Thread: BPW and Injector math

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for your reply Dave. I feel like I *could* tune better than a FAST or Holley MPFI system with enough time and trial and error. I have had this setup for over a year and not had the time to learn enough to make a perfectly drivable bin IMO. However, I feel as though there are some limitations to the 1227747 $42 ECM that can't be solved such as:

Inability to correct using a wide band
    Low-resolution fuel/spark tables
    Slow sensor polling intervals

The FAST or Holley MPFI kits are not cheap and do require standalone Ignition controls. Probably total parts cost of 4 grand. On the plus side, there is now a one to one relationship with the injector and cylinder. I would really like the current TBI system to run as smoothly as my daily driver but feel as though I am currently overwhelmed with tuning and have a need of my Jeep being ready for the winter.

Lastly, I feel as though the Holley or FAST kit would net me better fuel economy. Currently averaging 10 MPG with this setup in a 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ which weighs in around 3300 pounds. I have the motor bolted up to the stock AX15 5 speed with a custom bellhousing, 4.10 gears and 35 inch tires. It will run around 2k RPM doing 70. The MPG isn't the problem so much so is the 15 gallon fuel tank. My commute into work is 80 miles round trip and having to fill up every day is annoying.

--
    Kris
    Last edited by 350yj; 04-11-2016 at 04:57 AM.