Thread: Hello!

Electronic Ignition! jimmykicker's Avatar

Hello!

Hey guys, I am brand new to the site. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I am the proud owner of a 1984 Chevy S10 exteneded cab. It was originally equipped with a 2.8L V6 and a Rochester 2bbl carburetor. Let's just say it was slow....I put a 4bbl Holley carb on it and it ran a lot better, but wasn't great on gas. I replaced the 2.8 in 2010 with a GM crate 3.4 engine and it ran pretty good, but after 7 years the carb was getting tired and it was "lumpy" and got terrible fuel economy. I never could really get it tuned properly, so I got a wild hair to convert it over to EFI. I recently installed an 87 model harness and 8062 ECM into the truck and just got it running. It runs FANTASTIC compared to the 4bbl and the mileage seems to be much better although I don't have a figure yet. Power is much smoother that I am running it with 4.3 injectors in a factory intake that is bored out to match the 4.3 throttle body that came from an Astro van.

I am BRAND new to tuning. I am about to get me an ALDL cable and start messing with this. Other than my experience and knowledge of installing this setup, I have ZERO knowledge of it otherwise when it comes to tuning other than a few documents I recently read. Please be cognizant of that because I am probably going to say some things and ask some really dumb questions.

Excited at the prospect of learning something new.

If you can do all that and know how to use a computor, then you can learn the tuning as well. Time is consumed during this process!

Lot's of newbs start off here and then turn to helpers and teachers. No flamming here so your safe!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post

If you can do all that and know how to use a computor, then you can learn the tuning as well. Time is consumed during this process!

Lot's of newbs start off here and then turn to helpers and teachers. No flamming here so your safe!

Thanks! Definitely a newbie. Yeah I can handle a PC. I do technical support for a chain of 100+ hospitals, so that much I am good on the PC aspect. It was pretty challenging to do the swap with little knowledge. S10 forum members helped me a lot.

I am going to run it like this for a couple of years and when I get froggy I am going to try a 3.4 Camaro SFI system on it and see how that works out. Feel like I could do it now, but I have thrown way too much time and money in it for now. Plus I am just enjoying how much better it runs all the way around. Heck, I think it has MORE power now with the bored out TBI intake than it did with the 4bbl.

Super Moderator
    good to see some 2.8 S trucks staying with a 60V6 instead of just SBC and LSx'ing it to death like 99% of owners do.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Thanks Robert. This is a pretty nice old truck for 84. Just needs painting is all. I don't like the idea of hacking up my truck just for the sake of power when there are other ways to keep her going and develop power. This truck has about the power of a 305 V8 easily, and I don't have to pull the motor to put a starter on it.

It's hardly stock, but it is mostly stock stuff from later trucks or cars. It sure would be a confusing mess for anyone that doesn't know her. Looks like a 2.8...not. Supposed to be carbureted...it's not. Has a bored intake and throttle body, has a V6 Cavalier electric fan instead of the factory. Has serpentine belt system from a 90 model on it instead of v-belts. Had Edelbrock headers....Fiero valve covers (those gaskets are a pain to get!) ...lots of stuff, but not some hack job. About to get Blazer Brakes. But to the average joe when you pop the hood it looks mostly like stock stuff which is what I think is neat....especially when you drive it and realize that it is no stock 2.8 S truck. :-)
    Last edited by jimmykicker; 04-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.