Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up my TBI

Setting up my TBI

Hello all and thanks for having such a great forum.

I have a 4.3 Chevy V6 in my 40 Ford pickup. I installed the engine using a Painless performance TBI wiring harness and so far I have not had much success making it run correctly. I am running the specified computer and as of tonight it's running the Painless specified PROM and Cal-pack (almost) I ordered the correct PROM and Cal-pack from AC/Delco The computer is the 1227747 the PROM is a 16139566 and the Cal-pack is supposed to be a 16060836 and that's the number on the AC/Delco packaging but the number on the chip itself is 16060837A Since the engine is still not running correctly ( dribbly injector spray and it seems quite rich) can anyone tell me if the difference in the numbers on the Cal-pack could be an issue or is it something more on the order of an updated piece?

I have a Holley 12-927 fuel pump and have modified the internal fuel pressure regulator to make it adjustable and it's set for 11 PSI with a new 0-30 PSI gauge. I have had the same results as far as the fuel spray with 2 different sets of injectors. The injectors are the Yellow/Blue color code and the throttle body is P/N 17089018, both of which are supposed to be correct for this engine. Although I had never seen the engine run before I bought it it' supposed to be stock and I have verified that it is an '89 block. I was told it came from an 89 S-10.

The initial timing was set according to the Painless manual and although the engine won't idle smoothly, I've attempted to set the idle speed according to the Painless manual as well. The latest thing I have checked is the correlation of the CTS resistance using a conversion chart found online against my dashboard gauge and they are within 10 degrees of each other. The reference voltage for the CTS is 5.0 volts at the connector with the connector unplugged and key on. I have tried to back probe the CTS connector and measure the reference voltage with the connector installed and the key on but cannot get a voltage reading. Not sure if this is a real problem or pilot error. I know I've thrown out a lot of information but I'm hoping that someone can shed some light as to what needs to be looked at next. Thank you!

What is the four letter BCC code on the chip?

Really need to scan for error codes first, then get a data log to look for issues.

IIRC Painless instructions still have pin B10 Park Neutral wire grounded? This makes ECM think it's always in Park Neutral. When not grounded it is in Drive... this also gives IAC full control of idle.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

This PROM doesn't have a 4 letter code like the one I took out. Instead it says 1613 where the old PROM said AKMH. The check engine light is not on and all I have is a basic OBD1 code reader and it's not showing any codes. I checked the park/neutral switch and it's wired to provide the ground signal to the ECM when the truck is in park but the reading at the switch is 11 ohms, not really hard ground. The ground path for that signal is the wire going back to the ECM which the Painless manual says is grounded through the ECM.. Does this help at all?

Can't find a match for those chip numbers as scan id? So I don't know what it is, would have to read it...

Ground in Park and Open in Drive is good.

You should really get at least an error code for EGR if it is driven, won't happen at idle.

Can't do much else without a data log to look for issues?

-= =-

I usually do all of my own work but there is a guy I regard as really good at a local garage and he seems to know his stuff when it comes to electronics. I will talk to him about the data log and get back to you. Thanks so much!

A scantool and good tech should be able to spot an issue.

Seems you have the basics covered. One thing that is killer on these systems is a vacuum leak!

-= =-

I checked to make sure that my crank signal "went away" when I released the key from the crank position because I read that the ECM looks at that too, and that was correct. Then I found that the vacuum cap that went on the vacuum port used to connect to the evap can was SPLIT!. I repaired that and the engine runs much better and the injector spray looks conical now but it still appears to be spraying a lot of fuel down there (a rather subjective observation) but you can see it splashing on the throttle plates. My next trick is to attempt to set up the base idle again cause I'm sure that the IAC and the TPS may be out of whack because I was trying to set the speed with the throttle too far open, just to keep the engine running before.

I have ordered an OBD1 cable for my buddies Actron scanner and should have some information this week. I have made an observation that when the engine is cold. it starts readily and tries to idle normally till it warms up, then the idle goes from almost dying to revving up to about 2000-2500 rpm and then it dies back and almost stalls and then revs up again. It does this for a minute or so and then it settles into a constant high speed and you can hear the IAC port whistling like crazy Hopefully whatever data I can get from the OBD1 scanner will help sort this out. I know my status on here is "carb and points" and they're starting to look mighty good about now!

Quote Originally Posted by 1great40 View Post
    I know my status on here is "carb and points" and they're starting to look mighty good about now!
    Just because your cars not running right is no reason for profanity!

Look for vacuum leaks... or an exhaust leak. One of the two is causing the issue when you go Closed Loop.

-= =-

I have searched for vacuum leaks and currently have the vacuum port that goes to my AC controls connected to a vacuum gauge and the vacuum that controls the EGR is pinched off. My exhaust system is 2 inch duals with a crossover pipe in between them and 2 40 series flowmasters. I actually stuffed a rag in one side just to see if backpressure made a difference. It's just a guess but I would say that this truck as little to no backpressure because of the exhaust system, at least at idle speeds. Maybe this is a problem I have created

Scan tool will help find it if you know the data to look for, if not it will just tell codes.

Around here we use TunerPRo RT, cable to laptop so we can record logs and help each other with the data.

-= =-

I got my cable for the Actron scanner yesterday. I'm guessing that i will be able to read data from the various sensors. do I need software like winaldl or tuner pro? Not sure what to look for or how to understand the data when I see it but i really do want to learn, besides, the first cruise night of the season is in less than 3 weeks :(

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Can't do much else without a data log to look for issues?
    Scan tool will help find it if you know the data to look for, if not it will just tell codes.

Around here we use TunerPRo RT, cable to laptop so we can record logs and help each other with the data.
    it starts readily and tries to idle normally till it warms up, then the idle goes from almost dying to revving up to about 2000-2500 rpm and then it dies back and almost stalls and then revs up again. It does this for a minute or so and then it settles into a constant high speed and you can hear the IAC port whistling like crazy
    IAC port noise is common with air cleaner off but also a sign the throttle blades are closed to far so all air has to come through IAC port. When this happens air and fuel do not mix well because throttle blades are closed to far... did you close throttle blades because of high idle?

Look for vacuum leaks... or an exhaust leak. One of the two is causing the issue when you go Closed Loop.
    Without logs we can see it's up to you to read data from Scan Tool and find the issue.

-= =-

Hi Guys!

I got the Actron scanner hooked up and downloaded a bunch of data from the scanner I'm posting it hereI hope someone can point me in the right direction cause I'm a total noob with this stuff.

1989 Astro/Safari
    Z=4.3L TBI

Vehicle Data List

CODES PRESENT NO
    3RD GEAR SW ON
    AC REQUEST OFF
    AIR DIVRT SOL DIV
    AIR SW SOL CONV
    BATTERY(V) 13.8
    BLM 114
    CLEAR FLOOD OFF
    COOLANT(øF) 192
    ENGINE RPM 1000
    EXHAUST 02 LEAN
    HIGH BATTERY NO
    IAC POSITION 74
    INTEGRATOR 127
    LOOP STATUS CLSD
    MAP(V) 2.04
    O2S(mV) 719
    O2S CROSSCNTS 246
    P/N SWITCH P/N
    PROM ID 9461
    TCC LOCKUP NO
    TCC SOLENOID OFF
    TPS SENSOR(V) 0.65
    VEHSPEED(MPH) 0
    Frame: 0 Time: 0.0

CODES PRESENT NO
    3RD GEAR SW ON
    AC REQUEST OFF
    AIR DIVRT SOL DIV
    AIR SW SOL CONV
    BATTERY(V) 13.7
    BLM 114
    CLEAR FLOOD OFF
    COOLANT(øF) 192
    ENGINE RPM 1000
    EXHAUST 02 LEAN
    HIGH BATTERY NO
    IAC POSITION 74
    INTEGRATOR 126
    LOOP STATUS CLSD
    MAP(V) 2.06
    O2S(mV) 98
    O2S CROSSCNTS 246
    P/N SWITCH P/N
    PROM ID 9461
    TCC LOCKUP NO
    TCC SOLENOID OFF
    TPS SENSOR(V) 0.65
    VEHSPEED(MPH) 0
    Frame: 1 Time: 1.1

CODES PRESENT NO
    3RD GEAR SW ON
    AC REQUEST OFF
    AIR DIVRT SOL DIV
    AIR SW SOL CONV
    BATTERY(V) 13.7
    BLM 114
    CLEAR FLOOD OFF
    COOLANT(øF) 192
    ENGINE RPM 975
    EXHAUST 02 RICH
    HIGH BATTERY NO
    IAC POSITION 74
    INTEGRATOR 127
    LOOP STATUS CLSD
    MAP(V) 2.08
    O2S(mV) 861
    O2S CROSSCNTS 248
    P/N SWITCH P/N
    PROM ID 9461
    TCC LOCKUP NO
    TCC SOLENOID OFF
    TPS SENSOR(V) 0.65
    VEHSPEED(MPH) 0
    Frame: 2 Time: 2.3

CODES PRESENT NO
    3RD GEAR SW ON
    AC REQUEST OFF
    AIR DIVRT SOL DIV
    AIR SW SOL CONV
    BATTERY(V) 13.8
    BLM 114
    CLEAR FLOOD OFF
    COOLANT(øF) 192
    ENGINE RPM 1000
    EXHAUST 02 RICH
    HIGH BATTERY NO
    IAC POSITION 74
    INTEGRATOR 127
    LOOP STATUS CLSD
    MAP(V) 2.04
    O2S(mV) 768
    O2S CROSSCNTS 251
    P/N SWITCH P/N
    PROM ID 9461
    TCC LOCKUP NO
    TCC SOLENOID OFF
    TPS SENSOR(V) 0.65
    VEHSPEED(MPH) 0
    Frame: 3 Time: 3.4

CODES PRESENT NO
    3RD GEAR SW ON
    AC REQUEST OFF
    AIR DIVRT SOL DIV
    AIR SW SOL CONV
    BATTERY(V) 13.7
    BLM 114
    CLEAR FLOOD OFF
    COOLANT(øF) 192
    ENGINE RPM 975
    EXHAUST 02 RICH
    HIGH BATTERY NO
    IAC POSITION 74
    INTEGRATOR 127
    LOOP STATUS CLSD
    MAP(V) 2.08
    O2S(mV) 795
    O2S CROSSCNTS 0
    P/N SWITCH P/N
    PROM ID 9461
    TCC LOCKUP NO
    TCC SOLENOID OFF
    TPS SENSOR(V) 0.65
    VEHSPEED(MPH) 0
    Frame: 4 Time: 4.5

All data looks good!

Except one thing that maybe someone as sick as me may notice... since it's my favorite PROM ID... PROM ID 9461 is ASDU which is for an 8 cylinder... but the scan ID can be used in others...

So I searched for your Prom number 16139566 from first post and guess what I found? ASDU which is an 8 cylinder bin/chip.

Have no idea if your smaller chip/netres is correct. Pull the big chip and see if it will run? It should run although not well...

-= =-