Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JET DST aka. Tuner Cats OBD II any good ?

JET DST aka. Tuner Cats OBD II any good ?

I really want to get into some OBD II tuning and want to be able to tune my wife's '00 Grand Prix. I found that EFI Live does not support those controllers and has no plans to so that leaves me with HP Tuners and JET as options. I like what I see with HP Tuners and was gonna go that route, but I have been looking for a good deal to save as much as I can. In the process of looking I have found a couple of the JET tuners that I can get at a discount. Before I go spending that kind of money, I still wanted to get some opinions from people that have used it and possibly HP Tuners as well. I don't see any major limitations of the JET tuner so far, but I know that there's always a good chance for disappointment when you buy an unfamiliar product. Thanks in advance,

Phil
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

from reading on ls1tech and performance trucks they don't like it. and it will not datalog. only a few people like it at all. but it is cheaper than hptuners. I have used hptuners and loved it. and there is great support for hptuners on their forum.

No data so you need another program. IIRC $150 per license. Very limited programming, no TDF editor like TunerCat OBDII which it was when sold to Jet.

If your accustomed to all TunerPro can do you would be very disappointed in Jet as I was, then sold it without use...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Well, I was worried about data since there was no mention of it. I have never been a fan of JET just because they don't give much information on their products. My opinion is if you're not willing to give shoppers clear and adequate descriptions and demonstrations of your product then I'm not willing to give you my business. Anyway, I figured it was too good to be true for me to find such a good deal on new equipment. I found a seller on ebay selling the JET DST tuners for $350 shipped. I guess I'm back to HP Tuners, which I haven't heard anything bad about, but I was just trying to save some $$$$.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.

You can download JET to see what's there, yopu won't like it. But coupled with ScanXL pro and GM enhanced PIDS and cable (about $300) it does all the TunerPRo will do. Still no where close to EFI Live with both in same program.

I went EFI Live becuase of RoadRunner. Still can't figure out the complication of HP credits?

Just recently I tried to use the trial version of HP tuners and can't even get it to install?

-= =-

I was going to download some trial versions to get an idea before I buy anything. I won't go with Efi Live any time soon because the only OBD II vehicle I currently own is my wife's 2000 Grand Prix and they don't support that controler or have any plans to support it.

credits aren't to bad. 2 credits needed for EACH vehicle tuned. if you want to tune that year model unlimited then you get to the amount of credits needed. example: 1999 fbody gen 3. once you have purchased 6 credits you can tune gen 3 cars for that year. as many as you want. so after purchasing 6 credits at 49.00 each ( each being 2 ) which is 150.00 you can tune as many 1999 gen 3 fbodies as you want to.

Yeah but when you have a 2000 PCM and install a 2002 OS (you can't) and flash it into a 1998 vehicle you can't even change the VIN! Another reason I went EFI Live...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Tunercat and JET are two different versions.
    Tunercat is worth every dollar IF you already know what your doing because it will not help,but as a tool it is the most fully featured and no vin licensing.
    JET is still fully functional but is vinlocked and you must pay for each tune.

If your gonna do that anyway,and want the easiest possible process to tune with then HPtuners is the way to go really.
    The only way to buy TCII now is in a $2500 package (still worth it) or used (expect to pay asking price and jump when you see it.)

I really wish EFILive would support the 3800's,i've asked but they could care less.

Super Moderator
    i don't have any direct experience with HPT, but i sure do get some interesting things told to me about it/them... enough to where due to them being the only still-existing option for the OBD2 V6 stuff, i don't want to go near it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

You can start with TunerCat OBDII RoadRunner cheaper then that if you don't buy all the tdf, but have to buy a RoadRunner. I think it's the only way to buy TC OBDII now? Still get the flash cable and WinFlash, can buy the .tdf seperate.

I like my TunerCat OBDII, no licences per PCM!

-= =-

I downloaded the trial version of HP Tuners and it appears to be pretty decent so far. I see all the features I was looking for. For what I'm needing for now there's no way I'm going to drop more than $500 on a tuner.
    Last edited by pmkls1; 02-17-2013 at 09:58 AM.

I don't own nor have never used HPTuners. I do have a copy of it loaded on my laptop---But I don't have the cable/box. At the time I did the 0411 and twin turbo install on my 98 GMC, HPTuners didn't have a Custom Operating System (COS) for the 2002 Express Van calibration. I purchased a used Tunercat that came with a broken screened laptop for $350.00 just because I wanted it. Even though I was a GIANT Newb, I still knew TC wouldn't work for my truck. I just bought it because I wanted it. That is probably to this day the best purchase of anything that I have ever bought. (Back to the COS) I purchased EFILIve and am VERY happy with it. All 3 tuning suites are awesome. Each one can do a few things that the other ones can't. Most of the stuff that I ever mess with is retro-fitted hotrod truck stuff. Where I live (Cook County Ill.) we have to pass emissions. That means the VIN has to be in the PCM. HPTuners software requires the year of the Operating system and VIN to match. HPTuners VIN protocol just won't work for me. Tunercat and EFILive don't care what VIN is in the PCM.
    I can also do segment swaps with T/C or EFIlive in about 10 seconds. With HPTuners software, you must e-mail your current tune and a tune with the segment/segments that you want swapped to HPTuners and they do the swap and e-mail back the tune.

Jeff
    Last edited by Lextech; 02-17-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Segment swap info
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Administrator
    There's always this option:
    http://www.tunercat.com/obd2/dealerkit.html

This allows uploading / downloading of flash calibrations. After you've got the cal you'll still need a way to tune it. If you can find a TP definition file then the tuning's covered with TP. Plus the reflash tool allows reading / writing everything TC supports. If you can find an older trial version of HPT that saves files in binary mode you'll have a way to tune all sorts of OBDII vehicles for just the cost of the reflash software.

There are some V6 specific tools out there as well. One was popular on the GAGT forum. Maybe I have a copy of that software somewhere? I'm using a freeware scanner called UVScan. There are others. UVScan allows you to define your own PIDs although so far I haven't had the time to play with that. I tried using the version of mxscan available from Moates' site. Reading the download page leaves me with the impression that it should be fully functional. In my case it won't connect and I'm not really interested in pursuing it.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 02-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Yeah but when you have a 2000 PCM and install a 2002 OS (you can't) and flash it into a 1998 vehicle you can't even change the VIN!
    I'm not terribly up on the OS rewrites with HP Tuners, although I have one I use TunerCATS 98% of the time, but you can change VIN through HP Tuners with impunity. Using HP you can connect to most GM vehicles and change the VIN without licensing the PCM, in fact. What HP and EFI lock to is the internal VCM ID number, which is not editable by any readily available software. If you lift the chip and read it out, VCM ID is a handful of bytes after the VIN in the binary itself.

I've been meaning to pick up an EFI Live unit so I'm not hit over the head with OS upgrades like HP does, and for eventual diesel use.