Thread: Vibration considerations for computer mounting

Vibration considerations for computer mounting

Hey guys I'm trying to mount a computer (16159278) to a car and wondering if what I have so far is a good idea in respect to vibration. I've never seen where or how this computer is supposed to be mounted in a 93 camaro, but probably suspect they might have used something rubber to mount it.

Anyway, looking to see if you think this mounting approach is a good idea.

Here's a picture of where the bracket actually goes on the computer mount.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions about how to mount the computer please let me know.
    Last edited by bentrod; 03-05-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: just adding suggestions

OK I'm just going to mount it and see how it goes. I'll post pics of the computer mounted tomorrow to show the final product.

BTW by "post pics" I mean show them through another site. I dont know why but I can't get img tags to work so it just shows the picture, but i should post that in another thread.

When in quick reply look bootm right for Go Advanced to attach images.

They have no rubber mounts from factory, under dash. Even work underhood until they get wet!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    They're solid state, nothing is going to vibrate. You're overthinking it =).

I read somewhere on TGO that certain TPI cars (maybe certain year vettes?) got water resistant OBD-I PCMs in the engine bay, but I've never seen one.
    '89 suburban. D60/aam10.5/4.10/32's, L31-tbi/gmpp/eccc-4l80e, $0d or $0d_maf_egr.asm

OK I have mounted it. Below are the pictures for how it went. I will give an update after I dunno, say 10k miles to see how it is holding up.

1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Administrator
    I read somewhere on TGO that certain TPI cars (maybe certain year vettes?) got water resistant OBD-I PCMs in the engine bay, but I've never seen one.
    Now you have.

I try to mount the ecm to the cab rather than fenders but they tend to be pretty durable. And IME if they exhibit problems related to vibration it's due to a problem which was already present. But make sure the wiring has some room for expansion and flexing. Leave a drop or sag in the harness where it passes from fender to body or fender to engine. Vibration will do more harm to a harness than an ecm.

Super Moderator
    yeah, that's the first version of the underhood cases that i know of...

first used on the 1227727 ECMs, then the 7727 derivatives in 90(1228708(?), the vette ZR1 PCM and W-body 3800)) and 91(16149396) and 92(92-93 LT1 PCM).... they all look pretty much identical externally.

then in 93, the second underhood style came around, which in 94 the LT1 picked up and was used for a few years until the dual 80 pin OBD2 underhood cases were used everywhere.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E