Thread: Tuneup parts question.

Tuneup parts question.

My truck is in dire need of a tuneup, so I stopped at the local autoparts store tonight and got quotes for an Ac Delco tuneup. One thing puzzled us. The rotor had 2 listings, a D447 and a D470. One is special order only and for TBI, but it doesn't explain the difference between them, does anyone know? Plugs, wires, cap and rotor from AC Delco comes to $108. It hurts, but it needs it bad, last tuneup was Oct. 2010.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    I do`nt know the differences in the rotors so I`l comment on the rest of the thread.
    I always believ that My pickup came OE with Delco tune up components and so I try to keep it that way.It may not be the most inexpensive way but it is the right way.After all,how many miles does them plug wires run,80,000,70,000 I do`nt know so I try changing out the plug wires every other set of plugs and I have had no issues ever,with bad plug wires.
    A good indicator of how much resistance is down line from the dist. cap is to look at the upper inside of the cap and at the top of the rotor,how much black sooty looking stuff is it collected,quite a lot ? then it may be in need of plugs and wires.sometimes I have even seen them rotors where they were burnt,caused from an overload of resistance from extremely bad plug wires.

1/4 inch of white corrosion on the terminals in the Distributor cap isn't a good thing. I didn't look at the number of miles when I looked back to see when the tune up was. RockAuto will save me about $30 after shipping.

I've never seen a difference? Looked it up on Rock Auto and one is for 4x4?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7136

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

yeah I know, but nothing in the description tells what the difference is. I will just get the 4x4 tbi one, only $2 more

I'll give you the $4 for the other one and you can tell us the difference?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I think the other one is what I have now. I will look when I change it.

Fuel Injected!
    What do you need to see the difference on,the rotors?
    If they are in stock I can post up some pics tomorrow. I'll just go in and take em off the shelf. :)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I'll give you the $4 for the other one and you can tell us the difference?
    I`ll see Your $4.00 and raise You $2.00,You gonna call ?

Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    What do you need to see the difference on,the rotors?
    If they are in stock I can post up some pics tomorrow. I'll just go in and take em off the shelf. :)
    I have stock pictures, I can't see a difference, but if you have them on the shelf, it would be nice to know if there is a visible difference. Thanks

Administrator
    1/4 inch of white corrosion on the terminals in the Distributor cap isn't a good thing.
    Ozone plus water forms nitric acid which reacts with all metal surfaces inside the cap. We used to get trucks in for tune up where the rotor had to be split to removed it from the distributor. The the shaft had to be sanded to get the new part on. After attending a class that described problems in early LT1 Opti-spark units due to nitric acid, I installed a small vacuum fitting with a .012" hole in the base of the distributor in my '57 and connected the other end to ported vacuum to draw air in through the distributor vents when the throttle is open. That was in 1994. The same cap and rotor are still in the truck and still do not show significant corrosion. I also install distributor vents in the Vortec equipped vans because they suffer from condensation buildup which, unchecked, leads to no starts, hard starts, and a massive amount of corrosion accumulation.

An FYI: Delco today isn't Delco from 5 years ago. Delco has little if any manufacturing for aftermarket parts. I have purchased 8 Delco plugs and received parts from two different manufacturers in those boxes. Oil filters are now "Group 7" filters which are the same as many of the $2 to $3 filters on the shelves. Although I used to use Delco parts almost exclusively in my own vehicles, I now favor Autolite wires and Standard Plus caps and rotors. I'm not against Delco plugs but I do make sure that I open each box to get all parts from same manufacturer. I have also had very good luck using Bosch Platinum plugs (no Plus, or Plus 4, or any other extra garbage).

Super Moderator
    Most of the Delco oil filters now are the champion labs E-core design.... which are terrifyingly bad. WIX / purolator (and their storebrand derivatives) are a good place to look.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E