Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged "95 Riv needs a tune

Electronic Ignition!

Supercharged "95 Riv needs a tune

Hi guys, I'm new here and though I have 30+ years experience working on cars, I have zero tuning experience. I have a '95 Riviera that I built with and for my son. It has a Series 1 L67 3800 Supercharged motor and a 4t60e tranny. We need to start tuning this spring when the car comes out of storage and need to learn what's involved. I do have a pretty good knowledge of what makes a car run. Where I am lacking is in reading the info associated with tuning. Do I download Tunerpro RT and have at it, or do I learn first? Will downloading the free Tunerpro first to familiarize myself be a good idea? I don't want to get ahead of myself. Will it make more sense when I can see it? Your advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dave

Probably first would be find the ECM/PCM number in your car, there is a spreadsheet that covers most.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...our-files-here!

With that we can figure out if it's a chip or flash based system and figure the hardware needed.

Then learn to use TunerPro RT, TunerPro just does the bin adjustments, Get RT, free to use, please pay the $39 when able, well worth 10x that. I have a basic starter here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-a-must-read!-)

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Okay, heres what I got off of Tunerpro's site: mask id $5B7 / ECM 16183247 /Bin definition TBD / Datastream definition 5B7.ads . I want to purchase the set up they sell with the cable, burner and software for $214.00. But until we get the car out of storage can I play around with the free download just to familiarize myself with the software. I have a parts car same year and motor. Would I be able to hook up to that just to play around for now with it out of the car?

Super Moderator
    there's actually no such thing as 5B7.... that's a carryover from tunercat, the algorithm that controls the 94-95 S1 engines is the same regardless of SC or NA, the calibrations are where the differences lie.

if you want to get a feel for the software, either version of TP V5 will work for you, the "free" one will not communicate over ALDL, but doesn't give a nag screen IIRC. the "donate if you like it" version (RT) will without registering it, but it will do ALDL communications. the 5B XDF will work, you should be able to find a few example BINs on the site here as well. i have no idea how long it will be before i release my version of the 5B XDF, but i've already added in stuff that the current version has no mention of.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by dmnowaksr View Post
    Okay, heres what I got off of Tunerpro's site: mask id $5B7 / ECM 16183247 /Bin definition TBD / Datastream definition 5B7.ads . I want to purchase the set up they sell with the cable, burner and software for $214.00. But until we get the car out of storage can I play around with the free download just to familiarize myself with the software. I have a parts car same year and motor. Would I be able to hook up to that just to play around for now with it out of the car?
    I think you got your TunerPro and TunerCat mixed together... unless TunerPro started selling burners and cables?

TunerCat is an excellent program. No data logger. End up needing Data master = more money.

TunerPro does both bin editing and data logging, all files are free and community built. You can also make all the customizations you want with it.

Robert sells the least expensive cable.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...uy-ALDL-Cables!

Motes sells the burner, chips, adapters and anything else you need.
    http://www.moates.net/

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I think you are right . I thought Tunerpro was part of Tunercat. Thanks for setting me straight. So $5b7 is not a good mask? When I download the free version can I see the layout and get a basic idea without plugging in to a car? Also, do I pm Robert for the cable, and does he have the one with the OBD2 plug for the 95 OBD1.5?

Well sort of. Don't download free TunerPro it just does bin editing, Download TunerPro RT, it does bin editing and data logging, it works completely without payment or registering, just has a 10 second nag screen each time you start it. But please pay the $39 when you can. It's worth way more and he keeps updating it for us and it keeps expanding.

Then yes you can download files and start to use it and learn.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks! Sorry for the slow reply. I'm painting a car and I hit the computer in between coats. I will download Tunerpro RT this weekend. I'm sure I'll have many questions when I do. Thank you. Dave

Super Moderator
    I think you are right . I thought Tunerpro was part of Tunercat. Thanks for setting me straight. So $5b7 is not a good mask? When I download the free version can I see the layout and get a basic idea without plugging in to a car? Also, do I pm Robert for the cable, and does he have the one with the OBD2 plug for the 95 OBD1.5?
    5B7 just doesn't exist... i don't know if that was an oversight by tunercat or what, but all 94-95 3800 S1 vehicles are 5B. datastreams might be different(haven't looked in a while), but the "masks" are the same between supercharged and naturally aspirated.

i would need to source an OBD2 connector...

Electronic Ignition!
    Robert, Let me know how much you need for the cable and I will get the money to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    5B7 just doesn't exist... i don't know if that was an oversight by tunercat or what, but all 94-95 3800 S1 vehicles are 5B. datastreams might be different(haven't looked in a while), but the "masks" are the same between supercharged and naturally aspirated.

i would need to source an OBD2 connector...
    I wonder if TunerCat just gave it a new mask so one has boost stuff and one does not? That way the end user can't adjust wrong thing?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Eaglemark, I found a file on here that you were working on back in 2011 for the 94-95 L67. Is that one that I could use when I'm ready?

Super Moderator
    possibility. you can turn a N/A calibration into a supercharged one with a single flag though, IIRC, so it seems kind of pointless. about the only difference between them was that the boosted cars had a boost control solenoid to deal with when the LV8 was detected to be too high(no MAP sensor on these engines, so LV8 had to be used to guesstimate when there was too much torque being made).

Eaglemark, I found a file on here that you were working on back in 2011 for the 94-95 L67. Is that one that I could use when I'm ready?
    I don't know? That was at least a 1000 bins ago...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    possibility. you can turn a N/A calibration into a supercharged one with a single flag though, IIRC, so it seems kind of pointless. about the only difference between them was that the boosted cars had a boost control solenoid to deal with when the LV8 was detected to be too high(no MAP sensor on these engines, so LV8 had to be used to guesstimate when there was too much torque being made).
    That makes me think yes, they made different masks so end user could not screw up. Have you ever used TunerCat? It's pretty fool proof!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I haven't used any tuning software. I'm as green as they come. No bad habits though!