Thread: Another Kraut says Hi to the US

Carb and Points!

Cool Another Kraut says Hi to the US

Hi folks,

I'm Konrad from Duesseldorf in Germany. I do run a couple of american V8's and totally into american Motorsport.
    We are running a small Drag Racing team over here and our working horse, '95 Chevy C3500, is causing me a lot of headache.
    That's how I enden up here. I do hope to find some hints and tipps about the electronical set up to our blown 454 BBC.
    Due to a ignition blow up my Eprom went down the toilette and I can't find a new prom for this model. The ECM we have already changed so we could nail it down to the prom. It runs fine without the JET chip on top of it, which I have ordered a new one but still the same problem.
    So I will start to search thru the forum and see if I can find some hints. If you know where to get a new prom for the BBC I have all numbers here, please trop me line.

Have a great day and Howdy from the old world.

Cheers,
    Konrad

Super Moderator
    Howdy from someone's family who moved out of the old world not so very long ago.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

What exactly is the problem?

What PCM?

Jet chip won't fix anything except empty your wallet, is it installed with an adapter? Which way is notch on chip?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...er-form-Moates

How is it handling boost?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thx for the warm welcome.
    The problem with our set up is, that as soon as well attach the JET chip the engine runs rough and idles like a wet dog shakes.
    I have this problem since the ignition box died with a big bang. It was a Crane ignition in it. The engine is a 454 with a V1 blower and additional injectors. I run the original ECM #16197427 with the prom id 9495. We changed the JET chip, bought a new one, and the ECM but they always come without the chip. All cross changes didn't cure the problem, so the only thing that's left is the chip ifself. However I can't find an prom on this planet. The JET chip is placed directly into the ECM. Which wy I have to check and I can take some pic's tonight, my time. I have to got back to our racing base. The boost is / was handled good all the time in the past, it's just killiung me on juice when we pull out 44ft. trailer.
    I get an update to it later on.
    //Konrad

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    The problem with our set up is, that as soon as well attach the JET chip the engine runs rough and idles like a wet dog shakes.
    I like your description of idle! Most guys just say it runs like crap!

Best I can tell with prom ID is that is a BCC BMHM and was superseded twice to CAJR.

Do you have the original Memcal that came in the truck? What are the four letters on it? BCC code?

I can't see any out of the box chip working correctly for that engine, did it ever run well? We have looked at a lot of Jet chips and there's not much in there over a stock chip.

What are cam specs @.050 or spec sheet?

Can your read the chip? Do you have a laptop and cable to record data?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    I will check all this later on Mark.
    The truck did run fine before the ignition went into the sky. I thing all is stock on the ECM, so teh memcal as well. I will read the BCC tonight too.
    The truck is a SEMA show truck from 1995, so a lot of comapnies put on their stuff and played around with it.
    I doubt that they have done anything to the cam or motor internals, but you will never know. That damn thing is so low that I have a difficult job to park the trailer in the pits or going around town. You have to bear in mind, Germany is a small country and these trucks are not designed to make 90° turns
    However that's what I have to pull that double stack 44 ft trailer thru the wind and I would like to bring the juice cost down and with the towing program on the JET chip it was ok. Not nice but ok. Now we hitting 32 liters per 100km, which is equal to 7.5mpg
    If there is anything else I could do to make run a bit more efficent, tell me
    //Konrad

7.5 MPG pulling a 44 foot trailer and your complaining? ha! I got 1.2 MPG with a carb BB pulling a load cross country...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    a lot of recent diesel semis get around 8.... but i don't know if that's loaded or not.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Mark I had around 9mpg with a 6 metric tons of load. The biggest problem is the hight of the trailer. Double stacker so we talking of about 11.5 ft straight up into the wind. I do have a turbo wing here, but not installed yet. Don't like the idea to drill holes in my cabin. I have to take the pics tomorrow, it's already dark here when I got to the truck.
    //Konrad

Have you checked for error codes?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    That what I could find about the ECM
    ecm.JPG
    Does it help? Sorry all that EFI system stuff is new to me.
    //Konrad

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Have you checked for error codes?
    I have to talk to my mechanic about this. I just know, that anytime we fired the engine up the wacka wacka idle came up instandly.
    //Konrad

Administrator
    The JET chip is placed directly into the ECM.
    Merlin, what is the part number for the Jet chip? Or can you post a photo so we can see what it looks like?

7.5 MPG pulling a 44 foot trailer and your complaining?
    Mark, don't forget he's probably paying twice the price for fuel! It's priced in liter quantities to reduce the pain.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Merlin, what is the part number for the Jet chip? Or can you post a photo so we can see what it looks like?

Mark, don't forget he's probably paying twice the price for fuel! It's priced in liter quantities to reduce the pain.
    I will take the number of the JET chip tonight.
    Our prices are in Liter, so we have 1.60 Euro for a Liter of 95Oktan gas = $ 2 per Liter.
    So we pay about $7.6 per gallon, so every miles does count
    I know it is stupid not to run a diesel, but I have this rigg now as it is and do like it.
    We try to sell the big trailer, which has air pressure brakes with ABS system and all that stuff, but nobody came up with money.
    So we look into other option, like wing on the cabin roof and the towing module from a chip.
    Keep you guys posted and thanks for all the things so far.
    Cheers, Konrad