Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Support The Forum: Buy ALDL Cables!

Super Moderator

Support The Forum: Buy ALDL Cables!

Been chatting with Mark about this for a while now, figured I should pull the trigger and actually do it.

Support the forum!

Every ALDL cable sold nets Mark $5 to keep the forum at its current level of awesome.

For $45 shipped to anywhere the continental US, you'll receive a USB ALDL cable (based off of the Uber-Easy design i have posted about) in either of the two styles shown above. The switches on the side are used to connect/disconnect a 10K resistor needed for certain ECMs to stream data. A 4 foot USB cable is semi-permanantly attached, I say "semi" since it's replaceable should it wear out/get destroyed by removing the cover, pulling the old one out and slapping in a new one. I like easily replaceable wear items. If 4 feet isn't enough, USB extension cables do exist and I see no reason why they wouldn't work in this application.

If there is enough interest, I can look into creating a cable with the OBD2 end, or even making a single cable with both the 12 pin and 16 pin connectors to cover practically everything GM 1995 and earlier. The OBD2 only end would likely end up at the same price, but the 12 + 16 cable would probably cost a little more, maybe $60 shipped?

In any situation, please voice any concerns/questions/needs in this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RobertISaar; 02-13-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Well thanks Robert. I didn't know about the $5. It will go to upgrades I've been wanting to do...

Nice Red X picture!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    bad linking. should be fixed now.

Is it just the picture or is there only an inch or so between the 12 pin connector and the box?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    it's not the picture.... i can't find a source for the molded connectors that are longer, have the correct pins present and are cheaper. aldlcables.com wants $21/shipped just for their connector.

while the wires could be extended, that would make a weak point in the cable since solder won't hold up to being tweaked/twisted/abused the way copper can. this is the best compromise i can come up with. i've used them as-is without issue, but the location of the port will really be the biggest factor in how easily they will work. the port location on a W-body works great.

I'll take one to try on a 730 what's your paypal address robert ?

Super Moderator
    it would take me a few weeks to get the parts needed shipped in...

i really need to just stockpile a good 10 or so of everything needed to get the stuff done within a day of a request.

Does this have a 10k switch that can be turned on AND off?

-= =-

let me know when I can get one

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Does this have a 10k switch that can be turned on AND off?
    that is what the switch on the side is for... could also make it a direct link if for some reason you wanted to be able to flash codes on the SES light if you knew you would never need the 10K resistor.

Cool! Cables got to have an on/off 10k switch!

I'll take two!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    i guess i should start ordering parts then... :D

Fuel Injected!
    I'm interested in one as well for my '94-95 LT1s. But let me ask - I have an existing ALDL cable that's 6' long - could you make an option where you send me the box all built up with everything BUT the ALDL cable portion and then I'll just wire my ALDL cable into the box myself?

Super Moderator
    i wouldn't mind it at all... if you can solder onto a .1" pitch header(or through-hole if the header is removed) then you shouldn't have issues attaching any cable to the converter board. i would need a estimate on the diameter of the insulation for the cable so that the box can have the proper sized hole in it to pass the cable through.

if you can't, or don't want to risk it, then you could mail me the existing end and i'll attach it. expect around ~$2.30 to ship it USPS first-class in a padded envolope.

either way, that's less parts for me to buy, so i can cut you a break on the price as well.

Fuel Injected!
    Quick question, but would this thing support PCM reflashes? I didn't seem to find a clear answer in the other thread.