Thread: All Data and mictchells for sale

All Data and mictchells for sale

ALLDATA 10.10 AND MITCHELL 5.8 ON DEMAND AUTO REPAIR PROGRAMS

15 CD/DVD and the desktop computer for $300!

What do I look for, can they be registered? Issues?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Mark, ALLDATA is an online program, not sure about mitchell but you definitely pay a subscription for ALLDATA, and I think it is annual, but it may be monthly. Google ALLDATA and MITCHELL and just look at what they have. I would be very leary, although, a desktop that is a quad core with 4 gig of RAM and a decent HardDrive with Windows 7 would be worth about $300 around here.

edit...

just looked at ALLDATA site, its $175 month for the professional site, the DIYer is a single vehicle. No CD's Mitchells is a single vehicle manual from the looks of it, I didn't follow the link very far.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 03-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    Both commercial programs were available on DVD versions for many years. Alldata used a HASP protection scheme for years while Mitchell's used a software key. Of course they've been hacked. As mentioned, both programs are subscription based and although I feel they are a bit high, that's what the industry is paying. It's still cheaper than trying to maintain a current library of hard copies for every vehicle out there.

I like Alldata better. For years Mitchell's was an interpreted version of the service manual. People would read the OEM instructions then type out their own version. I'm sure you can guess at some of the problems I've run across with that. Alldata scans OEM pages and organizes them. The problem is they're not always organized the same way. But at least they use OE pages. Mitchell's has a neat thing in their wiring diagrams are all color and you can highlight specific wires in a circuit to follow it.

Make sure you're not looking at Mitchel Service Manager or Service Writer and Alldata manager. Those are standalone shop management programs.

I'm lucky, my local public library has Alldata online. The cost of the library card ($0.00)! I log in with my library card, and then search and print what I need.

dave w

I was worried it was online service or not usable, probably an old version, that's why it comes with computer.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/sys/3690040543.html

-= =-

Administrator
    "Will never time out"
    "No subscription fees."

Ayup. Picture's pretty clear.

Super Moderator
    ahh, pirate copies of software on craigslist, been a while since i've seen that locally.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

So if a pirate is someone who acquires copyrighted software for free and just uses it, what do you call the guy who acquires copyrighted software for free then sells it? "More badder pirate"?
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Quote Originally Posted by bentrod View Post
    So if a pirate is someone who acquires copyrighted software for free and just uses it, what do you call the guy who acquires copyrighted software for free then sells it? "More badder pirate"?
    Thief!

dave w

Super Moderator
    selling something you copied would have been called a bootleg a while ago...
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

ah bootlegging. Now that brings back to the days of flea markets, with guys wearing trenchcoats and sunglasses selling VHSes
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Back in mid 90s my sister bought one of them off back of a van in NJ, it was Toy Story for my kid. The entire movie was filmed at a movie theater with a camara!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    My buddy bought dvd's like that off ebay from China.
    Basically it is all the info but no updates.
    He has offered to copy it for me,but said to bring him a hard drive cause it is like 30gigs I think.

I had alldata access till recently,just need to download mitchell on my laptop and my old work (Ford) gave me their info to use it.
    I have bought factory service manual dvd's from ebay for my fiero and 48 chrysler,they are great.
    Both of those were authorized I know,cost about $30 and worth it of course.

Also,no matter what Alldata says they do not have all the same info as the factory stuff.
    Offhand I have DVD's for Fords going back to 1999 I think. They were backup,hardcopies in case we didn't have online access.
    They shut down after a certain date and you use the new one,but you only have to back up pc date real quick.
    I also have their IDS,VCM and VMM software discs as well I think. Now it is all done online and believe price is $350 a month for access.

I still need to check my local library though to see if we have access there.

on my version of alldata i have the online log in and it will only let you log in to one computer. the one it was bought for. to use it on another computer such as a laptop you would have to have another license.

but i have to say it is a good program and i like it. if i had a scanner it would be even more useful.

Administrator
    Well...

If a pirate is the guy who boards the ship and takes the hostages, what do you call the guy who calls with the ransom demand?

I'd say "Capitalist!"