Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 C1500 4.3 to L31 350 vortec swap

Electronic Ignition! jbrenneman13's Avatar

94 C1500 4.3 to L31 350 vortec swap

I finally got my motor swap done.But now I have run in to a problem.The motor is a bone L31 vortec 350 from a 97 donor truck.I am running the 350 tbi with 350 injectors with a dual plane vortec intake and tbi adapter from trans dapt.I replaced the fuel pump for the vortec pump in the tank.I contacted Brian at tbichips and had him do my chip.I installed the supplied 18psi spring.

My problem is my truck will start right up and idle good but smells like it is burning to rich.As soon as I hit the throttle it starts popping and backfiring through the tbi and exhaust.I have triple checked my timing and have it running at 0* right now.I have tried to advance it a little with no change in the way it acts.When I put the motor in I put all new sensor in with a rebuilt tbi.I starting to get frustrated as my truck has been down for a year now and I am wanting to start driving it again.I have a ALDL cable on the way so I can do some datalogging to see whats going on.

After seeing the other post about tbichips I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake.Would I have been better off to get the stuff to program the chip my self since I have the truck and can make changes as needed.I have been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like something I am capable of doing its just a matter of getting the stuff to do it.I went with tbichips as I wanted to get the truck up and running asap and Brian also told me he has done many chips for this swap so I pulled the trigger.

Lets say I want to burn my own chip.I know I need a burner and a G1 adapter and a couple chips.I have already downloaded tunerpro rt and have watched every tutorial on youtube I could find.I know I will need a base program to start with.Heres a list I came up with for burning my own chip.Should I ask for a refund on my chip and do the programming myself?

Moates Burn2 chip programmer http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pro....html?cPath=64

Moates G1 adapter http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adap....html?cPath=64

C2 SSt 27SF512 chip http://www.moates.net/c2-sst-27sf512....html?cPath=26

Now my question is Where do I find a program or BIN file to use a base program to work with?

Need the ECM/PCM number. You can look them up with a spreadsheet here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...our-files-here!

1994, if it was an Auto trans probably a 16197427 $0D:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-OD

Don't forget a cable to data log:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...uy-ALDL-Cables!

In all fairness he can usually get a stock motor to run without data logs, I can, but without data it's just an educated guess and not a tuned chip. One of the things you did not state is fuel pressure? Very important to know! Also check for error codes.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

The ECM number is 16196395 so I'm guessing its the same as the 16197427 ecm?

My FP is running at 18psi which is what I was told I needed.I have DTC Code 33 (MAP sensor circuit voltage high low vacuum).And the 42 code from when I was setting the timing.I cleared codes and the 33 code came back.I ordered an ALDL cable so I can do some datalogging and will fool with it some more when the cable gets here and get with Brian at tbichips to see if we can get it straightend out.

What is the BCC/chip code?

Have you checked the MAP sensor? Vacuum line hooked to center port between fuel lines?

-= =-

The Chip Code is BDXJ

Yes the vac line for the MAP sensor is hooked up to the center port in the rear of the TB between fuel lines.I have checked the connector and the the wiring in the harness and cant find no bad wires.I have another MAP sensor I'm going to put on and try.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrenneman13 View Post
    I finally got my motor swap done.But now I have run in to a problem.The motor is a bone L31 vortec 350 from a 97 donor truck.I am running the 350 tbi with 350 injectors with a dual plane vortec intake and tbi adapter from trans dapt.I replaced the fuel pump for the vortec pump in the tank.I contacted Brian at tbichips and had him do my chip.I installed the supplied 18psi spring.

My problem is my truck will start right up and idle good but smells like it is burning to rich.As soon as I hit the throttle it starts popping and backfiring through the tbi and exhaust.I have triple checked my timing and have it running at 0* right now.I have tried to advance it a little with no change in the way it acts.When I put the motor in I put all new sensor in with a rebuilt tbi.I starting to get frustrated as my truck has been down for a year now and I am wanting to start driving it again.I have a ALDL cable on the way so I can do some datalogging to see whats going on.

After seeing the other post about tbichips I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake.Would I have been better off to get the stuff to program the chip my self since I have the truck and can make changes as needed.I have been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like something I am capable of doing its just a matter of getting the stuff to do it.I went with tbichips as I wanted to get the truck up and running asap and Brian also told me he has done many chips for this swap so I pulled the trigger.

Lets say I want to burn my own chip.I know I need a burner and a G1 adapter and a couple chips.I have already downloaded tunerpro rt and have watched every tutorial on youtube I could find.I know I will need a base program to start with. Heres a list I came up with for burning my own chip.Should I ask for a refund on my chip and do the programming myself?

Now my question is Where do I find a program or BIN file to use a base program to work with?

Good luck to you,

I too have had issues getting Brain’s Chips to work as I was lead to believe they would from reading his website. In the end by chip # 6 after sending him several winaldl data logs he did get it to run pretty good. But like your Vortec motor, mine would also backfire through the throttle body and was not responsive to throttle input to cure it I had to set the base at 8* btdc. Still in the end I felt like there was room for improvement to be made to the program but just decided to chalk the deal with TBIChips up as a lesson learned.

As much as I wanted to buy the tools necessary to program my own chips I realized with as many irons I already have in the fire, I just didn’t have enough time to invest in learning right now. So instead I am having Gear Head member - Dave W of Old School EFI program a chip for me.

Trust me you have found the right site to help in solving your issues. Whichever you decide, to get the tools and learn to do it yourself (best choice if you have the time to invest) or get someone to program a chip for you the guys on here can fix you up. I find myself on the site 2 or 3 times a day now and I swear Eagle Mark lives on here helping anyone he can, I don’t know if the guy sleeps or not.

This site has helped me considerably, I have learned a lot and as you will find out there are several very helpful people on here that will go above and beyond to help you gain some understanding on how to use and understand Tuner Pro and how to use it to burn your own chips if you decide to go that route.

Like you I ordered a cable so that I could log data but ordered one with a 10k resistor in it that caused some issues when data logging. Make sure and get a cable without the 10k resistor in it or one with a switch so that it can be turned off.

Like I said Good Luck to You!!
    Last edited by devind; 03-12-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrenneman13 View Post
    The Chip Code is BDXJ

Yes the vac line for the MAP sensor is hooked up to the center port in the rear of the TB between fuel lines.I have checked the connector and the the wiring in the harness and cant find no bad wires.I have another MAP sensor I'm going to put on and try.
    That's a 16168625 with $E6. Many of these later PCM will run different mask ID.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/...shtml?BCC=bdxj

Is the motor running that bad that MAP/Vacuum would be low? Or there could be a vacuum leak?

Thanks devind for the kind words. I like what I do, do tuning in person is what I really enjoy and have recently started to tune via mail because of all the problems people have been having.

-= =-

Ok I got the MAP sensor worked out.Some how the vac line for the brake booster came off at the fitting in the intake.I'm still having trouble with it popping through the exhaust while idling and backfiring through the tbi when I hit the throttle.I just rechecked my timing and it is running at 0*.Could it be possible I have the distributor off by a tooth?

It could be off by 10 teeth and be adjusted to 0, with bypass wire disconnected, as long as you turn distributor far enough.

Turn key on and do not start. Does it come on, blink and stay on? Any codes now?

Back to basics, vacuum leaks? Spark plug wires to correct plugs in correct direction?

I wonder if you got a V6 Memcal in your V8 engine?

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It could be off by 10 teeth and be adjusted to 0, with bypass wire disconnected, as long as you turn distributor far enough.

Turn key on and do not start. Does it come on, blink and stay on? Any codes now?

Back to basics, vacuum leaks? Spark plug wires to correct plugs in correct direction?

I wonder if you got a V6 Memcal in your V8 engine?
    Thats what I thought about the timing.

First of all thank you for your help with this.

I turn the key to run and the CEL comes on goes off then comes back on and stays on.The only code I got was the 42 code so I cleared it.But the light still stays on.

I rechecked all vac lines and cant find no leaks.I double checked my spark plug wires and they are on right.I double checked to make sure all my ground wires were hooked up.

I took a video of the truck while running.
    This one is at the exhaust.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTqOy9NfUis

And this one is under the hood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MBl_6yVFvM

Last edited by jbrenneman13; 03-13-2013 at 03:19 AM.

CEL stays on when running?

-= =-

Yes it does

That is usually a sign of code or limp home mode. Disconnect power from PCM and try again. What code? No codes and CEL on is Limp Home Mode and major malfunction...

Something is wrong?

That video of exhaust pop is not good?

Could tell more if you had a data log with TunerPro...

-= =-

Wait? Your not still running BDXJ for a 4.3 V6 engine are you?

-= =-

I will try that tomorrow and see what happens.

That was my first thought that I may have put the wrong chip in but checked and it is the one that I got from tbichips.com that is suppose to be programmed for my motor unless he programmed it wrong.

Would it hurt anything to put my V6 chip in and see if it does the same thing?If does then that would mean my TBIchips is programmed for a V6 right?