Thread: Having trouble tuning 88 TPI MAF setup

Carb and Points!

Having trouble tuning 88 TPI MAF setup

I have a 1970 Camaro that I have swapped the efi from an 88 Firebird into. The engine runs decent but I would like to tune it to get it running better. I made the mistake of changing a lot of things in the setup when I changed and many of my issues are due to that. It originally started as a 305. I now have the setup on a 350 with a fairly large cam(230@.050). I swapped to the Holley Stealth Ram intake. It has 26# injectors in it. I am running a manual trans if that makes any difference.

Ok now that the background is out of the way, I am using the TunerPro RT setup with the AutoProm. I have been fighting with this for some time now and can't seem to get it to work right. I recently downloaded the xdf definition off of this site to see if it would make a difference but it seemed no different. My problem I am running into is that when I run the car on the emulator it runs very rich and rough. I can't even get to the point where I can try to tune anything. I have downloaded the bin from my chip and also run the bin file off of this site. The bpw map is the same between both files and they both act the same when I try and run them.

I am quite frustrated with this situation and I would love any input that anyone could offer to help me get this tuner working right.

Thanks in advance.

A stock bin file is not going to run that engine very well, it's going to need lots of work. Here's and idea of how to start but it's a differant system.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...odified-engine

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Are you sure that the bin file is being uploaded to the AutoProm. When you say it runs rich when you attempt to use emulation, makes me think that maybe the bin file is not actually uploaded and is running on LHM.

Also be sure to disable checksum when you are emulating.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    I am pretty sure that the bin file is being uploaded right. I had an issue getting the right bin file a while back when I started doing this and it wouldn't even start. I had one time yesterday where I didn't have it loaded right and again it wouldn't even start. So I am pretty sure that is getting loaded fine. I am not sure what the LHM is and I am pretty sure that I have not disabled the checksum when emulating. Not really sure what that is exactly. I will play around some more today to see what I can come up with.

I agree EagleMark that I have a ways to go to get this thing just right. It does run surprisingly well. Midrange is pretty strong and cruise is good, it is just the idle and higher rpm range that is lacking. There is some good info in that other thread you mentioned but until I can get it to run right on the emulator I really can't do any of that. I have tried leaning things out in the fuel map when it is running but it is running so rich it doesn't seem to matter much.

Everytime you make a change to the bin the checksum changes, when you save it in TunerPro it automatically updates checksum. When emulating you have to disable the Checksum or it will cause an Error 51. Nothing works right after that. Clear Codes. Find Mask ID in TunerPro XDF and change it to AA and save, this disables checksum.

Always upload bin to emulator, verify, emulate, turn key on and CEL should come on, blink and stay on till engine is started. Then make your changes on the fly, check the error codes in Item list often.

That's a big cam! Turn idle up to at least 800 for now, more if you have a manual trans. Get spark advance at idle up to 23 degrees or so... careful, it has to drop when off idle.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Now that you say that about the mask ID I remember that I was supposed to do that from previous efforts to get this to work. I forgot this time however. Problem is I went all through the list on the side and can't find it. I vaguely recall having to do it differently but can't recall. I have been searching for this procedure, but can't seem to find???

One other question I had was on the data logging. I have the version 5 of the tuner pro now and it wants and adx file but there is only an ads file listed for my car. Is there some way I can still make this work.

You can convert an ADS to an ADX under the Acquisition tab.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Yup, Aqcusision, import definition.

Or if you go through this forum and look for your Mask ID, you'll probably find updated ones.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ams-Tuner-Info!

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    So I got it running again and it still is running way rich. It is setting a code 41 that says improper prom. Not sure if this is just kicking me into limp mode or not. I adjusted the desired idle setting to see if it was doing anything and the desired idle changed on the readout and the idle did increase. I then lowered it back down and it did bring the idle down. I am just not sure why it is struggling as badly as it is.

The other thing I was wondering about is the chip adapter that I have. The adapter that I got from Moates allows me to plug the cable from the Autoprom in and it has more pins coming off of the side of it to plug the rest of the chip in but the way they are oriented I can't plug the rest of the chip in and still fit it in the case of the ecm so I have been running it with just the part from the Autoprom. Could this be part of my issue also???

I think your car is $8D ?

Error 41 is cylinder select... did you put the Memcal on other side of adadpter?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...er-form-Moates

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by hugger70camaro View Post
    So I got it running again and it still is running way rich. It is setting a code 41 that says improper prom. Not sure if this is just kicking me into limp mode or not. I adjusted the desired idle setting to see if it was doing anything and the desired idle changed on the readout and the idle did increase. I then lowered it back down and it did bring the idle down. I am just not sure why it is struggling as badly as it is.

The other thing I was wondering about is the chip adapter that I have. The adapter that I got from Moates allows me to plug the cable from the Autoprom in and it has more pins coming off of the side of it to plug the rest of the chip in but the way they are oriented I can't plug the rest of the chip in and still fit it in the case of the ecm so I have been running it with just the part from the Autoprom. Could this be part of my issue also???
    that is almost entirely your issue. You need the MEMCAL plugged onto the side for proper LHM and RFD hardware settings. The easiest way to install it is to remove the blue cover from the MEMCAL, then plug it all in.

Carb and Points!
    I plugged the chip into the side there and I am good on the code now and it is running much better. I will continue to play with it and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for your help.

Carb and Points!
    Another question. I can't get the datastream to work. I have the adx file loaded and it shows that it is on the top line but I can't seem to get it to work. I am not quite sure of the steps required to make it come on line?

Have to clicked on the two blue arrows in the tool bar to connect to the car?