Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1227747 to 16197427 Conversion PCM Swap with Wiring Pinout Directions!

Electronic Ignition!
    For those interested I have both the DRAC and VSSB. These little boxes convert a 40 pulse tone ring into the signal to for the PCM or ECM, and speedo. The VSSB has more outputs than the DRAC. Power, ground, and sensor inputs are the same. The PCM 427 with VSSB uses the RWAL singal (anti-lock brake signal), 40 PPR signal, and 2000 PPM signal. The VSSB also converts the 40 pulse tone ring signal to 2000 PPM for the Speedo. The DRAC is missing the 2000 PPM signal to PCM but because i am using a cable driven speedo i can use the 2000 PPM signal from the DRAC as the signal into the PCM by relocating one wire. With the correct diagrams and much research they can be used interchangebly.

As a side note from another question long ago in this thread the VATS pin is pin B7. There is no wire in that location but it is +5 volts and when pulled low at 30Hz the PCM will allow engine start. So enable VATS and use pin B7. I have tested it and activtly using it in my conversion.

I'm interested in what you got there bossman. I used both DRAC and VSSB successfully when I was experimenting with them a year or two ago. I've got a pile of about a dozen of them altogether from various trips to the yard.

If memory serves me correct there are two VSS inputs on the VSSB one for VSS and the other for trans output speed? (Been a while since I looked at this so I can't remember exactly).

Electronic Ignition!
    You are correct there are two outputs from the VSSB to PCM(s) 6395 or 7427. One is trans output speed at 40 pulses per revolution (PPR) and the other is vehicle speed at 2000 pusles per mile (PPM). The DRAC has the same two signal at different pin locations. So with some repining DRAC and VSSB can be used interchangeably but with the DRAC if you are using an electronic speedo then you will need a VSSB because the DRAC does not have enough outputs for the PCM and speedo. Just FYI the speedo output is at 2000 PPM just like the vehicle speed input to the PCM.

Electronic Ignition!

DRAC and VSSB pinouts

Hopefully these will help clear things up. Attached are the pinouts for a 1992 DRAC and 1994 VSSB. Also attached is a picture of both DRAC (left) and VSSB (right).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    works & correct

Fuel Injected!
    Hi everybody.

Im pretty certain ive got my wiring figured out and its in my bin file were the problem lies. i swapped my truck and i cant get it to start now. ive gone over the wire diagrams that ive gotton from prodemand online and the diagrams found here on this thread and other places on this site. I pulled the 16196395 PCM out of a 94 K1500 Suburban and installed it into a 94 K1500 Pickup with a MANUAL transmission and a 5.7L TBI with unknown history but runs great and had zero issues when i pulled the 16196396 ECM out of it to swap in the new one. I completely de pinned the connectors off of the suburban harness that matched the 6395 PCM and then one wire at a time pinned my harness out of its connectors and into the new ones for the new pcm. Now the truck stutters and tries to start but wont run. Before i did the swap the truck ran extremely rich at idle i think somebody swapped the cam before me idk but i did succesfully tune quite a bit of it out to be quite smooth on the blm graphs in tuner pro and the injectors are fine and i rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the factory o2 and installed a wide band guage and the also headers on the truck and the entire exhaust is brand new i custom built it myself and it does not have any leaks to contaminate the o2 readings. everything is in proper order it just wont run. There are no factory bin files for my setup as this PCM only came in small blocks with autos or big blocks with autos or sticks but i have a small block with a stick. I also am running the hacked $0D mask and i am not certain that i have all the settings in the bin set up correctly.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Hi everybody.

I'm pretty certain ive got my wiring figured out and its in my bin file were the problem lies. i swapped my truck and i cant get it to start now. I've gone over the wire diagrams that I've gotton from prodemand online and the diagrams found here on this thread and other places on this site.

I pulled the 16196395 PCM out of a 94 K1500 Suburban and installed it into a 94 K1500 Pickup with a MANUAL transmission and a 5.7L TBI with unknown history but runs great and had zero issues when i pulled the 16196396 ECM out of it to swap in the new one.

I completely de pinned the connectors off of the suburban harness that matched the 6395 PCM and then one wire at a time pinned my harness out of its connectors and into the new ones for the new pcm. Now the truck stutters and tries to start but wont run. Before i did the swap the truck ran extremely rich at idle i think somebody swapped the cam before me idk but i did succesfully tune quite a bit of it out to be quite smooth on the blm graphs in tuner pro and the injectors are fine and i rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the factory o2 and installed a wide band guage and the also headers on the truck and the entire exhaust is brand new, I custom built it myself and it does not have any leaks to contaminate the o2 readings. everything is in proper order it just wont run.

There are no factory bin files for my setup as this PCM only came in small blocks with autos or big blocks with autos or sticks but i have a small block with a stick. I also am running the hacked $0D mask and i am not certain that i have all the settings in the bin set up correctly.
    Hiya, I edited your post, it is very hard to follow along with what seems like a run-on sentence. No offense intended, many will not read nor reply if it isn't easily readable.

I think I might have a good starting point for you. I converted an '05 stick 4k type environment to the red/blue 7427 'puter yeeeeeeears ago. I hope this will help you. This file is a running file, so, if it doesn't work you can chase from there. :)
    Last edited by In-Tech; 09-20-2022 at 07:22 AM.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya, I edited your post, it is very hard to follow along with what seems like a run-on sentence. No offense intended, many will not read nor reply if it isn't easily readable.

I think I might have a good starting point for you. I converted an '05 stick 4k type environment to the red/blue 7427 'puter yeeeeeeears ago. I hope this will help you. This file is a running file, so, if it doesn't work you can chase from there. :)
    Awsome thank you so much. Yeah just ask my english teacher from when i was a kid about my run on sentences lol ill try to keep on top of that thanks for the advice

Fuel Injected!
    Shoot, my bad. I meant a '95...not an '05. Anyway, that is a 350 "stick" TBI red/blue '7427 file if it helps you get going.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Shoot, my bad. I meant a '95...not an '05. Anyway, that is a 350 "stick" TBI red/blue '7427 file if it helps you get going.
    Yeah it should help I will start working on it tonight. One more question on the new 6395 PCM There is the ground at pin A1 does A2 also need a ground added?

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe I’m mistaken but I could swear I thought I saw in a diagram somewhere pin A2 had a ground but it was not the same application as my truck but same pcm.

Fuel Injected!
    Also what do i do with the purple/white wire labeled crank signal that used to feed pin C9 on the old 16196396 ECM that was original in my truck, which is a 1994 gmc k1500.

I also took the orange 12v battery wire that the guide at the beginning of this thread says to put into the brake switch input to the pcm I instead installed it into pin F15 where my wire diagrams say the new pcm is supposed to have 12v ignition. The reason for this is my trucks harness only has one 12v ignition wire and that was easier than creating a new circuit. That should be fine right? if it drains my battery ill fix it unless there is something that could go wrong that im not seeing?
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-17-2022 at 06:18 AM.

Fuel Injected!

so im looking through the bin trying to figure something out cus it didnt start the truck as is and i noticed that in the scalers it says number of cylinders is set to 167? shouldnt it say 8?

Fuel Injected!
    That file is an OD mask.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    That file is an OD mask.
    oh. good to know. thanks. I was using $0E. idk why i though i was in od but when you go to the 16196395 PCM in the thread that has all the ecms and their associated files the 6395 only has OE i then went to the 7427 thread and saw all the $0D stuff and now i see said the blind man lol.
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-17-2022 at 07:27 AM.