Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings

Super Moderator
    the A072.ds file explains everything that is present in the datstream.

was there any "glitching" of the data? did you have to use the mode 8 commands?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!

'89 Oldsmobile 3800 ADS/ADX

I did not notice any significant glitching. I saw a couple of RPM values that were odd but they cleared by themselves. I captured ~1600 rows of data and noted only 3 or 4 bad rows.

That is a bummer if there is no more data available than what I see here.

Electronic Ignition!
    I see what you mean. Will start parsing the DS to get more.

Super Moderator
    like i said, that was just a test version, there's a LOT left in the .ds document that didn't get added into the .ADS file. it would probably be smart to make a seperate ADS for both the ECM and BCM.

Electronic Ignition!
    I am adding to the ADX file from the DS and want to add th Fuel/Air ratio. How do I handle the conversion information WRT MSB/LSB in TunerPro's editor?

Super Moderator
    39 FAVAL - TOTAL FUEL AIR VALVE (MSB)
    40 FAVAL+1 - TOTAL FUEL AIR VALVE (LSB)
    A/F RATIO = 65536 / [40 * (MSB * 256 + LSB)]

i hate these types of equations.... but it's either X/1638.4 or 1638.4/X, i can never remember which. you'll know if it's wrong since it will give some less than 1 AFRs. obviously, 16 bit.

Electronic Ignition!

Still working on extending the ADX file. I noticed that the data goes bad periodically like the ECM is changing modes on me. How do I send commands through TunerPro and is there a reference on ODBI protocol? I have only found ODBII information. Lastly, is there a way I can capture the data to look at it directly? I would like to verify what I am seeing to make sure my ADX is correct.

Super Moderator
    working with V4 or V5?

there is some decent documentation from GM inside the aldlstuff archive.

looking at raw data.... somewhat difficult, since the ECM will only push out data when it's requested, so that leaves out hyperterminal.

Electronic Ignition!

I am using V5. I will look at the ALDLStuff archive. I attached what I have added to the ADX file you sent. I put in all the Bitmasks, Values that I think are in the stream. I would not mind getting malfunction information as well. Haven't figured out what I want for view or dashboard yet. I want to look at injector timing, duty cycle and associated combustion data. I don't know much about EFI or tuning so I am starting off getting everything until I get oriented. I am just the computer guy in this operation, not yet a gearhead. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well you should be a lot of help with stuff like this. We will help with the rest.

Don't worry about dashbords, I installed out collection in your adx file, also added a couple Item Lists and 2 monitors. This will show you the custom abilities of TunerPro to develop and customize these files.

Also look through my $42 adx file for ideas.

Also look here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...es-in-TunerPro

And here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...unerPro-How-To!
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Things are looking good with this file. One thing I need that I can't figure out how to get: Timing of the injector duty cycle. I was reading in Banish's book that the injector pulse ends just before the intake valve opens on SEFI engines. I am going to eventually need to move that timing. That must be controlled but I don't see any counters that indicate where that varies in the DS. Is it reported in the stream or am I out of luck.

Super Moderator
    it's not reported in the stream... and it's not THAT critical either. if it were, the MPFI/TPI engines wouldn't run at all.

i'm sure it's adjustable in the calibration(in either the normal calibration area or hidden in the algorithm), but AFAIK, no one has bothered to change it.