Bringing TBI and Multi Port Fuel Injection to a New Level.     EFI Conversions and Tuning! Seattle to Portland! E-mail Tuning Consultant!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: '7747 Flash Chip Conversion (27SF512)

  1. #16
    EFI GearHead ! EagleMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Idaho
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,477
    Yup!

    1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

  2. #17
    Fuel Injected! srobertsfsj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    81
    Did this upgrade last night and it worked great. Thanks for posting this!

    I definitely recommend getting the solder sucker to clean out the old solder or you will never get the ZIF socket in the holes.
    86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Stock AMC360 with HEI

    There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it.
    - Robert De Niro (Casino)

  3. #18
    Super Moderator Six_Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,845
    I like using a 24 pin DIP socket right on the daughter board, then plugging the adapter into it. I use 28 pin DIP sockets for the adapter, with an SST27SF512, the cover just touches the EEPROM. Usually when you're at the point of using a ZIF socket, you just leave the cover off, for the quick changes while tuning.

    I usually don't use a ZIF socket when tuning other people's vehicles, don't want the EEPROM to accidentally fall out and have issues.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

  4. #19
    Carb and Points!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3
    So I am verifying this before I start soldering the parts into my board. Do the last 4 pins on the ZIF socket (The ones the new wire is soldered to) need to be cut shorter to clear the board. And the 5th pin does not get cut shorter and gets soldered back into the original hole on the board?

  5. #20
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    washington indiana
    Age
    62
    Posts
    820
    I would get a g2 adapter.

  6. #21
    Super Moderator dave w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by southforkcnc View Post
    So I am verifying this before I start soldering the parts into my board. Do the last 4 pins on the ZIF socket (The ones the new wire is soldered to) need to be cut shorter to clear the board. And the 5th pin does not get cut shorter and gets soldered back into the original hole on the board?
    The bottom 24 pins do not get cut.

    dave w

  7. #22
    Fuel Injected! EDZIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Champlain, NY
    Age
    66
    Posts
    266
    Plan to try the 27SF512 Flash Chip conversion in a '7747 ECM. Just picked up some .001 brass shim material and used a straight pin to punch leg holes in a small piece. Just push the legs over and the solder goes on real nice. When soldered hardly any socket lift on the bottom at all.

    Have .002, .003 and .005, but feel confident using the .001

    Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #23
    Super Moderator dave w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Plan to try the 27SF512 Flash Chip conversion in a '7747 ECM. Just picked up some .001 brass shim material and used a straight pin to punch leg holes in a small piece. Just push the legs over and the solder goes on real nice. When soldered hardly any socket lift on the bottom at all.

    Have .002, .003 and .005, but feel confident using the .001

    Ed
    I'm thinking I might have miss communicated which pins get cut. Only pins 1, 2, 27, and 28 are cut. From what I can see in the posted pic, pin 26 appears cut?

    The (Zero Insertion Force) ZIF sockets with a lever are the SUPERIOR design for holding a chip, and the only ZIF socket I would ever consider using in an ECM!

    I'm thinking that 0.001" thickness is adequate for the 27SF512 conversion. I would use some electrical tape to insulate the bass from the ECM circuit board.

    dave w

  9. #24
    Fuel Injected! EDZIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Champlain, NY
    Age
    66
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm thinking I might have miss communicated which pins get cut. Only pins 1, 2, 27, and 28 are cut. From what I can see in the posted pic, pin 26 appears cut?

    dave w
    Dave

    How does it look now? Used some truck bed liner as an insulator..it's hard and tough.

    Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EDZIP; 08-15-2013 at 07:39 AM.

  10. #25
    Super Moderator Six_Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,845
    Unless you're soldering it directly to the daughter board, you don't need to insulate it.

    I prefer to solder a 24 pin DIP socket to the daughter board, then stack a modified DIP socket on top.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

  11. #26
    Super Moderator dave w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Dave

    How does it look now? Used some truck bed liner as an insulator..it's hard and tough.

    Ed
    I think that will work. I'm not in favor of the dip socket that has been selected, not positive locking enough for my standards.

    dave w

  12. #27
    Super Moderator Six_Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I think that will work. I'm not in favor of the dip socket that has been selected, not positive locking enough for my standards.

    dave w
    I agree, I now use machined pin DIP sockets.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

  13. #28
    Fuel Injected! EDZIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Champlain, NY
    Age
    66
    Posts
    266
    My primary concern is correct pin assignments right now. I can always attach a cork block between the prom and cover to secure the prom. Considering these latch type DIP sockets...low profile and secure prom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #29
    Super Moderator dave w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Considering these latch type DIP sockets...low profile and secure prom.


    dave w

  15. #30
    Fuel Injected!
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Upstate, NY
    Posts
    381
    I am going to do this instead of using the g2. I got a burn1 for $32 and am making my own cable. Maybe i can get away with all the necessary equipment for under $60. So some questions. I like the idea of the 28pin latch type dip socket. So should i get a 24 pin dip and solder that to the board then modify the 28pin dip and put that in the 24pin dip. I want to use a s2 zif for when i am burning. so 3 options. 1: Solder the 24pin dip to the board and use the modified 28pin dip to hold the chip. 2: Solder a modified 28pin dip right to the board and use a zif for when burning. 3: Solder a modifies 28pin s2 zif to the board. I like number 3 because its one thing but how well would the zif hold a chip during normal driving. I also like number 2 because the chip will be secured nice in the latch type 28pin dip. But would the zif temporarily fit into the latch type 28pin dip? Hmmm. Btw happy 4th!

Similar Threads

  1. '427 PCM - Memcal Mod for 27SF512 Chip
    By dave w in forum Fuel Injection Writeups Articles and How to New and Old
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •