Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tbi into 76 vortec heads ?

tbi into 76 vortec heads ?

im restoring my 76 chevy 4x4 and im gonna drop in a tbi out of a 94 Z71 but stock it doesnt have the power i want are vortec heads a good idea or just leave the tbi heads on it and get the power elsewhere ?

Administrator
    Vortec heads flow more and burn cleaner but the TBI intake won't bolt up and it doesn't flow well anyway. To see more improvement with vortecs use a carb intake and ana dapter top get the TBI installed.

ok thanks hopin to start the rebuild on it soon tryin to figure out what all i need
    76 scottsdale 4x4
    76 nova 383

Vortec heads are an excellent upgrade. The stock TBI chip is not going to work very good, so plan on "tuning" the chip to get the best possible performance from the Vortec heads.

dave w

Ok, i havent got my pcm yet actually havent got my wiring harness either im putting it into my 76 scottsdale i think i have a pretty good grasp on the swap the only thing im unsure of is which wires go to the fuseblock 12v, grd, k/o 12v etc cant find a clear wiring diagram on it, the motors out of a 94 z71.
    76 scottsdale 4x4
    76 nova 383

If you study the diagrams while you have a JY harness pulled, you will easily find what your looking for. It's not hard when it's layed out in front of you, don't sweat that part. If I knew the exact answer I would tell you, but each harness from each vehicle is a little differant.

Back to engine, if you are going to Vortec heads, intake is needed, may as well do headers and a cam (preferably roller) to match, stock Vortec cam is OK, I beleive the stock LT1 cam is also a good cheap choice, then of course a load of aftermarket. Then! It is a very worthy upgrade.

With this you do need some chip tuning, will also need a little more fuel pressure.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

awesome any suggestions on what vehicle and year to rob my harness from that will plug up to the 94 tbi and which computer to look for thats easily tunable and dumb question but whats memcal ? thanks !
    76 scottsdale 4x4
    76 nova 383

Memcal is a chip in newer PCM, it has the netres and knock module as well. The older ECM had seperate chip, netres and external Knock module.

If you have the E trans to go with that motor you need the newer PCM/harness with memcal.. 93 to 95 chevy trucks. If no E trans you can use older ECM/harness from 87 to 93 trucks.

-= =-

ok im using an older style 4 speed manuel trans, am i correct in assuming the older the harness i find the less extra wires ill have to weed out ? and what about ecm which one should i look for ?
    76 scottsdale 4x4
    76 nova 383

If you want to use the Vortec heads and TBI you have another intake manifold option...

GM Performance Part Number: 12496821

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...1/media/images

More information about Vortec heads and other small block Chevrolet heads

http://www.chevymania.com/tech/vortec.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BIGWORM76 View Post
    ok im using an older style 4 speed manuel trans, am i correct in assuming the older the harness i find the less extra wires ill have to weed out ? and what about ecm which one should i look for ?
    The popular choice for the ECM is 1227747. The aftermarket has wiring harnesses for the 1227747 ECM, that can really save time and trouble in the long run.

dave w

Administrator
    For this application the manifold linked above may not be the best choice. It's nothing more than a stock intake with a Vortec head bolt pattern and an Edelbrock / GMPP price. It has the same small ports at the TB and the same small plenum as a stock TBI intake. Again, I'd recommend a carburetor intake with an adapter under the TB.

Using an ecm with intake air temperature sensing can result in more consistent behavior if you're in an area where the temp can change substantially through the seasons.

Is the 7747 better than the 7727 idk the diff just read on some of the other forums that it was a good choice? and does anyone have any suggestions for an auto trans and transfercase with overdrive that'll fit in my 76 scottsdale ? started thinkin about my 4 speed today and dont think its gonna be the best choice as always thanks for the advice !!!!!
    76 scottsdale 4x4
    76 nova 383

The 7727 is for TPI, and the 7747 is for TBI.

dave w

Did he get that confused with 16197427 for TBI? It is the PCM for Etrans and is a faster newer PCM.

-= =-