Thread: Onstar

Onstar

Maybe this is old news .I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 with Onstar no subcription my insurance is with Farmers it went up $50 a month i called and asked why and the insurance company had my miles down to the tee and that was the reason. I have not smogged it due to year and or registered recently. This all happened after i put 3500 miles on the car in 4 days to a trip from CA to Texas and back. I only figured maybe it was Onstar did some googling and it is information that insurance companies can use and Onstar does still track data even though no subcription. I googled more on to disable it and just pulled the fuse learned something new.

What I've read is it is still there and on, accident data would be available, feds can turn your car off if they want to. Just without the paid subscription you get nothing...

Sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theory... only real!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Insurance went up because of how many miles you have on your car? What the heck is the reasoning behind that?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Well i have farmers for my home life and auto ive used them for 7 years now and been good to me. Yearly i have to give a mileage statement on how many miles average i drive and from what was explained my fees go up or down. I average 10k a year in this car i went over by 2k and then added another 3.5k for a trip to texas so that put me over ive never driven to texas and never will again ill fly. I bought the car a year ago and from my miles now my insurance knew exactly how many miles were on my car and charged me extra for going over.

Long short of it is i seldom drive that many miles and for my insurance to go up for a nother year till they look at it again accessing my info through Onstar this way i dont like. Hope it makes all sense.

I have state farm. They have never asked me for the mileage on any of my jeeps. I have liability insureance on 3 jeeps and renters insurance on my house. I dont think I have spoken to someone at my insurance place in a few years.
    Seems as long as I pay my bill, they are happy....lol
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Yeah I have full coverage maybe that's why

I've has Farmers for 28 years now. We went through some changes when I moved fro AZ to ID. So maybe there are different laws for states?

I know there's different policies for second or third car that has milage...

But how they knew? Or how then can access onstar? Spooky...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yea really. Kinda makes me glad I dont have it...lol

I too wonder if it has something to do with full coverage and/or the state.

Administrator
    If you travel substantially less than average miles per year you can save money on insurance. I have a few cars that only travel maybe 2k - 3k per year so for those vehicles I requested a discount. In order to get it I had to fill out a mileage statement and sign it, and I have to do it every year. It's a big savings so it's worth the hassle. If I go over the mileage with those cars then my risk level goes up and so does my rate. That's the way the insurance game is played.

What's not right imo is GM using / selling / granting access to this information. Now maybe if you sign up for onstar you agree to allow it, and maybe the contract's written so the agreement to give information is still in effect even if you stop paying. But what if you buy the car used and never signed an agreement? They shouldn't be allowed to use that data.