Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect BLMs every time!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    yeah, i imagine this forum will continue to make a lot of little people(guys not selling massive amounts of boxed tunes) really happy and a couple big people really angry. they'll either step up their game or fall out of relevance, either way, all of the little people are going to end up with more for their money.
    The way it should be.

Pauly says it best over on FSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly
    I would NEVER get into the mailorder business of tuning custom speed density setups such as TBI. Just way to difficult to nail.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

I would normally agree. But if you have a decent mechanic on other end and can follow instructions for diagnostics and data log? I've got to many fixed and dialed in now to agree it can't be done.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Oh, it can be done fairly well if you have someone there logging, but I think the point is that it's too time consuming to do when you are starting such a long ways from a factory combo. Like vortec heads, compression, cam, etc.
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Super Moderator
    i've done a lot of mail order stuff, even early into my "career" as a tuner... i think only 2 or 3 were MAF based. you have to be on the ball to get S/D done without being physically present, but it is entirely doable. i do very much prefer doing things locally, but living in central lower michigan, there's not too much exciting stuff without traveling around ~75 miles away.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I've had success with remote tunes with both the newer TBI PCM's and older TBI ECM's. The more challenging part of remote tuning is usually the computer skills of the vehicle owner. I often have to help the vehicle owner come up to speed with the Laptop and Software. I have 2 Laptops setup and ready with USB cables available for those who need the hardware (deposits are required). I have the Laptops set up with WiFi and Mikogo http://www.mikogo.com/ to actually tune in a WiFi location. Mikogo will allow remote control of a Laptop, so changes with an Ostrich 2 in real time is an option.

dave w

I do the same as Dave and use Team Viewer for Remote Desktop, more for training guys hands on with their own equipment but I do have spare laptop and autoprom for rent now. It's amazing how fast a guy get's up to speed watching what needs to be done on his laptop as you talk to him on the phone.

The most fun I've ever had doing remote desktop a vehicle on a Dyno in Tennessee, shop had a webcam so I could watch it on dyno as I watched data on laptop and retuned! Now that was cool!

Speed Density is not forgiving as MAF is. But if you have done enough hands on you know what the starter chip needs to be, then it's really just fine tuning from data. Teach a guy how to do data and it's even easier. There's no secrets to starter chips for built engines or how to do data, I've told everyone here how to many times. We've all learned it together!

It's still just work. What I really enjoy is doing the tune in person. Priceless is when the guy drives it and says "What the hell did you do?" It's never ran that good!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

You know I use meeting software every day at work and I've never thought of it that way... Gotomeeting or any of the other online meeting software can be used just like you're in the car in person. Wireless connection in a dyno shop and you're good to go. Hell even a 4G phone hotspot and a laptop, you could tune wirelessly from the passenger seat while driving down the road. Very cool, I want to try it now! lol

Fuel Injected!
    Hello,

I am looking at a chip I got from a mail order tuner. It has the following:

MAX INITIAL BLM 135
    MIN INITIAL BLM 126
    MIN BLM 84
    MAX BLM 165

I compared this to a stock bin for a 454 and the numbers are "similar" but not the same. Do the above numbers throw any red-flags to you guys?

Thanks!!

Administrator
    These are fairly wide numbers. I don't know if they're worthy of red flags but they definitely earn the Look of Suspicion.