Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Equipment - Laptops!

Fuel Injected!
    Thinkpad for life.

No disrespect to the Toughbook crowd, though.

I know most of you guys are into laptops that are used, but this could be an option to get into a brand new Dell XFR for about 1/4 of the price. http://www.parts-people.com/index.ph...=item&id=13138
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Here it is if you have a battery and adapter, better pics too. http://www.parts-people.com/index.ph...=item&id=12901
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

That's pretty cool! Never saw one before...

Then theres Itronix!
    http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:XR-1

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's pretty cool! Never saw one before...

Then theres Itronix!
    http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:XR-1
    Close to $4000 new, which is probably why. Surprised me they let panasonic have that market for so long, Dell has a major foothold with government agencies and IMO someone there really dropped the ball by not noticing that market sooner. Anyhow, I think by the parts houses selling them as kits, they get around paying big bucks for microsoft licensing and mil-spec. It's also last years model but for what we need them for, the durability and portability is the most important part. Anti-Glare touch screen is nice for a car also.

Quote Originally Posted by mekkis View Post
    Thinkpad for life.

No disrespect to the Toughbook crowd, though.
    Agreed. Well, pre lenovo because I think the quality has went down the shitter with them.

Still my tuning computer is a T42. It's officially the last device I own that has a parallel port to run my 10+ year old programmer. (shown in the left corner of my desk here.)

It's the same computer that i use to run my mini CNC too (again because of the parallel port >:( )
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

I hate to ask what the chainsaw is used for...

So what's with the thinkpads? Are they just quality stuff that lasts?

-= =-

Mine is a Lenovo ThinkPad T61... It was an off lease corporate unit, got it for ~$200. Cant beat it. Plus it has the little track stick in the middle of the keyboard... I cant stand the touch pad.
    -Frank

1987 GMC Suburban K2500 400SBC, TH400 Trans, 3.73 Gears
    1995 GMC Suburban K2500 454BBC, 4L80E Trans, 3.73 Gears

I hate to ask what the chainsaw is used for...
    "emergencies"

So what's with the thinkpads? Are they just quality stuff that lasts?
    Thinkpads are (were) quality computers. Metal cases, great driver support with quality chips from reputable companies, hardware level Fn keys (for stuff like sound, brightness, keyboard light, et c), bitchin' docking stations, keyboard joystick, plus more.

Toughbooks are also great machines. They have different levels of ruggedness, but all seem pretty quality on the outside and also have decent internal design. Problem is they are pretty expensive, like alot more than a top of the line thinkpad. And as far as tech goes, they can be a little behind comparatively.

Dont get me wrong though, they are in their own class of awesome. Seems like you got a pretty good deal on yours. I have a dream of getting a RAM mount for my truck and throwing a toughbook on it like the POs.
    Last edited by bentrod; 04-29-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by bentrod View Post
    I have a dream of getting a RAM mount for my truck and throwing a Toughbook on it like the POs.
    I just ordered one...

I rarely drive anywhere without testing or data logging something and the wife is getting tired of sharing the seat...

So far the anti glare screen is the best option this Toughbook has for tuning along with FN keys for screen brightness etc... serial port for wide band, some really quality software for things like battery re calibration, LAN disable time to save power if not in use, Bluetooth and even a switch to turn off wireless for security and power saver. I was lucky to find an original windows for the Serial number and has all manuals etc... neat toy, for the money, I can't see spending that kind of cash these cost new.

-= =-

Have to add the Touchscreen is quite handy too now that I'm getting used to using it!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Have to add the Touchscreen is quite handy too now that I'm getting used to using it!
    That was the best part of the CF-29 I have, unfortunately, the touchscreen just died.....

Then, I managed to kilk the back light because apparently, you don't want to unplug the connector on the motherboard to the inverter with either the battery or the ac adapter plugged in.

Fortunately, the doorstop cf-28 had the chip I needed to replace the bad OR gate.

Now to figure out how to get that touchscreen fixed.

A couple of pics of the chip that had to be replaced, using a microscope and a VERY STEADY hand......

IMAG1019_zpse6e15240.jpg

IMAG1020_zps20d1ffaf.jpg
    Last edited by damanx; 04-30-2013 at 05:31 AM.

You'll find yourself pressing on the screen of non-touch laptops after you get used to using the TS. I've had my touch screen Acer since late 2010 and the only thing I don't like is the shiny surface. I'll end up buying one of those Dells I posted above and outfit it with a SSD, then I'll be set for all my portability uses, EFILive, Tunerpro, Logging, etc.

I also design and coordinate building systems in Navisworks and Revit, a Laptop just doesn't have the balls to do that effectively, it's much better to have two different computers. A desktop with some horsepower, and a notebook that is durable for toting around and throwing in cars.

oh yea I can see that, esp when sitting in a car. I was debating getting a tablet or TB for the truck really...still up in the air. BTW I'd be interested in some pictures of how you end up mounting the ram mount just for some ideas!

I'm not sure I'm going to like the Ram Mount? Find out when it gets here. It will make some more room when the wife is with me... but like I said I have a strict rule of no tuning while driving after a near death experience! I've gotten used to my route of town and freeway on off ramps and parking spots. Put laptop on steering wheel and stomach and do my thing, record and drive again... no near death experiences since!

But if I make some big dashboards for particular items I can't see it being more then a glance at gauges?

Then where it's mounted will be like typing one hand? Touchscreen may help that, but again only when parked... or I'd have to remove it and put on steering wheel again, back and forth...

Streets and Trips is awesome for planning out a route for friday or saturday garage sales so that should work good in Ram Mount. GPS speed from the software works great for dialing in Speedometer.

-= =-