Thread: 96 LT1 to 0411 PCM with optispark/COP

Carb and Points!

96 LT1 to 0411 PCM with optispark/COP

So I have a 96 corvette, and am working on a 0411 pcm conversion. But not the efi connections stuff.

anyway, I have been doing some extensive research. I want to integrate my CCM into the mix and am looking at using the 04 gto PIM to translate the class 2 to 8192 uart.

so back to the subject... What does it take to get EVERYTHING off my 96 pcm?
    I want to know how and what does the optispark reading... what and how it defines which cylinder is which, and what the rest of the pcm sees from the optispark
    Basically, I want to use the optispark on the 0411. I want to know if I could just change the section of the chip that reads the 24x reluctor wheel, and change it to how the 96 pcm reads the optispark. I would only be using the signal side of the opti, not the high voltage side. I plan to use the CNP from the 0411.

I am working with another corvette owner who is doing the zr1 section of this project. Together we plan to produce a pnp style kit to use the 0411 pcm on c4 corvettes. We are in the developmental stages and just need some more information.

I will likely start another thread about the whole project, I just need to know the subject of this thread... how do I get EVERYTHING off my 96 LT4 pcm. I see it has two buses, one for j1850 vpw and one for 8192 uart, and I would like to know if I can just use the uart bus to get into the pcm.

Thanks guys.

Post moved to it's own thread in OBDII section.

Great idea! But taking something that works and trying to put an Optispark in the middle for signal just baffles my brain, find the code in PCM that the optispark uses and install in code for PCM that uses COP? Just to eliminate a crank trigger wheel?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for making my own thread, I had a feeling I should have done that in the first place.<br><br>Yes, it is a little baffling at first to understand the "why would you" aspect. This is the objective, a total plug and play for the newer pcm on the 92-96 lt1/4 corvettes and the 90-95 zr1 corvettes.&nbsp;<br>Within this objective, is the least intrusive method for adaptation. This is aimed at guys who dont&nbsp;exactly&nbsp;have their feet wet in the tuning area, but would rather drive to a tuner and have their car tuned. Something you cant exactly do with these corvettes. So building a kit to allow the end user to plug in an adapter to theirr current harness, plug in a few new&nbsp;pieces&nbsp;(coils etc), and drive down to the local dyno for a tune is what they want.<br><br>Hurtles are few and tall.&nbsp;<br>1. 24x signal<br>2. J1850 VPW (Class 2) serial data converted to 8192 uart (aldl) for the cars bus<br>3. plug-in adaptation of existing wiring harness.&nbsp;<br>4. ZR1 dual maps for air fuel and spark, valet key etc.&nbsp;<br><br>Now since we are producing this, and intend to make money from it, I cant divulge too much and frankly dont want to get into the guts of all of it.&nbsp;<br><br>What I do want to get into is how and where the information from the optispark is changed into something that the computer uses. I know too much about the opti, have plotted its signal traces and physical layout of the encoder wheel, know the guts of the optical side and its entire design and construction. What I dont know is how the PCM takes this 720x and 8x signal and turns it into the est signal, I understand how the&nbsp;tune-able&nbsp;parameters are used to adjust spark and so on. But how does the pcm use those 720 pulses and 8 variable length pulses to determine which cylinder is firing? I know of one other person who knows this information, Bailey at LTCC. Unfortunately that would give away his secret if he told me how his module did it.&nbsp;<br>Objectively, I want to use the optispark to drive the 0411 pcm. For easy plug and play purposes. I know I can just cut a 24x and 1x pattern into the opti encoder, I know I can do something similar to what EFI connections does, I know I can make a new reluctor etc. These options have been explored and considered...yet dismissed. I have a feeling that if I can find the code, that reads and translates the opti encoding, and take that portion along with its diagnosis and move it over to where the 0411 has its 24x signal, I feel that I can&nbsp;essentially&nbsp;makea 0411 that runs of an opti. Eliminating the need for new reluctors, or digging into the engine period. Making it totally plug and play.<br>Further discussion with other engineers has led me to more information. There is a version of the 0411, the G-Van, that uses an 8x signal and a more conventional distributor. This leads me to believe that the reluctor reading portion of the 0411 can be re-written to suit my needs. Further more, with an 8x signal or 9x signal, a waste spark setup can be used or the optispark and single coil can be used if desired. This opens up the avenue for the ZR1 and the purists who dont want to remove their current setup, but want a better (or any) option for a pcm. (as in the case of the zr1, they have no source for&nbsp;replacement&nbsp;ecm or ignition modules. They are stuck and fearful.)<br><br>So, does anyone have the bin file for a 96 corvette? Anyone know where the opti information is processed?

Fuel Injected!
    The 411 can read the 4x crank reluctor with the conventional Vortec distributer using teh 2001-2002 van calibration. It can also read the 24x reluctor of the LS1. There is no 8x reluctor.
    There was a 454 7.4l BBC RPO L21 that ran a 24x relcutor underneath the front timing cover similar to the 4x reluctor found on the 1996-2002 Vortec 305/350 trucks/vans. This reluctor is pretty much the same as the EFIConnection 24x relcutor except the GM reluctor is designed for teh BBC crank snout.

I hope you can find something to work with the LT5's 9x reluctor.

peace
    Hog

Now since we are producing this, and intend to make money from it, I cant divulge too much and frankly dont want to get into the guts of all of it.

What I do want to get into is how and where the information from the optispark is changed into something that the computer uses.
    Your producing a product, that you can't figure out how to make work... and... your intending to make money from it.... but don't want to tell us anything about it... and you want us to tell you how to do it for free? Am I following along here correctly?

Check your email, I'll send out everything you need.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-