Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JET DST aka. Tuner Cats OBD II any good ?

that little 4.8 can be spun up to 6500 rpm's. tuning on it can be made really beneficial. with a 216-220-525-532-114 cam it will run very well. had one. great little engine. that 4.8 mounted in your firebird with that cam and a 2200 stall would run awesome.

I have Jet DST, Tunercats I & II and HPT
    Jet is the worst tuning package you can buy. There is no support at all, no answer to emails, nothing.
    The box can only handle 6 vehicles. It comes with 4 VIN licenses, when all are used you can send the box to Jet to add 2 more, but that's it. If you need to tune more vehicles you need to buy another interface box.

For your needs, HPTuners is your best option.

I only had my Jet DST a week and never used it, had no idea it was that bad...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I think I had said already that I wasn't a fan of JET products. I forget exactly what caused me to develop the negative feelings, but I just remember that I don't really like the company and won't normally even consider buying any of their products.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

The product itself is good because is based off Tunercats. However it lacks any kind of support, it's almost impossible to get a response from Jet.

I have received support from HPtuners even on sundays. I have made requests for new vehicles and features and they were always added to a new release in a reasonable period of time. It makes me gladly pay $100 bucks to tune each car.

Tunercats also has a very good customer support, I have emailed several times and got a response every time.

Any product is as good as the support you get with it.

Fuel Injected!
    I just downloaded Jet DST last week and it comes with a 2011 5.3 LMG calibration, both the TCM and ECM calibrations to play with. I cant believe how complex these new PCM's are.
    Jet has quite a big capability, as its based of TC2, but doesnt hold you hand like others. No support, but if you have to tune and know what needs to be done, it is effective.
    So happy I snagged TC2. Support from John is awesome.

peace
    Hog

hp tuners also has a forum in which you can learn and ask questions.

I have to say that so far I still haven't seen any problems with HP Tuners for what I am wanting to do. Overall, they support the 3800 and are still $300 cheaper than EFI Live so that makes it fairly attractive to me. For now at least, I am just wanting to be able to make some fairly simple changes to the wife's car and my truck so I am not worried about more advanced stuff like PCM swaps and things of that nature. I think that my mind is fairly made up at this point, but I won't be making any purchases for a little bit while I get the truck in shape and get rid of my piles of stuff for the firebird.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

Carb and Points!
    Newbie first post... LOL!!

Guys,
    Just wondering, I see complaints about JET DST but is not the exact program same as Tunercat OBDII?!? So whenever Tunercat is updated, so is Jet DST...right?!? Other than unlimited licenses for TC, and 6 for Jet, what else is different? Again, just wondering....

DayShifter

Quote Originally Posted by dayshifter View Post
    Newbie first post... LOL!!

Guys,
    Just wondering, I see complaints about JET DST but is not the exact program same as Tunercat OBDII?!? So whenever Tunercat is updated, so is Jet DST...right?!? Other than unlimited licenses for TC, and 6 for Jet, what else is different? Again, just wondering....

DayShifter
    1- You can't read calibrations without spending a VIN license, the same is true for flashing. If the vehicle is not licensed you can't flash it.
    It makes sense not to allow flashing without a license, but read should be allowed for free.

With TC you can read/flash/change vin without restrictions