Thread: Adjusting the VE table, I'm not sure I understand it, but I tried it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Adjusting the VE table, I'm not sure I understand it, but I tried it.

So I finally decided to try and adjust the VE table since the numbers looked to be on the rich side.

I've read what seemed like several different ways of doing this and I'm not sure I understand it.

In any case, I decided to try it and see what happens.

The first two pictures are the blm and int with no changes made to the VE table.

The next two, I adjusted the VE table by using the formula where: BLM/INT*(VE1 value + VE adder)-VE ADDER. I then left the values in the VE adder table.

These were done the next day where I drove the freeway home so I could get into the higher rpm's to see where those numbers were sitting.

The next two are after an adjustment made to the higher rpm's and a long drive on the freeway.

I'm not real sure of how much closer I could get with them, but I am hoping that I've done the adjustments properly. It sure seems to run pretty nicely.

The freeway I traveled speed limit is 75 where 90 is not much of an issue if you aren't tailgating. The speedo max on my truck is 85, but I had her up to 90 by the gps reading and it felt like she had more to give. I just wasn't sure I wanted to take it further because who in the world knows when the last time that thing was past 80mph.

Also, if you look at the logs, the knock counts, I don't believe are correct. One of my logs showed a total knock count of 27, and I know that was bogus because the program started with 27 before I even started the engine.

The attached log is from Friday afternoon. No other adjustments were made prior to this log other than what was described above.

Anyways,

Thanks for any advice, criticism, and or comments.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    judging from the BLM history table youre pretty damn close, maybe keep the blm counts around 125 ish.
    '86 Grand National

Super Moderator
    yeah, you definitely took a step in the right direction based on what the BLMs look like compared to the stock table.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by damanx View Post
    . I just wasn't sure I wanted to take it further because who in the world knows when the last time that thing was past 80mph.
    I feel your pain on this one.

BLMs look close to me, I wish I could have gotten mine that close before I left off with it.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Even if you got your BLM closer today? They change with weather tomorrow. Your done there. Nice work!

I adjusted the VE table by using the formula where: BLM/INT*(VE1 value + VE adder)-VE ADDER. I then left the values in the VE adder table.
    I use a spreadsheet.

Next thing to look at is your VE table in Graph mode. As you have found out you can't hit all cells. If you are in one cell it does not use it alone, it is interpolated with the four surrounding cells to come up with the number. So if all you did was adjust the cells you kept hitting, then look at table in graph, you will have some peaks and valleys.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...4-7747-ve1-ve2

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Even if you got your BLM closer today? They change with weather tomorrow. Your done there. Nice work!
    Thanks!

Referring to the weather, I noticed a huge difference in how the engine ran with the carburetor, and it drove me NUTS!

The temp dropped off a little last night and the tables showed to be on the leaner side, but by 3 or less points here and there.

On the drive home, the numbers were in, so the change in weather and slight table differences make sense.

So, I wonder, if using the 512 chip with a bin for below 80 and one for above 80? Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by damanx View Post
    So, I wonder, if using the 512 chip with a bin for below 80 and one for above 80? Is it possible?
    Or you could not worry about BLM numbers and let the EFI do it's magic. Your so close to perfect it has loads of room either way to adjust to perfect for you. Think of it as automatic adjustable jets in a carb...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    ^ X2.

as long as your BLMs are consistent across the table, then you'll be perfectly fine. there are a lot of variables that will effect the fueling that the PCM just can't account for(humidity, for example), thats where the O2 sensor will come in and adjust. if you see BLMs of 124 across the entire table, then once the BLM drops to that after entering closed loop, it will be correct for all cells.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Or you could not worry about BLM numbers and let the EFI do it's magic. Your so close to perfect it has loads of room either way to adjust to perfect for you. Think of it as automatic adjustable jets in a carb...
    I agree with Mark! With BLM's that close, the Block Learn can do what it is designed to do!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I agree, I will leave those alone and run it like that for a while and see how she does, which is pretty impressive for this old beast, and not so much the engine, but everything else! LOL

This is probably a dumb question, but when running a log, does the playback speed matter?
    Last edited by damanx; 04-30-2013 at 02:39 AM.