Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $85 7060 "Choke AFR Enrichment at startup"

$85 7060 "Choke AFR Enrichment at startup"

Table looks like as follows under the AFR section.

My question is, is this a percentage or AFR point added to the fueling? Target AFR? or something else? My goal is to get a little less fuel during a warm or cold start. Right now it is so rich, it's fouling plugs at a warm or cold startup.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

The choke is usually short term... I looked at the $85 HAC_BAMW.src and found Open Loop AFR and this adder which may be the issue?
    Code:
     	;---------------------------------------------
        	; OPEN LOOP AFR vs VAC for COLD ENGINE
    		; AFR = SUM L84C1 + L8484
        	;
        	;  Dissassemby of BAMW LINES =  9
        	; 
        	;  TBL =  10  * AFR
            ORG $0484	;
    L8484   FCB  8     	; 9 LINE TBL    
    		ORG $0485	;   AFR          Kpa VAC
        				;---------------------------------
    L8485   FCB  30     ;   3.0            80
    L8486   FCB  30     ;   3.0            70
    L8487   FCB  30     ;   3.0            60
    L8488   FCB  30     ;   3.0            50
    L8489   FCB  25     ;   2.5            40
    L848A   FCB  25     ;   2.5            30
    L848B   FCB  20     ;   2.0            20
    L848C   FCB  10     ;   1.0            10
    L848D   FCB  0      ;   0.0             0

Remember everything is an adjustment off VE tables, so this may fix the issue at hand it may come back to bite you in the butt.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Remember everything is an adjustment off VE tables, so this may fix the issue at hand it may come back to bite you in the butt.
    This is what I'm grappling with. Should I mess with this now to temp fix it, or wait until I get the VE hammered out? I can't imagine the VE is that far off because once it was warm and idling it seemed to be ok (only a little rich) in open loop but I suppose I could be wrong. Here's my BIN file, I've tweaked the VE in the idle areas just a hair because this is just to get me started up and logging... without killing my fresh engine in raw fuel.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

You know all Axxx.bin were superceeded to Bxxx.bin? AWAW is now BAMT.

I don't know this mask well enough, I've only had a couple of these trucks hands on one day each, but when I do this I'm emulating so changes can be quick, I'd lean out one table for now
    "Open Loop Air Fuel Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp."

When warm your probably Closed Loop and getting fueling correction is why it's better.

What's the cam specs @.050 ? What is MAP when this is happening? I see you had Idle up a bit, depending on cam it may need a lot less VE at idle and some more spark.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You know all Axxx.bin were superceeded to Bxxx.bin? AWAW is now BAMT.

I don't know this mask well enough, I've only had a couple of these trucks hands on one day each, but when I do this I'm emulating so changes can be quick, I'd lean out one table for now
    "Open Loop Air Fuel Ratio Vs. Coolant Temp."

When warm your probably Closed Loop and getting fueling correction is why it's better.

What's the cam specs @.050 ? What is MAP when this is happening? I see you had Idle up a bit, depending on cam it may need a lot less VE at idle and some more spark.
    OK, I'll use the BAMT. Had no idea the original was superceeded, thanks for letting me know I'd rather work from the latest. My truck has AWAW in it stock, so it's what I went with. I will be Emulating/RTT also with the APU1 and associated hardware. In the tune I bumped up the idle timing areas 4 degrees and smoothed them into the stock table, along with the increased idle. I think this thing will end up idling nicely at stock RPM but I'll work my way down...

Here is the cam card from comp cams. It's pretty mild.

Kpa was 60 if I recall correctly but I was just looking at it through a solus scan tool, I didn't have my computer or software to log anything. First fire was with the chip dead stock just to get a feel for it before I came back home. Friday and this weekend I'll have my logging/tuning equipment so I will know more for sure then.

60 MAP is a horrible idle. But it looks like you did get an extra 4 degrees timing in that area and through smoothing the VE got a little less fuel... but idle does look stock, add 100-150 RPM till you get to work on tune, this will bring MAP way down in VE table to way less fuel. Should be able to get that cam to idle nice at 800 with some work.

Base timing in this mask is 3.87 at distributor.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I've recently tuned my virtually stock 454....way better than before with this 7060 $85

I can actually do a burnout with my 33" tall tires! Never before could it even think of doing a burnout on the stock bin.

attached is my current bin on a stock truck other than jba headers and 16psi of fuel pressure. You can see what I've changed vs my stock banc.bin
    mine has a 4l80e transmission
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    I had way better luck removing VE from the high map 400rpm tables than I did with the choke afr enrichment at startup table.

I chased a small puff of black smoke (probably due to the increase in fuel pressure) for awhile. Reducing the VE table caused it to go away.

Your truck should have some really good torque with that cam and compression ratio!

I'm excited to see someone else using this PCM
    Last edited by chevmasta; 04-03-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Thank you Mark, I was surprised to see the timing at 3.87 degrees base instead of the normal zero, but that jives perfectly with the timing procedure in the alldata manual, which is what we used. Tons of new info to chew on here, should be a productive few days of tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by chevmasta View Post
    I had way better luck removing VE from the high map 400rpm tables than I did with the choke afr enrichment at startup table.

I chased a small puff of black smoke (probably due to the increase in fuel pressure) for awhile. Reducing the VE table caused it to go away.

Your truck should have some really good torque with that cam and compression ratio!

I'm excited to see someone else using this PCM
    Thanks for the bins! I'll take a look and compare them to my current BAMT, it should help me pinpoint what needs to be changed a bit faster. Sounds like you have a similar ride. My burb also has the 80E, which will be something else to tune but I already have a lot of experience in that aspect. I'm mainly aiming to get it drivable this weekend so I can bring it home, then I can really spend some time with it.

Tq is what I was aiming for, even as it sits it feels very powerful off-idle. 3.73 rear doesn't hurt any in that respect either. I'll be sure to keep every one posted

It's an excellent PCM and came in some very cool trucks. Problem is just a couple years... and most of those trucks survived or were used commercially, wore out and died, so not a lot of conversions. I've been seeing more of them pop up recently for tuning help. In the 4x4 the trans and transfer case is a sought after unit.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Thank you Mark, I was surprised to see the timing at 3.87 degrees base instead of the normal zero, but that jives perfectly with the timing procedure in the alldata manual, which is what we used. Tons of new info to chew on here, should be a productive few days of tuning.

Thanks for the bins! I'll take a look and compare them to my current BAMT, it should help me pinpoint what needs to be changed a bit faster. Sounds like you have a similar ride. My burb also has the 80E, which will be something else to tune but I already have a lot of experience in that aspect. I'm mainly aiming to get it drivable this weekend so I can bring it home, then I can really spend some time with it.

Tq is what I was aiming for, even as it sits it feels very powerful off-idle. 3.73 rear doesn't hurt any in that respect either. I'll be sure to keep every one posted

Yeah in my bin above it has alters transmission shift points!
    I paid TBIChips for a "towmaster" bin and it didn't work at all for my truck....detonated so much the KS started over after 255 counts!
    So I bought everything to tune it myself. I bought the HDR1 to read his bin and then I copied all his trans parameters he changed over to my bin. I really liked the way the trans shifted with his bin. This is the bin I use as my "tow/haul" mode :)
    I have changed some of the values in the shift "time vs tps" because I have a transgo shift kit and it shifted way too hard in second gear with the TBIChips tables.

My other bins don't have the trans parameters....they are stock. So I switch to them with my Moates EX switch when the truck is unloaded.

I also have a high idle map that I can switch to when using my winch.

Dont worry, I Velcro'd the switch tight. lol

Fuel Injected!
    Just as an FYI, I'm not done with the VE map with that bin. You'll see it's maxxed out up top. Even as it's maxxed out I was only seeing about a 132 on the BLM with those 99.x values. So I'm really close!

I need to change BPC to 150 and re-tune the VE map and see where that leaves me up top.

Your truck must be a 92? My 80E I think was a dealer replacement, they had issues with them the first year and replaced, or paid to replace quite a few. I still have the notices with my window sticker and dealer paperwork. I'm very picky about my auto trans tunes, usually that is where I spend a good 70% of the time working with them. I might end up going with the EX switch myself. I take it that you like it?

I too was going to try TBIChips as a baseline but decided to just say screw it and got everything I needed right off the bat. I've done it with EFILive in more than a few LSx vehicles, the APU1, G1, HDR, Tunerpro, etc is a bargain compared to what I'm used to. There is a slight learning curve compared to what I'm used to but I always like to learn new stuff.

I may even be able to rock the patina... Seems like the lazy way out though. :D