Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to the site

Electronic Ignition!

new to the site

hello all. I am new and very interested in learning how to program old ecm s

Which ECM are you thinking about learning to program?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

Which ECM are you thinking about learning to program?

dave w
    I am looking at the gm 122747 in my 95 z-71. I bought a rebuilt 5.7l engine built for a drag car and I was told it had a mild cam, not much more than a towing cam. So I don't know muck about the motor except 4 angle valve job,flat top pistons and the heads were opened up. The problem I am having is ruff Idle not alot of power for what it should be, and not to sure where to put the timming. I havent put to much time into this but I am looking to start to get it all fixed. and help would be great. From what I have read my map sensor is no getting any vacume at Idle due to the cam.

Electronic Ignition!
    I have been reading other threads and noticed some 4l60e transmission tunning also. I have a 4l60e with a shift kit corvette servo, 12 vane pump and extra friction plates. It shifts really hard from 1-2 empty but loaded its good. I know I am asking alot please help

Quote Originally Posted by pickup man View Post
    I am looking at the gm 122747 in my 95 z-71. I bought a rebuilt 5.7l engine built for a drag car and I was told it had a mild cam, not much more than a towing cam. So I don't know muck about the motor except 4 angle valve job,flat top pistons and the heads were opened up. The problem I am having is ruff Idle not alot of power for what it should be, and not to sure where to put the timming. I havent put to much time into this but I am looking to start to get it all fixed. and help would be great. From what I have read my map sensor is no getting any vacume at Idle due to the cam.
    Well it should be getting some vacuum but because of cam it is lower, so ECM thinks it under load and adds fuel. There's tons of tricks for this and I can make a 1227747 start and idle just like showroom... of course off idle runs better then showroom.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I have been reading other threads and noticed some 4l60e transmission tunning also. I have a 4l60e with a shift kit corvette servo, 12 vane pump and extra friction plates. It shifts really hard from 1-2 empty but loaded its good. I know I am asking alot please help
    That's common after a built. You can increase shift delay time which helps smooth the shifts.

-= =-

If you have a 4L60E, then you should have a 16197427 PCM. If you can get the BCC marked on the MEMCAL, more of what you need can be determined.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    This is all great news. the tranny I had done two years ago and still havent broke 5000k on it,my truck don't get driven much. so some of the the things I need to but and do are a bit confusing cause nothing is really together but all here. I would love for the truck to start up and run better than new. what should I do and what will i need? I will get a vacuum reading as soon as I can. I have never done anything with computers and it is not my strong point. but willing to learn. I have called alot of performance shops that tune computers in my area but no one touches these old ones. what is the cost range to do something like this?

Electronic Ignition!
    do you know where the bcc is in a truck? I will look for it tonight and get the numbers

Electronic Ignition!
    I am sure the computer is a 1227747 but I will look again and open it up and get the numbers.

The 16197427 PCM will have red / blue connectors. The 1227747 ECM will have black connectors. It would be very odd to have a 4L60E without the computer having red / blue connectors.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The 16197427 PCM will have red / blue connectors. The 1227747 ECM will have black connectors. It would be very odd to have a 4L60E without the computer having red / blue connectors.

dave w
    my truck is very odd. The tranny is 95 only and the engine and engine controls are pre 95. the interior stuff is like 96 and up, but with suttle changes. it can be a pain getting parts. I will look again. I know I need the proper numbers to do what I need. thanks for the help so far everone

I thought he had two vehicles? The 4L60E vehicle can't have a 1227747...

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    well I made a fool of myself sorry guys. my computer is 16197427. I think I was thinking of my old truck with the 1227747 computer. I should have knowen what was in this truck cause I replaced the computer two years ago. so now that I have the right numbers what else do you need to know?

well I made a fool of myself sorry guys. my computer is 16197427. I think I was thinking of my old truck with the 1227747 computer. I should have knowen what was in this truck cause I replaced the computer two years ago. so now that I have the right numbers what else do you need to know?
    We all make mistakes. No big deal.

The basics come to mind, memory adapter board, ( https://www.moates.net/g1-memory-ada....html?cPath=64 ) a chip programmer ( https://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pr....html?cPath=64 ) and a chip ( https://www.moates.net/c2-sst-27sf51....html?cPath=26 ). Software ( http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm ) ( http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm ) and hardware ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ght=aldl+cable ).

Couple hundred mouse clicks and you are good to go.

dave w