Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tuning Equipment - Laptops!

Fuel Injected!
    Just trying to make some decisions on setting up an older XP laptop dedicated to tuning. Keep XP or update to 7, run antivirus, if updated to 7 any compatibility issues with any of the "older" tuning suites, etc.

If it's going to be a isolated laptop, seems some of the normally running stuff could be eliminated to lessen chances of conflict.

Seem to remember stories of OBD1(probably LT1 mostly) bricking easily if background stuff would happen to scan or pole while attempting to flash.

My dedicated tuning laptop is a Panasonic Toughbook running XP pro. Still has wireless and Ethernet. Still run True Image 2013 for backup once a week and Non Stop backup along with Sync to my other 2 laptops. Really the only thing it's missing as a dedicated tuning PC is no image software? Music? Video player etc...

No problems with TunerPRo, TunerCat, EFI Live, WinFlash, OBDII Winflash etc... same with my desk laptops that runs Windows 7. TunerCat just needs to be installed and run as XP service pack 3 compatibility mode.

Your right about the flashing, no interruptions. But I have had a screen saver come on, screen turn off, email pop up and no issues. Just can't let laptop turn off or restart or something take away big CPU power! Loose USB or ALDL connection. For the power management I have an always on setting! I don't have any other programs running that may cause a big CPU draw, my backup software goes to hardly any CPU draw if anything else is running. Just my experience. There was also reports of some garage door openers causing flash issues? RFI? That is a weird one... CB radios keyed up do cause enough RFI to mess up a flash, onstar or alarm systems can cause issues. Weak vehicle battery is probably more a concern, herd of one brick because the passenger door had opened? So was it an alarm issue or weak vehicle battery? Laptop battery charge is another bigger issue! I have a 60% charge rule that has not failed yet., I do check charging systems and load test battery before doing in car flash.

Your absolutely correct though, the least running the better.

I've got about 100 reflash under my belt and still no bricks or doorstop PCMS!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I am running a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 Full rugged with waterproof lit keyboard.I just upgraded the hard drive to a SSD and removed the optical drive and installed a secondary 500gig slave drive. That means no more moving parts! During our last off road trip it decided to slip off the backseat of the suburban 3.5 feet down to asphalt on its corner. Picked it up and it boot right up no data loss. I am runnign XP ro on it. I will say that the SSD drive really brought new life into this old work horse. It is the Laptop and only laptop we trust out on the trails.

This will be running our Tunerpro software along with Live GPS data logging and a bunch of other fun software.

aaa.jpg

Current: '91 1500 Suburban (3rd owner), 350 TBI, 700R4

TBI system: RV Morse Bored TB - Matched FIs - Adjust. fuel psi regulator - Injector pod spacer - RV Morse Powerplate - Hypertech "salad bowl"

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fuel Injected!
    Lenovo T500 i bought off ebay for 130+30 for oem charger. took it all apart cleaned and applied new antec formula7 thermal compund. It has 4gb ddr3, dedicated gpu, t9400 core 2 duo, 160gb hdd, and win 7 ultimate. great magnesium chassis for a rugged laptop. Its my take everywhere laptop and it should be great for tuning.