Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setting base timing for performance cam

A few screen shots to show the "BPW Math" 305 vs 350.
    Including a actual factory programmed BPW.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    A few screen shots to show the "BPW Math" 305 vs 350.
    Including a actual factory programmed BPW.

dave w
    A stock 80s 305 with that cam, a pair of long tube headers, good exhaust and good tuning makes around 240-260 hp at the flywheel, dyno'd 191 RWHP/268 RWTQ on a Mustang dyno. The stock 305 injectors will not support that amount of HP without drastically raising the pressure. The older smog heads also do not burn fuel as efficiently as the TBI heads, which further increases the fuel requirement.

The reason I suggested the 350 injectors is because they are closer to the fuel requirement of the engine in question.

I was running this engine setup when RBob introduced the EBL Classic. His out of the box LG4 calibration for his Elcamino ran my "rv" cammed 312 very well with only slight tweaks.

My prior calibration was the 92 299 ecm. AWLD and 350 injectors were far more driveable than the stock 305 calibration. The 350 calibration did not have enough TPS AE either and wanted to lean pop on quick throttle transitions. With the 305 injectors it ran so lean that the headers would glow.

This exact setup is actually what pushed me into TBI tuning to start with.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-27-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I'm running rams horns since they are the only thing that fits. My truck came with an inline 6. Narrow frame rails.

Of note... Summit techs told me my 15InHg idle vacuum was not caused by the cam. Since I had no external vacuum leak they suspected an internal leak. Last weekend I pulled the intake and replaced with with Oring gaskets. Last night was the first chance I had to time it. I set it to 19* base and limited vacuum to 14* (53 total). Today I had a chance to drive it. Drives nice and has 19InHg at idle. I took it for a drive and had a long steep hill climb on the way back. It now pings bad at low RPM. It never did that before. So I'm going to have to start dialing back the timing and work on my vacuum can to limit it. Just until I am ready for the TBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    A stock 80s 305 with that cam, a pair of long tube headers, good exhaust and good tuning makes around 240-260 hp at the flywheel, dyno'd 191 RWHP/268 RWTQ on a Mustang dyno. The stock 305 injectors will not support that amount of HP without drastically raising the pressure. The older smog heads also do not burn fuel as efficiently as the TBI heads, which further increases the fuel requirement.

The reason I suggested the 350 injectors is because they are closer to the fuel requirement of the engine in question.

I was running this engine setup when RBob introduced the EBL Classic. His out of the box LG4 calibration for his Elcamino ran my "rv" cammed 312 very well with only slight tweaks.

My prior calibration was the 92 299 ecm. AWLD and 350 injectors were far more driveable than the stock 305 calibration. The 350 calibration did not have enough TPS AE either and wanted to lean pop on quick throttle transitions. With the 305 injectors it ran so lean that the headers would glow.

This exact setup is actually what pushed me into TBI tuning to start with.