Thread: New guy wants to learn to tune!

Electronic Ignition!

New guy wants to learn to tune!

Hey everyone. My name is Dave. I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been reading some of your posts and look forward to learning a lot here. I am 48 and I've been working on cars my whole life. I am a bodyman by profession. I did go to college for automotive technology back in 1982-83 but opened a collision shop with my brothers in '03. I have done mechanical work through the years but mostly underbody stuff like brakes steering and suspension. I have taken a shot at CELs sometimes with success, but sometimes not. I do enjoy researching the different components and how they function so I can become more efficient at repairing issues that I face. Recently I have become interested in the art of tuning for performance but sometimes feel intimidated by all the computer lingo. Just spending a few hours on this sight has put me more at ease and I thank you guys for that. Anyway, My son and I have put together a very nice '95 Riviera SC for him and have done about as much as we can without tuning. The car looks immaculate and we got it running to perfection. Once we sorted all the drivability issues out we started modding. Mods we have so far are : 3.5" cold air intake, 3 " downpipe, gutted cat, 1.8:1 Yella Terra roller rockers, 180* t-stat and AL104 plugs. This car is not his daily driver so we would like to go as far as we can. Many guys give up on the series 1 3800, but we are enjoying the challenge. So, with your help, I would like to learn all the ins and outs of tuning. I thank you in advance for all the help and patience as I ask questions that are second nature to many of you. Sincerely, Dave Nowak

Another old GearHead !

95 is in the strange years, I think thats a flash PCM? Start a thread in GM EFI section, Robert has those figured out.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey EagleMark, Actually from what I've learned, the '95 Riviera is an eprom and has a chip. It is basically an OBD1 system with the OBD2 ALDL 16 socket plug.GM refers to it as OBD1.5. My son has talked via email with Ryan at Sinister and he says everything is the same as OBD1 other than the ALDL. We may have Ryan do a tune for us for now, but we need to learn how so we can keep modding. I forgot to list in my intro that we have dropped to a 2.5" pulley. The car runs really strong with no knock retard, but that could change with warmer weather. Also, I have an '86 Iroc-z that I have had since new that I want to do a 350 swap to it, so that will need tuning too. These projects have restored my passion for cars that was lost over decades of grinding them out for a living. So with help from you and the guys here, I'm sure I can take my skills to a new and enjoyable level. Thanks, Dave

Super Moderator
    94-95 3800s used a strange MEMCAL, it's stubby compared to the ones used from 86-upwards, only has a knock filter and PROM in it, no NETRES/CALPAK.

i'm actually working on a new XDF for this application... the one that is out floating around is REALLY incomplete, and in places, inaccurate.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Robert, check out my post in GM EFI under 95 Riv needs a tune. Let me know if I'm on the right path. Thanks, Dave