Thread: $42, ASDU, SA - PE Spark Added and Warm Bias?

Question $42, ASDU, SA - PE Spark Added and Warm Bias?

Is warm bias subtracted from "SA - PE Spark Added" (0x15E)

The ASDU bin has the values 4.92 @ 800, 2.11 @ 1200,1600, 4.92 @2000-3600

The reason I ask if warm bias is subtracted from this is because I would think you'd want to *retard* timing at WOT, not add it... ?!

Since you're talking about a richer mixture which burns faster...right?

And if 9.84 (warm bias) is subtracted you get -4.92, -7.73, -7.73, -4.92 ...

Thanks in advance (err...),

Michael
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - stock AMC 360 V8, 3" exhaust - 1227747 ECM - $42 ASDU - tc.wagoneer.org - www.bot-thoughts.com

Main spark bias. This value is subtracted from the Total SA in Main Spark Advance table. It's purpose is to bias the main SA table, so that negative advance values can be in the table as a positive number. (Next $42 version is automatically removed, you see actual timing!)

Cold spark bias. This value is subtracted from the Total SA. It's purpose is to bias the Coolant compensation spark table. Again, to allow for a negative advance in this table. (Next $42 version is automatically removed, you see actual timing!)

There is no PE Spark Bias.

I would think you'd want to *retard* timing at WOT, not add it... ?!

Since you're talking about a richer mixture which burns faster...right?
    Yes, if your Main Spark Table had enough timing to begin with, but it does not. It's a mistake to build an aggressive Main Spark Table and not zero out PE added spark. Same as if you add a lot of timing to idle for a cammed engine and do not take out "SA - Coolant Comp Spark Advance" or "SA - Start-up Spark Added"

Then there's "SA - Max RPM for Spark Slope" Max RPM used in the spark slope calculation starts at 3600 RPM. This is maximum value at which additional slope spark will be calculated to. Once this value is reached (you have it floored, right)?, the slope increase will be held at this value.
    based off this
    "SA - Spark Slope-Deg/1K Rpm" Slope in degrees per 1K rpm. This is the rate that additional SA will be added.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    There is no PE Spark Bias.
    Okey doke.

Yes, if your Main Spark Table had enough timing to begin with, but it does not. It's a mistake to build an aggressive Main Spark Table and not zero out PE added spark. Same as if you add a lot of timing to idle for a cammed engine and do not take out "SA - Coolant Comp Spark Advance" or "SA - Start-up Spark Added"
    Oh.

Ok, so, I guess I made that mistake. I was also wondering about coolant comp spark advance and start up spark added. Seems like you read my mind / train of thought...

Then there's "SA - Max RPM for Spark Slope" Max RPM used in the spark slope calculation starts at 3600 RPM. This is maximum value at which additional slope spark will be calculated to. Once this value is reached (you have it floored, right)?, the slope increase will be held at this value.
    based off this "SA - Spark Slope-Deg/1K Rpm" Slope in degrees per 1K rpm. This is the rate that additional SA will be added.
    I think what I have on hand is too much advance at higher rpms in the main SA vs. the spark slope-deg/1k, max rpm for spark slope, max SA.

Will start new thread to discuss a sane timing table for AMC V8 shortly as I hope it will help me and others.
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - stock AMC 360 V8, 3" exhaust - 1227747 ECM - $42 ASDU - tc.wagoneer.org - www.bot-thoughts.com

Yes, if your Main Spark Table had enough timing to begin with, but it does not.
    Should clarify, I did not meen you! I meent stock bin files.

I did see where you were going with PE spark, so why not add up all spark?

I've said many times before "So where did you say your timing is?"

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Should clarify, I did not meen you! I meent stock bin files.
    Sure, gotcha.

But... I made the mistake of using Bill's timing table from here without actually reading the rest of it talking about PE Spark. I hadn't zeroed that out and I suspect that I should have based on the main SA table I am running.

I did see where you were going with PE spark, so why not add up all spark?
    So, zero PE Spark and just use the main table? Yeah, that's my plan, now.

I've said many times before "So where did you say your timing is?"
    Indeed. Hence my queries in the other thread :)

Thanks!
    Michael