Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Tuning Question ie BIN recommendation

Rookie Tuning Question ie BIN recommendation

Thanks to EagleMark I have my 33 Chevy hotrod running. I’m new to prom burning and just yesterday figured out how to copy and save a BIN to a prom.

My SD 730 TPI engine is a 1979 SBC with flat top pistons, 305 heads and Crane Energizer flat hydraulic tappet cam Part 100052. We originally built the father/son engine for a 79 carb’d vette drove it about 2000 miles & just installed it (w/TPI) in my 33 Chevy project.

Problem is the engine was built as a "carbed motor":

Valve Lift 0.454 int./0.454 exh.,

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 216 int./216 exh.

• Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Here is the cam link:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-100052/

I know it’s not really ideal for SD TPI – but - have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a generic BIN available (until I figure out tuning) without VATS, EGR, emissions and setup for 700R4, 5.7, 22lb injectors for my engine that I could start with now?
    2. I installed a 195 thermostat, the car has an aluminum radiator with small (11) lb cap, to reduce warm up pressure could I use a 180 thermostat without problems instead?

Thanks
    Ed

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Thanks to EagleMark I have my 33 Chevy hotrod running. I’m new to prom burning and just yesterday figured out how to copy and save a BIN to a prom.

My SD 730 TPI engine is a 1979 SBC with flat top pistons, 305 heads and Crane Energizer flat hydraulic tappet cam Part 100052. We originally built the father/son engine for a 79 carb’d vette drove it about 2000 miles & just installed it (w/TPI) in my 33 Chevy project.

Problem is the engine was built as a "carbed motor":

Valve Lift 0.454 int./0.454 exh.,

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 216 int./216 exh.

• Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Here is the cam link:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-100052/

I know it’s not really ideal for SD TPI – but - have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a generic BIN available (until I figure out tuning) without VATS, EGR, emissions and setup for 700R4, 5.7, 22lb injectors for my engine that I could start with now?
    2. I installed a 195 thermostat, the car has an aluminum radiator with small (11) lb cap, to reduce warm up pressure could I use a 180 thermostat without problems instead?

Thanks
    Ed
    Ed,

I can speak from experience, you will have NO real issue running that cam on a SD setup after a little spark and fuel tuning. Even in my .030" over 305 with Vortec heads I had no problem getting it to have great street manners with TBI on a single plane intake. In the 305 I could make about 17-18 in/hg of vacuum at 750 rpm unloaded and maintain 15 in gear at 700. Your first issue is to get the idle timing into the right area. I am certain that it will like 24-26* of timing around idle and its going to idle around 40-50 KPA. Set your timing to 10* BTDC at the distributor with the timing wire disconnected and make the corresponding change in the .BIN file under the Distributer Initial Timing constant in the constants tab. This will help get the engine started easier without it wanting to windmill when cold, that is crank and crank without catching. Once you get the idle timing in the right area, you can start with the fuel tuning. To help get the engine to idle you can transfer over the idle are VE from the 30-40 KPA cells over to the 40-50 KPA range for starters. You can also raise the command idle up to 750 in park/neutral and 700 in drive. Also helpful once you are up and running is to adjust the minimum idle air rate screw on the throttle body.

Chris
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-07-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Chris...Thanks for the response..that's good news to hear. It'll be a while before I'm able to make the BIN MODS!!

Have plenty of other stuff to do anyway .
    Can I use the 180 thermostat with this setup?

Ed

Fuel Injected!
    Chris...Thanks for the response..that's good news to hear. It'll be a while before I'm able to make the BIN MODS!!   Have plenty of other stuff to do anyway . Can I use the 180 thermostat with this setup?   Ed
    170*F is what I ran in my TPI G20 Van with minimal changes to the calibration. The cooler you can keep the TPI setup the better it will run.

Fuel Injected!
    that cam isnt bad at all. im running a SBF with a E303, and the '730/$8D of course.
    '86 Grand National

Is there a generic BIN available (until I figure out tuning) without VATS, EGR, emissions and setup for 700R4, 5.7, 22lb injectors for my engine that I could start with now?

Thanks
    Ed
    Even if there was one, would it be right for your engine? Was it done properly for any engine? If you hired someone capable the first chip is just a starter so you have something to adjust from. Here's a link to what they would do to start. This is after mechanical issues are under control like fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, no error codes etc...
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...odified-engine

It'll be a while before I'm able to make the BIN MODS!!

Ed
    Why? You've obviously been around cars, built motors (what happened to the vette now it has no motor?) so you know something about spark advance and fuel. Same with EFI just more stuff! Your computer skills are up to par. Start playing with TunerPro RT software and read the link above, it'll all come together.

We're here as a support group so you have backup! We learn, we share, we help each other, we experiment... it never ends.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Thanks all for the support and encouragement. EagleMark FYI the vette needed body work and paint...for what the paint job would cost..we came out money ahead parting it out believe it or not.

Been reading the programing instructions and videos on the Internet (videos work best for me) but seems that for example the screen shots look different when I try it, can't locate the categories etc. Actually looking forward to learning to "Habla Binary" and will be asking for help.

Thanks
    Ed

The beauty of TunerPRo is you don't have to learn binary or hex. It turns the hex into usable English.

I don't think anyone has set up categories in $8D? So use Parameter Type puts them in three categories, Scalars, Flags and Tables. If you use Parameter Ordered List it shows them all.

You do have Parameter Tree open? In TunerPro click View and Parameter Tree to see them. Now you can see all the parameters in your bin file.

While your there, View Parameter Comments. Then you will see comments written about that parameter when it is open. Can also hover mouse over a parameter to see comments. Not all parameters have comments.

While your in there right click on the tool bar and choose them all. It's way easier to get used to Icons.

Take your three files, .bin, .adx and .xdf and save a copy somewhere. Then open the first set in TunerPro. Click buttons man! Try it out and see what it does! So what if you mess up, you have originals. Software is just like anything else in life, takes some time to figure it out and get good at it.

-= =-

Mark..thanks for the guidance..that helps it's starting to make sense. I normally experiment in the evenings..played all day today with the car...got to drive it under it's own power finally!

I'll give it another shot tonight...

Really appreciate the help on this site!

Ed

Just recently had some time to work on the car. I have an OTC Nemisys scanner...it is displaying Code 45 Electronic Spark Timing Error. Cleared it several times and immediately at start up..same display. Changed proms/ecms same thing. I'm going to install another set of injectors, distrib modules and pickup coil...want to do that anyway. My current distributor is a mix of parts.

I think the 22lb injectors are leaking because when I pull the plugs "cold" they look wet and smell of raw fuel. The plugs were fouled at one point and I had to clean them...car starts right up but lacks power (driving in my yard:-)

On a side note..have a problem with "mud wasps" filling the threaded holes in my extra intake manifolds and fuel rails...they may have worked on the fuel rail on this car. When I first started it and using a laser thermometer I noticed that a couple of cylinders were running real cold. Let it set over night and all -8- ran the same temperature. Figured I may have had some crap plugging the injectors at startup. (That's why I want to change them).

Questions:

Are 22lb injectors sufficient for this engine (have a set of 24lb LT1 injectors)

The AFPR is set at 46lbs..should I turn it down?

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    is the EST bypass disconnected?
    '86 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    is the EST bypass disconnected?
    First thing I checked...verified good connection and wire routing. Have the rebuilt distributor ready to go...wanted to see if there is there might be some injector size feedback..22lb or 24lb.

Thanks

Error code 45 is not EST! It's an O2 sensor High or rich.

If you have both 22 and 24 lb/hr injectors have the 24s serviced and use them. Can always take a little fuel out of tuning, but you can't add more then injector will give.

8 - 24 lb/hr injectors at 46 psi will handle about 384 HP.

8 - 22 lb/hr injectors at 46 psi will handle about 352 HP.

-= =-

First thing I checked...verified good connection and wire routing. Have the rebuilt distributor ready to go...wanted to see if there is there might be some injector size feedback..22lb or 24lb.

Thanks
    My mistake...it's Code 42 Electronic Spark Timing Error! Can't read my own writing...

My mistake...it's Code 42 Electronic Spark Timing Error! Can't read my own writing...
    Which Knock Sensor are you using?

dave w