Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: '7747 Flash Chip Conversion (27SF512)

Quote Originally Posted by 89S10_Project View Post
    OK thanks for the clarification. Is there a gm analog to the EBL setup?
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

Moates.net offers a chip emulator called the Ostrich 2.0 http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html which replaces the chip. The Ostrich 2.0 can be updated real time, even while driving the vehicle.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

Moates.net offers a chip emulator called the Ostrich 2.0 http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html which replaces the chip. The Ostrich 2.0 can be updated real time, even while driving the vehicle.

dave w
    That looks pretty much ideal. I think I want to avoid having to burn chips all the time while I'm tuning. Still not sure though.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '94 Grand Cherokee: 4.0, 4" lift, 31s
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '87 Fiero GT: 3.8SC (initial research stage)

EPROM Emulating speeds up the tuning so much, I don't know why anyone would go any other route in this day.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I was about to order a few ZIF sockets and thought I would get a few chips. Is this the correct 27SF512 chips? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...BKntIIeqIek%3d

Quote Originally Posted by Queencityspeed View Post
    I was about to order a few ZIF sockets and thought I would get a few chips. Is this the correct 27SF512 chips? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...BKntIIeqIek%3d
    That came up as a PLCC case, which is not correct.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's way cheaper than the adapter from Moates! I'll have to get a few of them.

Tried burning the old chips again this weekend. Got one out of three, still consistent!
    I've been helping my bro and we are using the old school UV erase, burn and FAIL! Repeat!!! After feeling the frustration, I was going to bite the bullet but found myself perusing the FAQ and found this thread. I'm all about looking at it as building a better mouse trap. Kudos to all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    I've been helping my bro and we are using the old school UV erase, burn and FAIL! Repeat!!! After feeling the frustration, I was going to bite the bullet but found myself perusing the FAQ and found this thread. I'm all about looking at it as building a better mouse trap. Kudos to all!!!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-27SF512-Chips ... dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanx for the offer dave w, Ordered a bunch of them ZIFs.

Quote Originally Posted by cmaje72 View Post
    If you are really on a budget and do not want to mod your 7747 you can take a 27SF512 and solder a wire on it like you did with the adapter. Modify the stock socket slightly and pop the 27SF512 right on there.
    Does not make for easy chip swapping but its the ultra low budget method.
    Got another question...suppose ya modified the EEPROM^^^do you program it the same way???

Quote Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396 View Post
    Got another question...suppose ya modified the EEPROM^^^do you program it the same way???
    You need to burn the 27SF512 with offsets see this link: http://static.moates.net/manuals/FlashAndBurn.pdf

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Dave W,

I just completed this mod using this thread as well as the contributions from others. Just great stuff!!! I opted to solder a converted 28-to-24 low profile ZIF from Moates directly onto the '7747 PCB instead of installing a DIP socket. My plan is to leave the ZIF in place once I complete tuning. Of course, I held my breath and was hoping I had NOT destroyed the ECM; this was my first time removing and reinstalling sockets onto a circuit board. Glad to say, the engine started right up with the AKDW bin burned onto a new EEPROM. This bin version contained both the Hi Way Lean and EGR deleted/disabled. Besides having performed these changes in TunerPro, how do I actually confirm that these changes are working properly? What do I look for and where would it be apparent?

Next on the agenda is emulation. Once I get emulation going using an APU1, what are your recommendations on which parameters to attack first and learn to get comfortable with this approach to tuning?

Thanks again!!!

You may want to look at the tuning section in the first sticky in this forum.
    Bob
    Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the tip...