Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $85 7060 "Choke AFR Enrichment at startup"

Well you dodged a bullet there as chevmasta found out. I think he put a 454 SS Spark advance table in it, didn't work well with a cabover camper towing a trailer. The last TBIchip.com truck I fixed, beside never ran right, had a 1994 trans bin in a 1995 Trans. The TCC is PWM and completely different in 1995. His truck runs fine now and he is having his brand new transmission inspected because the TCC issues that developed.

Here's some recent threads on TBI-Disaster-chips.com

Here's some recent TBIChips.com threads.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...50-vortec-swap

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-proram-issues

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ble-truck-soon

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...chips-com.html

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by chevmasta View Post
    Just as an FYI, I'm not done with the VE map with that bin. You'll see it's maxxed out up top. Even as it's maxxed out I was only seeing about a 132 on the BLM with those 99.x values. So I'm really close!

I need to change BPC to 150 and re-tune the VE map and see where that leaves me up top.
    Which BPW calculator are you using? Can you post it here? Ordering a 16PSI spring now, should put me up around 92 lb/hr
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Ordering a 16PSI spring now, should put me up around 92 lb/hr
    Might consider going external with the regulator , much easier to adjust and if you don't already have the capibility it does Vaccum reference . That cam will tend to idle a tad on the rich side with your combo .

DSC00245.jpg

P/N 13107 Aeromotive .

Good to see you over here and glad its up and running

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

I take it you gut the factory FPR and add that inline?
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Which BPW calculator are you using? Can you post it here? Ordering a 16PSI spring now, should put me up around 92 lb/hr
    Here's the GearHead-EFI.com version of a Calculator!

Open Office and MS Excel
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I take it you gut the factory FPR and add that inline?
    Yessir , Use an old regulator diagaphram , cut the center out of it and fashon a plate to block off the factory unit .

I also "mod" the fuel passages slightly in the hosuing itself , but thats another story .......

Good luck with the project .

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Here's the GearHead-EFI.com version of a Calculator!

Open Office and MS Excel
    This. Is. AWESOME.

One question. Can I duplicate the $OD wideband tab, lop off the 5200 to 6400rpm tables and use it for the wideband correction in my $85? Is the math the same?

If the RPM and MAP are lined up the same? Just use it without extra RPM. It's set for Lambda, not AFR.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Your truck must be a 92? My 80E I think was a dealer replacement, they had issues with them the first year and replaced, or paid to replace quite a few. I still have the notices with my window sticker and dealer paperwork. I'm very picky about my auto trans tunes, usually that is where I spend a good 70% of the time working with them. I might end up going with the EX switch myself. I take it that you like it?

I too was going to try TBIChips as a baseline but decided to just say screw it and got everything I needed right off the bat. I've done it with EFILive in more than a few LSx vehicles, the APU1, G1, HDR, Tunerpro, etc is a bargain compared to what I'm used to. There is a slight learning curve compared to what I'm used to but I always like to learn new stuff.
    My truck is a 93. I think a real early build 93. The trans has been rebuilt 2x with 216k on the truck. One time the rear output shaft seal went out, puked all the fluid into the t-case and smoked the tranny (the last time). an external cooler was added and my dad (who had the truck before me) hasn't had a problem since.
    I've always fought trans cooling issues. I had it at 240* once and several times at 235* when towing my camper/jeep or boat. From hot temps 100+ to 40*.
    I even have the derale deep trans pan with the cooling tubes that adds 4 qts to the system.
    The fix?
    I just installed the long tru-cool 40,000 GVW cooler and took the lines out of the radiator too. So the lines are run just trans to cooler and back.
    I also found the electric fan up front wasn't working. So I replaced it and wired it to a switch instead of the factory coolant switch at 225*.

All I wanted from my trans tune was to lean on the convertor a bit, and have it shift later in each gear. The transgo kit took care of the hydraulic problems in the trans and added the shift firmness and pressures it needs.

I would definitely recommend the G3 adapter, Ex switch and f090 chips. Gives you the ability to have 16 maps...although for me, probably 4 will get used at the most.

Last edited by chevmasta; 04-04-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Well you dodged a bullet there as chevmasta found out. I think he put a 454 SS Spark advance table in it, didn't work well with a cabover camper towing a trailer. The last TBIchip.com truck I fixed, beside never ran right, had a 1994 trans bin in a 1995 Trans. The TCC is PWM and completely different in 1995. His truck runs fine now and he is having his brand new transmission inspected because the TCC issues that developed.

Here's some recent threads on TBI-Disaster-chips.com

Here's some recent TBIChips.com threads.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...50-vortec-swap

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-proram-issues

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ble-truck-soon

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...chips-com.html

Yes, as I've posted before the TBIChips spark map for his 'towmaster' chip was nearly identical to the 454SS map (454SS has our same engine). But it hated my truck. Hated that map. He did add a LITTLE fuel but my truck has wanted WAY more fuel than the OEM bin.

I have his bin file.

I'm not going to rag on him. He has tuned some awesome vehicles. His stuff didn't work for me. And now I've found, donated, and need to donate again.....to this awesome website.

Please please please, one thing I've learned is do not trust the BPW/BPC calculation as it has not been entirely figured out yet. EagleMark knows this and we have found out lots of stuff on this over the last month.

The lower the BPW/BPC value the more headroom it has up top for higher RPM's.

The higher the BPW/BPC value the less headroom it has up top for higher RPM's.

Our big blocks spin low rpms relatively. My oil pressure is only 35psi. So I don't go over 3500 rpms generally. For me, this equates to a higher BPW/BPC value (and probably the need for relatively less fuel pressure).

Just keep an eye on your IDC's that is now a new feature in the .adx.

Fuel Injected!
    One question. Can I duplicate the $OD wideband tab, lop off the 5200 to 6400rpm tables and use it for the wideband correction in my $85? Is the math the same?
    If you can duplicate this....can you help me out with this?

I posted this thread because I want to add a wideband into my datalogging:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-with-TunerPro

LMK if your thoughts above work.

Just as an FYI I'm clueless as to what you were saying above. LOL

Fuel Injected!
    I'm able to get 16psi from the stock spring. I'm getting very close to maxing out the stock adjustment screw.

Your setup will need above 16psi though. Probably around 18-20 would be my guess. I would atleast start off at 18psi.....If you don't start with enough....you know the game. You'll be redoing the VE table again.

What is your maxium RPM you intend to run this at?

You're setup is a bit different than mine. I'm not going to have a heavy load on it all the time, usually it's just going to be my boat and it weighs around 2k, trailer and all. Eventually, I'm going to tune the VE from empty up to about 6000lbs with the stock timing and see how much of the table I can cover then go from there, making a heavy load chip and a normal one, similar to what you've done.

I'm able to get 16psi from the stock spring. I'm getting very close to maxing out the stock adjustment screw.

Your setup will need above 16psi though. Probably around 18-20 would be my guess. I would atleast start off at 18psi.....If you don't start with enough....you know the game. You'll be redoing the VE table again.

What is your maxium RPM you intend to run this at?
    Do these have an adjustment on them stock? I believe the heavier spring is 16-22psi. My goal for this weekend is to just get it drivable under idle and normal conditions so I can bring it up here with me without it puking raw fuel in my fresh engine. Wouldn't bother me if I need to re-do the VE table once I get it here and install the new parts. If this thing makes the power I think it will, I'll probably end up needing a vac referenced regulator at 18psi base pressure, but that remains to be seen. It's only a guess as to what the compression did to the BSFC of this engine.

I'm thinking a shift at 5200 WOT, but it could be less or a bit more, depending on what the engine wants.

Our big blocks spin low rpms relatively. My oil pressure is only 35psi. So I don't go over 3500 rpms generally. For me, this equates to a higher BPW/BPC value (and probably the need for relatively less fuel pressure).

Just keep an eye on your IDC's that is now a new feature in the .adx.
    Mine OP is 35psi hot at idle with 10-30 oil, but jumps up past 50 when revved slightly. I will switch to 20w50 synthetic once I pass 10k miles on this build.

Fuel Injected!
    You're setup is a bit different than mine. I'm not going to have a heavy load on it all the time, usually it's just going to be my boat and it weighs around 2k, trailer and all. Eventually, I'm going to tune the VE from empty up to about 6000lbs with the stock timing and see how much of the table I can cover then go from there, making a heavy load chip and a normal one, similar to what you've done.

Do these have an adjustment on them stock? I believe the heavier spring is 16-22psi. My goal for this weekend is to just get it drivable under idle and normal conditions so I can bring it up here with me without it puking raw fuel in my fresh engine. Wouldn't bother me if I need to re-do the VE table once I get it here and install the new parts. If this thing makes the power I think it will, I'll probably end up needing a vac referenced regulator at 18psi base pressure, but that remains to be seen. It's only a guess as to what the compression did to the BSFC of this engine.

I'm thinking a shift at 5200 WOT, but it could be less or a bit more, depending on what the engine wants.
    I modified my pressure regulator using this thread:
    http://gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/doc/TBI-AFPR.pdf

But the stock adjustment screw (that was brazed) is just about out of adjustment.

Mine OP is 35psi hot at idle with 10-30 oil, but jumps up past 50 when revved slightly. I will switch to 20w50 synthetic once I pass 10k miles on this build.
    I'd love to have that amount of oil pressure so I could have a lil more usable RPM. Right now I just pull the steep hills at 45mph in second gear about 3300-3500 rpm. I have more peddle, more go juice....just not enough oil pressure to make me comfortable.