Thread: Geartrain noise in 4L60E second gear causing "knock" retard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Over tightening will do it and ruin the knock sensor.

Strange how OBDI knock sensors match engine displacement? Can you compare a 305 cal/bin/tun and a 350 cal/bin/tun? In EFI Live there's a ton of Knock sensor settings.

What's a HP Tuner file extension?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I believe they are .BIN files. That being said I have a EFI Live .TUN file for both the 305 and 350 Express vans.

Super Moderator
    HPTuners uses .HPT.

also, having a sensor too loose will also pick up false knock, or at least it does on 60V6 applications.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I don't suppose you ever get to 4400rpm in 4th... 2nd and 4th gear in the 4L60Es run the rear planetary gearset, and it's possible that this particular trans may have some needle bearings starting to wear. How many miles on it? Also, does it make any gear noise in reverse?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlock9c1 View Post
    I don't suppose you ever get to 4400rpm in 4th... 2nd and 4th gear in the 4L60Es run the rear planetary gearset, and it's possible that this particular trans may have some needle bearings starting to wear. How many miles on it? Also, does it make any gear noise in reverse?

Never have heard any noise in reverse. This trans is the original from 97 and has 80,005 miles as of this morning. Transmission has been JUNK since 38,000 miles. Just keeping it until I find the time to track down a 4L80E, rebuild it and swap it in.

Considering 3,100 rpm in 4th is 101 mph, 4,400 rpm is not going to happen with the current gearing and tire size.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-15-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    On a side note, I was driving home tonight with the windows down on the service road, next to an elevated highways retaining wall and ran it WOT from 0 through 75 mph. The whine I am hearing may even be accessory whine as its there in 1st gear too.

Ramjet timing tables woke this pig up. Also noticed a strong correlation between the 0411 MBT map and the Ramjet maps. On 93 octane a vortec 350 should have no issue at 30-31° of timing.

Fuel Injected!
    Do you have an underdrive pulley laying around that you could install to see if that changes the sound and the knock? Are the belt and tensioner in good shape (maybe it is slipping)?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The 60E is a TRASH transmission
    I've built 700's for 502, supercharged 383's (600 rwhp) and nitrous cars... have had a couple issues, but they're still running....
    the planets are actually bigger than 4L80E, but the hard parts actuating things are different, and the 80E does have an extra planet in front for overdrive, it for sure is heavier duty. Will be good to know how stuff works out...
    Last edited by greggbruceauto; 04-20-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by greggbruceauto View Post
    I've built 700's for 502, supercharged 383's (600 rwhp) and nitrous cars... have had a couple issues, but they're still running....
    the planets are actually bigger than 4L80E, but the hard parts actuating things are different, and the 80E does have an extra planet in front for overdrive, it for sure is heavier duty. Will be good to know how stuff works out...
    I tore the case lugs off the side of the case in one. Broke the "beast" sun shell in another and broke an aftermarket input drum in another. Each time it looked like a grenade had gone off inside. The weakest point gave out and when it failed, took the whole unit out. I had one that cracked in the bellhousing area as well on a stock 2.8 S-truck.

I picked up the ATSG manual on the 4L80E and plan to build it myself. I will let you know how it works out. The beefier OD is one of the main things I am after, since I plan to swap either 4.10 or 4.30 gears into it and will be towing in OD.

Fuel Injected!
    I tore the case lugs off the side of the case in one. Broke the "beast" sun shell in another and broke an aftermarket input drum in another. Each time it looked like a grenade had gone off inside. The weakest point gave out and when it failed, took the whole unit out. I had one that cracked in the bellhousing area as well on a stock 2.8 S-truck.

I picked up the ATSG manual on the 4L80E and plan to build it myself. I will let you know how it works out. The beefier OD is one of the main things I am after, since I plan to swap either 4.10 or 4.30 gears into it and will be towing in OD.
    very cool -- not too difficult to do, the 60's and 80's are easier than the other brands (engineered WAAAAYYY better)...and practice makes you better....
    I figured out on a couple of them the reverse boost valve "upgrade" made too much pressure and broke things.
    also the pressure regulator spring "upgrade" in some of the shift kits do the same thing. I lowered the pressure (stock spring) a little and hit the magic button, things stayed together better.....

Super Moderator
    I had one that cracked in the bellhousing area as well on a stock 2.8 S-truck.
    you know something is awesomely engineered when a ~125HP/~155TQ engine in a ~2700 lb vehicle can kill it.

i've had bad experiences with 700R4s in the past.... not so sure i would want to deal with another or something that was derived from it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E