Thread: 1227747 to 16197427 Conversion PCM Swap with Wiring Pinout Directions!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1227747 to 16197427 Conversion PCM Swap with Wiring Pinout Directions!

I stole this information from Dave W. Writeup on CK5
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270253

He also got information from Thirdgen.org to start and I think the origanal was written by Fast355
    http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/4 ... g-tbi.html

Since I'm wiring one up starting today I figured I post up here the one Dave has added notes to.
    dave w

Notes and information on converting to a TBI PCM

I have had multiple people ask about re-pinning their earlier TBI cars/trucks
    to use the latest PCM. So here is the result. Information regarding the swap.

PCM Swap/Tuning Notes
    8746/6965/7747/299 to 427 Truck PCM (Car showed, Trucks VERY similar)

Old Pin---New Pin-----Color---------Function
    A1--------F6----------GRN/WHT------Fuel Pump Relay Control
    A3--------F16---------DK GRN/YEL---Charcoal Canister Purge Solenoid *** Not used on 87 GMC W/454***
    A4--------E1----------GRY-------------EGR Control
    A5--------E6----------BRN/WHT------Service Engine Soon Light
    A6--------E15---------PNK/BLK-------Ignition Feed +12VDC
    A7--------(1*)--------TAN/BLK-------TCC/Shift Light *** Investigate***
    A8--------F9----------ORN-------------Serial Datastream
    A9--------A14--------WHT/BLK-------Diagnostic Test
    A10-------F13--------BRN-------------Vehicle Speed Signal ***Output Speed not from DRAC set***
    A11-------B3---------BLK--------------Sensor Ground
    A12-------A1---------BLK/WHT-------ECM Ground 1
    B1--------E16--------ORN-------------Battery +12VDC
    B2--------B12--------TAN/WHT-------Fuel Pump Signal
    B3--------A5---------BLK/RED--------EST Ref Low
    B5--------A4---------PPL/WHT--------EST Ref High
    B6--------?-----------PPL---------------VATS(2*) *** Not used on 87 GMC W/454***
    B7--------(3*)-------BLK---------------Knock Sensor *** Not used on 87 GMC W/454***
    B8--------E12--------LT BLUE---------A/C Clutch Signal ***GRN Not LT BLUE 87 GMC W/454***
    B10-------E5---------ORN/BLK--------Park/Neutral Switch ***Investigate***
    C1--------(4*)-------BLK/PNK---------A.I.R. Converter Solenoid *** Not used on 87 GMC W/454***
    C2--------E7---------BRN---------------A.I.R. Port Solenoid (Diverter in trucks) ***Investigate***
    C3--------A7---------LT GRN/BLK-----IAC "B" Low ***LT GRN-BLK on 87 GMC W/454*** --- A7 1995 7.4
    C4--------A8---------LT GRN/WHT----IAC "B" High ***C4 WHT EST SIGNAL on 87 GMC W/454*** F11 1995 7.4
    C5--------A3---------LT BLU/WHT-----IAC "A" High ***C5 LT GRN-WHT on 87 GMC W/454*** --- A8 1995 7.4
    C6--------A6---------LT BLU/BLK------IAC "A" Low ***C6 LT BLU-WHT 87 GMC W/454*** --- A3 1995 7.4
    C7--------(5*)-------LT BLU------------High Gear Switch (In Auto Trans) ***C7 LT BLU-BLK on 87 GMC W/454*** --- A6 1995 7.4
    C8--------(6*)-------LT BLU------------Power Steering Pressure Switch ***Not used on 87 GMC W/454***
    C9--------(7*)-------PPL/WHT---------Crank Signal
    C10-------B8--------YEL----------------Coolant Temperature Signal
    C11-------B13-------LT GRN-----------MAP Signal
    C12-------B9--------Tan----------------MAT Signal(8*) *** Not used on 87 GMC W/454*** ***ALSO NOT SHOWN ON DIAGRAMS BELOW***
    C13-------A15-------DK BLUE---------TPS Signal
    C14-------E14-------GRY---------------5 Volt Reference
    C15/D14--A9--------DRK GRN--------Injector "2" Control *** D14 on 87 GMC W/454***
    C16------E13--------Orange-----------Battery (Inputed in place of Brake Switchfor TCC to function)
    D1-------A2----------BLK/WHT--------ECM Ground 2 *** TAN-WHT on 87 GMC W/454***
    D2-------B4----------PPL---------------MAP Sensor Ground
    D4-------F11--------WHT--------------EST Signal
    D5-------B2---------TAN/BLK---------EST Bypass
    D6-------A12--------TAN--------------O2 Sensor Ground
    D7-------A10--------PPL---------------02 Sensor Signal
    D15/D16--A16-----DK BLUE---------Injector "1" Control ***D16 on 87 GMC W/454***
    none ---- F8 -------unknown---------For Power steering switch input. (gregs78cam post 10)

Swap Notes
    *** Throttle Kicker Enable disabled***
    *** Initiate Integral with Calibration Const. Not Running enabled ***
    (1*)= Use E2 for a shift light on a manual transmission or E11 for the TCC onan Automatic
    (2*)= Supported by the PCM if optioned in the Prom on an UNKNOWN pin
    (3*)= A.) Wire like 1995 P30 Step Van, ESC Module output to B7
    (3*)= B.) Wire like 1995 C10 Truck, Bypass ESC (Blue to Brown) and useLate TBI/TPI 305/350 Knock sensor
    (4*)= Air injection into converter not used on trucks, but PCM has severalother un-used outputs (Tuning Valve, Idle Kicker)
    (5*)= Not Used by PCM (I like to leave the small connector in place and pinin unused wires)
    (6*)= Supported by PCM if optioned in the Prom on an UNKNOWN pin(1994-1995 2.2 S10 Wiring Diagram anyone?)
    (7*)= Not used by PCM, Remove 3 amp "CRANK" fuse from fuse box andstore in small connector)
    (8*)= Supported by the PCM, but functionality will need to be enabled in theProm6965 ONLY- Will have a NC relay that the computer grounds to shut-off theA/C compressor when the engine is heavily loaded. The A/C will work eitherby removing the wire all-togather, or connecting it to pin E3 (A/C Cut-Off orCPI Tuning Valve output)

I would also like to mention that the orange Serial Data wire needs to berelocated from the top row, Pin "E" to the lower row, Pin "M". You will alsoneed to scan the vehicle like a 1993-1995 G-Series Van, C-Series Truck,S-Series Blazer, etc with Auto transmission.

Finally, this is a trick Haulin@$$ taught me, if you have a wideband and arelooking to get real-time AFR put into the datastream, hook the 0-5 volt signalinto pin B16 (Linear EGR pintle position feedback). With some adaption to theALDL Definition being used to decode the reading, you can get an AFR
    reading of 10-20:1 or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave w; 12-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    works & correct

Fuel Injected!
    Hi everybody.

Im pretty certain ive got my wiring figured out and its in my bin file were the problem lies. i swapped my truck and i cant get it to start now. ive gone over the wire diagrams that ive gotton from prodemand online and the diagrams found here on this thread and other places on this site. I pulled the 16196395 PCM out of a 94 K1500 Suburban and installed it into a 94 K1500 Pickup with a MANUAL transmission and a 5.7L TBI with unknown history but runs great and had zero issues when i pulled the 16196396 ECM out of it to swap in the new one. I completely de pinned the connectors off of the suburban harness that matched the 6395 PCM and then one wire at a time pinned my harness out of its connectors and into the new ones for the new pcm. Now the truck stutters and tries to start but wont run. Before i did the swap the truck ran extremely rich at idle i think somebody swapped the cam before me idk but i did succesfully tune quite a bit of it out to be quite smooth on the blm graphs in tuner pro and the injectors are fine and i rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the factory o2 and installed a wide band guage and the also headers on the truck and the entire exhaust is brand new i custom built it myself and it does not have any leaks to contaminate the o2 readings. everything is in proper order it just wont run. There are no factory bin files for my setup as this PCM only came in small blocks with autos or big blocks with autos or sticks but i have a small block with a stick. I also am running the hacked $0D mask and i am not certain that i have all the settings in the bin set up correctly.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Hi everybody.

I'm pretty certain ive got my wiring figured out and its in my bin file were the problem lies. i swapped my truck and i cant get it to start now. I've gone over the wire diagrams that I've gotton from prodemand online and the diagrams found here on this thread and other places on this site.

I pulled the 16196395 PCM out of a 94 K1500 Suburban and installed it into a 94 K1500 Pickup with a MANUAL transmission and a 5.7L TBI with unknown history but runs great and had zero issues when i pulled the 16196396 ECM out of it to swap in the new one.

I completely de pinned the connectors off of the suburban harness that matched the 6395 PCM and then one wire at a time pinned my harness out of its connectors and into the new ones for the new pcm. Now the truck stutters and tries to start but wont run. Before i did the swap the truck ran extremely rich at idle i think somebody swapped the cam before me idk but i did succesfully tune quite a bit of it out to be quite smooth on the blm graphs in tuner pro and the injectors are fine and i rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the factory o2 and installed a wide band guage and the also headers on the truck and the entire exhaust is brand new, I custom built it myself and it does not have any leaks to contaminate the o2 readings. everything is in proper order it just wont run.

There are no factory bin files for my setup as this PCM only came in small blocks with autos or big blocks with autos or sticks but i have a small block with a stick. I also am running the hacked $0D mask and i am not certain that i have all the settings in the bin set up correctly.
    Hiya, I edited your post, it is very hard to follow along with what seems like a run-on sentence. No offense intended, many will not read nor reply if it isn't easily readable.

I think I might have a good starting point for you. I converted an '05 stick 4k type environment to the red/blue 7427 'puter yeeeeeeears ago. I hope this will help you. This file is a running file, so, if it doesn't work you can chase from there. :)
    Last edited by In-Tech; 09-20-2022 at 07:22 AM.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya, I edited your post, it is very hard to follow along with what seems like a run-on sentence. No offense intended, many will not read nor reply if it isn't easily readable.

I think I might have a good starting point for you. I converted an '05 stick 4k type environment to the red/blue 7427 'puter yeeeeeeears ago. I hope this will help you. This file is a running file, so, if it doesn't work you can chase from there. :)
    Awsome thank you so much. Yeah just ask my english teacher from when i was a kid about my run on sentences lol ill try to keep on top of that thanks for the advice

Fuel Injected!
    Shoot, my bad. I meant a '95...not an '05. Anyway, that is a 350 "stick" TBI red/blue '7427 file if it helps you get going.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post

so im looking through the bin trying to figure something out cus it didnt start the truck as is and i noticed that in the scalers it says number of cylinders is set to 167? shouldnt it say 8?

Fuel Injected!
    That file is an OD mask.
    -Carl