Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: first time start up!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpoliteness View Post
    Ok! I re-flashed to 0* initial bin, 0* definition and 0* bias. Also, I've reset the dizzy to 0*. I redid my idle speed to bring up the idle a touch. That helped my stalling. Re-setting the dizzy actually made more consistent power, but it's still a pig on the bottom end. I'm going to go out and take a good log this evening. I imagine my fuel is probably pretty close (after changing the VE tables) and the timing will need a lot of help.

Here's my new BIN!

One weird issue. I'm still reading a lot of timing thru Tuner Pro @ idle. 25* or so, even when I'm reading 0* with the timing gun. Is it possible I've got the P and N terminals switched? I believe I've got the correct colors to them from the distributor.
    With everything set @ 0*, and verified with the bypass unplugged @ timing marks w/ timing light you should read 0*.
    When bypass plugged back in, you should read the timing value that matched the idle cell(s) in your timing table @ marks w/ timing light.
    Keep in mind 7427 has the dynamic timing feature enabled so @ idle it will adjust/bounce around a few degrees.

So if your timing table has say 26* @ idle that's what you should see w/ the timing light @ idle.
    Or if you rev & hold to 1500rpm your timing light should read the matching value(rpm/map) from the timing table.

If it is not, something is wrong.
    Tony

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (aka Babywag)
    '67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Fuel Injected!
    Great success!! I just confirmed that with the bypass plugged in and @ idle and @ temp my timing should be 29.9 and I'm right there. I drove it around the block and this is the best it's run yet. When I had the carb TOTALLY dialed in and in ideal weather conditions it made this kind of power. What's great is no more fuel smell, no more soot all over my sidewalk!

Great success!! I just confirmed that with the bypass plugged in and @ idle and @ temp my timing should be 29.9 and I'm right there. I drove it around the block and this is the best it's run yet. When I had the carb TOTALLY dialed in and in ideal weather conditions it made this kind of power. What's great is no more fuel smell, no more soot all over my sidewalk!

Now get your fuel dialed in, then you can play with timing, AE, PE, etc..
    Sucks, but timing changes will alter/require adjustment to VE tables again.

I'm a big fan of FI on these things, they really run nice, and being able to just turn the key and drive off is soooo nice.
    What's really cool is you don't have to even open the hood to play.
    Wanna play with fuel/timing just a few keystrokes, vs. ripping the carb apart and swapping jets etc.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

Since you asked, on the AMC/duraspark pickup coil, the purple wire goes to the "P" terminal on the ignition module, and the orange wire goes to the "N" terminal.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Since you asked, on the AMC/duraspark pickup coil, the purple wire goes to the "P" terminal on the ignition module, and the orange wire goes to the "N" terminal.
    So "P" for Purple, and "N" for Not Purple? LOL
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Glad to see you got it running right!

Sorry I wasn't much help this weekend. :- (
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah, that's how mine is. 'P' for purple and 'N' for not purple. =D

No sweat, Ethan! You've been a huge help this whole way. I never would've got this thing running without you and Blake.

Took it for a 20 minute drive to get BBQ this afternoon and took a log. Judging by the near and off idle fuel trim cells I'm MUCH closer to stoich than I was yesterday. A little on the rich side. What's the formula for converting the cell numbers (128 and such) to Lambda? Like, I know that 128 = 1.00, but how do I figure out what 125 is? I've read some good threads on A/F ratio (thanks, Eagle Mark!) and have made the obvious transition to Lambda because of the amounts of Ethanol that shows up in the gasoline here in Denver. THAT bit of info has been helpful in my normal, daytime job.

There's still not as much of an accelerator pump feel as I'd like upon tip in. It doesn't really bog, it's just a bit piggy and then picks up. I'm guessing that the PE function?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sgtpoliteness; 05-12-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Yeah, that's how mine is. 'P' for purple and 'N' for not purple. =D

No sweat, Ethan! You've been a huge help this whole way. I never would've got this thing running without you and Blake.

Took it for a 20 minute drive to get BBQ this afternoon and took a log. Judging by the near and off idle fuel trim cells I'm MUCH closer to stoich than I was yesterday. A little on the rich side. What's the formula for converting the cell numbers (128 and such) to Lambda? Like, I know that 128 = 1.00, but how do I figure out what 125 is? I've read some good threads on A/F ratio (thanks, Eagle Mark!) and have made the obvious transition to Lambda because of the amounts of Ethanol that shows up in the gasoline here in Denver. THAT bit of info has been helpful in my normal, daytime job.

There's still not as much of an accelerator pump feel as I'd like upon tip in. It doesn't really bog, it's just a bit piggy and then picks up. I'm guessing that the PE function?
    AE = Acceleration aka tip in moderate pedal
    PE = Power aka hammering on pedal

VE adjustment = BLM#/128*VE

If it's just under 128 I'd leave it alone(123-127)
    A little rich is fine 128 is for emissions mainly not power.
    Lean cells are the priority.
    Try to get 'em all a little under 128.
    Tony

'67 Jeep J3000
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT8

What's the formula for converting the cell numbers (128 and such) to Lambda? Like, I know that 128 = 1.00, but how do I figure out what 125 is? I've read some good threads on A/F ratio (thanks, Eagle Mark!) and have made the obvious transition to Lambda because of the amounts of Ethanol that shows up in the gasoline here in Denver.
    BLM/128 = Lambda/Stoich
    so
    125/128=0.9765625 * the VE cell.
    or
    135/128=1.0546875 * the VE cell.

OMG! The math to adjust VE cells from BLM data is same as Lambda readings! Using Lambda must be way easier then AFR...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I've spent some time today messing with PE, because I can. Up until today never once in logging had PE come on. Going thru the scalars I found that most of the PE activations were set to way too high or way too low. I moved them to where I'd expect an accelerator pump to work, saved them, burned the chip and went about my merry way data-logging.

Eureka! PE now activates upon hammering on the throttle. My question is, how long are AE and PE supposed to stay on? I can adjust PE pretty easily to when it's on or off. When I hammer on the accelerator PE will activate for 2-3 seconds, usually shutting off when I lift. However, AE only clicks on and then shuts off. What's everyone else do?

PE should stay on as long as you are at WOT. AE is only on for a limited time to cover up the transition to WOT.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    PE should stay on as long as you are at WOT. AE is only on for a limited time to cover up the transition to WOT.
    Perfect! Thanks, Greg! Also, the max DC% I've gotten out of the injectors is right about 24%. Is that also normal? I've heard of guys maxing out duty cycle and switching to 454 injectors, but I'm guessing that's more for badass engine builds and not stock AMC 360's.

AE TPS is a very short burst to compensate for throttle blade opening.

AE MAP is longer, like 2 seconds to finish.

PE stays PE as long as qualifiers are met like TPS staying above xx%

Injector Duty Cycle is probably double what your reading as the math has been wrong for years so must TBI ADX files are wrong. Have to change the conversion, first post of this thread page:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...tor-math/page5

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    AE TPS is a very short burst to compensate for throttle blade opening.

AE MAP is longer, like 2 seconds to finish.

PE stays PE as long as qualifiers are met like TPS staying above xx%

Injector Duty Cycle is probably double what your reading as the math has been wrong for years so must TBI ADX files are wrong. Have to change the conversion, first post of this thread page:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...tor-math/page5
    This is what my equation is in my .adx. X*Y/60000*100

It reads on your post in the link that I should change it to this? (X*4*Y)/1200

Do I have that right?

Edit: Or X*Y/300 as Greg wrote.
    Last edited by sgtpoliteness; 05-13-2013 at 03:13 AM.