Quote Originally Posted by bmc10258 View Post
The diesel converter stalls a little lower than what would have come in that combination from factory. Even the factory converter stalls two low and makes the engine work just to pull away from a stoplight.

This past fall I rebuilt my 4L80E in the 98 K2500 because I broke the reverse band. I used a reman converter from a 99 G2500 van with a 4.3V6 and 4L80E. The converter code is B82. This is the highest stalling converter from factory for a 4L80E that fits the L31. You need the 6 Lug flywheel which you should be using anyway when swapping to the 4L80.

This was by far the best mod I have done to this truck. It gets up and goes at any speed and shifts and locks up perfect with the factory PCM and factory tune. With no codes.
That 4.3 TC behind teh V8 trick is a good one. I did the same thing with my 4l60e in my 97 Vortec 350 rcsb truck. I used the 4.3 DBLF TC and can brake stall to 2800rpm, much better launch and about 400rpm less rpm drop at the shifts which helps smooth out those big ratio changes of teh 4l60e.
Just imagine when yupgrading to an actual performance TC.

peace
Hog