Quote Originally Posted by joegreen View Post
I am going to do this instead of using the g2. I got a burn1 for $32 and am making my own cable. Maybe i can get away with all the necessary equipment for under $60. So some questions. I like the idea of the 28pin latch type dip socket. So should i get a 24 pin dip and solder that to the board then modify the 28pin dip and put that in the 24pin dip. I want to use a s2 zif for when i am burning. so 3 options. 1: Solder the 24pin dip to the board and use the modified 28pin dip to hold the chip. 2: Solder a modified 28pin dip right to the board and use a zif for when burning. 3: Solder a modifies 28pin s2 zif to the board. I like number 3 because its one thing but how well would the zif hold a chip during normal driving. I also like number 2 because the chip will be secured nice in the latch type 28pin dip. But would the zif temporarily fit into the latch type 28pin dip? Hmmm. Btw happy 4th!
There is just enough room for either a 24 pin DIP socket with a chip, or a modified 28 pin ZIF socket with a chip to fit under the cover. A modified 28 pin ZIF will fit a 24 pin DIP socket, but there is not enough clearance for the cover. My thought would be install a modified 28 pin ZIF socket, and be use the Burn 1 to flash 27sf512 chips and call it a completed project. The modified 28 pin ZIF socket can still use a 24 pin 2732a chip.

dave w