Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supercharged "95 Riv needs a tune

Electronic Ignition!
    Well, I downloaded Tunerpro RT a few days ago and have spent a little time playing on it. I'm looking forward to hooking up to a car and seeing how much damage I can do. I am in need of an ALDL to USB cable to hook up. My car has the OBD2 ALDL but is OBD1. GM refers to the '95 as OBD1.5 so will the cable used on my car also work on OBD2 vehicles? Also, I was expecting some difficulty do to the fact that my laptop is running Windows 8. So far everything has worked fine. A bit of a learning curve, but I think it will be fine. So if Robert or anyone can hook me up with the details of getting the proper cable I will forward payment to them for it. Thanks Dave

Super Moderator
    i can assure you GM never referred to it as "1.5".

the cable you need is one that uses the OBD1 communication protocal, just with an OBD2 connector on the end. it won't work with any OBD2 vehicle, or at least not in the capacity you would need it for. GM kept the ALDL scheme around for quite some time after 1996, called the "UART data link", so you could poll data off of it, but not much useful stuff for tuning.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the clarification Robert! So, how do I get my hands on one of these cables?

Super Moderator
    if you want to build it yourself, you can follow the uber-easy ALDL cable thread and i'll grab the connector view of the 16 pin port on your car. that's the only difference you'll have to account for, other than no 16-pin connector vehicle needs the 10K resistor for the diagnostic circuit either.

so it's actually simpler to do the OBD2 connector than OBD1.

otherwise, i can look to see what would need to be found myself.... i've found what looks to be a good source for DIY male OBD2 connectors, just need to find a source of twin(or slightly more) core cable, since you only need 2 of the 12 circuits in the connector.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Okay, thank you! I will look into putting one together .