started thinking about the 4200 again.

anyone tow with a 4200? how do they take it?

Started swapping the cabs, here are the progress pics from the past 2 days.

Fuel Injected!
    fuel line decided to spray fuel like a firehose... other one barely dripped...

lifted the 1/2 ton cab off...

rolled the 1/2 ton frame out and the 3/4 ton frame in...

Set the Cab down...

and this was how I left it...

Out with the old rotten core support...

in with the "new" core support.

front sheet metal installed

drove it home...