Thread: 92ford probe gt turbo, stock

Electronic Ignition!

92ford probe gt turbo, stock

any way to tune the ford / mazda probe gt. i have a stock turbo ford probe gt about 13 psi but the fuel cut hits around 14-17 based on air flow and the fuel maps end. theres know chips to remove the boost cut and thats great but im interested in tuning it since im swapping the the baby IHI turbo for a t3 style and will need to make changes.
    1992 ford probe 2.2l turbo, intercooler, vane air meter like the turbo coupes same as a turbo 626 or mx6 ecu is not ford its mazda as is the motor and everything
    94 z28
    92 ford probe gt 2.2 turbo
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Re: 92ford probe gt turbo, stock

I haven't tuned on a Probe specifically but it seems to use the same EEC-IV hardware that other Fords do. That means the usual tuning tricks will work - ie attaching a Moates Quarterhorse to the J3 port on the car computer and modifying the tune with the appropriate software.

Can you get a look at your car's computer and see what the code is written on the tag ?
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

Electronic Ignition!

i pretty certain its a mazda ecu the motor is a f2t thats mazda 2.2l 12 valve same motor and ecu as the mx6 turbo. if it was possible it seems i would have heard about it im on the probe forum contantly searching and reading but maybe a tuned turbo coupe ecu would work. both motors use the van air meter and a map. everyone buys the probinator chip , yeah i know lame name but anyways it allows you to boost past 12ish psi or so. the ecu hits fuel cut, not boost cut at around 12psi. the boost control solenoid isnt hooked up on my car instead a boost controller, anyways, that how we all turn up our boost, unhook boost control solenoid and instal manual boost controler:) but the ecu stops you from going much over 12psi depending on conditions like temp and elevation and air density i geuss. so the solder a sock in place of the old chip and install the probinator chip which just has rewritten fuel maps i geuss. anyways people are burning this chip copy and theres a few other variants out there. so i geuss thats why most people just buy a chip and cal it good but i like datalogging and changing stuff and im not quite ready for mega squirt which is what most of the probe guys use when they switch to a bigger turbo. so anyways, here to learn and soak up whatever i can like a sponge
    94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Super Moderator

what processor does the ECM use? i may be able to rough out a hack for you if i know what we're dealing with.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Short hijack as I am here to learn as well.

What is a vain Air Meter?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I'm getting some conflicting data from my searches. Mega Squirt claims that the early Probe uses the same hardware as the Mustang (at least on the V6), when I enter the part number for a replacement Probe ECU it is the same number as for the Crown Vic and some other Ford vehicles - but some other sites claim it uses the Mazda electronics. If you can post the catchword or calibration code I might be able to track it down more definitely.
    How many lbs of boost can the stock engine handle before it self destructs ?
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

Probes, from my experience could use either Ford or Mazda electronics.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!

vane air meter has a air van that has a spring, more air the more thspring opens and it has a tps like device on it i think it has a temp sensor inside it too. porsche 944 had em, toyota efi trucks, most mazdas, ford festivas(mazda motors)
    if its a v6 probe 89- 92 its a ford v6 3.0 vulcan motor
    if its a 4cyclinder na or turbo its mazda f2 12valve sohc.
    i dont know much about the 2nd gen 93-whatevers

is there a way to link this thread to the performance probe forum, i could get you all the info you need that way.
    94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Electronic Ignition!
    94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Electronic Ignition!

94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Electronic Ignition!

94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

That doesn't appear to be a Ford EEC-IV so I guess it's by Mazda. I'm no help tuning a Mazda :?: Doing a piggy back installation of another ECU like Mega Squirt might be your best option to get full tunability and still keep the stock Probe accessories working.

Electronic Ignition!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    That doesn't appear to be a Ford EEC-IV so I guess it's by Mazda. I'm no help tuning a Mazda :?: Doing a piggy back installation of another ECU like Mega Squirt might be your best option to get full tunability and still keep the stock Probe accessories working.
    no only the 3.0 is ford the later 2.0 and 2.5 v6 and the 2.2 are all mazda.
    whats your experiance withe the t bird and svo mustang 2.3t ecu stuff? a ford 2.3t ecu would be very close match and like they do with hondas a harness could be made for mazda to ford. most of the sensors are the same on both the probe 2.2 and the ford turbo coupe and svo. i think it might even be possible to switch most of the engine harness over. never heard of anyone trying it but i cant see why it wouldnt be possible
    94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Electronic Ignition!

94 z28
    91 jeep cherokee
    93 yamaha FZR600R

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    That doesn't appear to be a Ford EEC-IV so I guess it's by Mazda. I'm no help tuning a Mazda :?: Doing a piggy back installation of another ECU like Mega Squirt might be your best option to get full tun-ability and still keep the stock Probe accessories working.
    I didn't know you could use the Mega Squirt to piggy back? Hmmm! May be an expensive unit for just piggyback duties...

Now if you have to go Piggyback tuner it's not a bad thing. First choice is always factory ECM because if it's hackable it's probably been done and once you learn how you can do it over and over...

I have only had hands on experience with one aftermarket Piggyback tuner and it was the Perfect Power 6. I think they have a 7 and 8 now. Don't have the link where I can find it so Goggle them.

Very inexpensive and hooks up in between your factory ECM and engine. Then all adjustments can be made via laptop. Had everything needed for nitrous and turbo and blower. Plus if your ECM did't have factory adjustments it had a couple extra circuits and switches to use. I was very Leary at first but after I got one in and started to tune it? Wow, I was convinced it was way OK! Really can't believe it had an improved version but they still offer older versions too!

They also make stand alone ECMs and rev limiter and wide band stuff and everything for a race car to set up from scratch. I think the reason why we don't hear much of them here in the states is they are in somewhere strange... I need more coffee, I can't remember if it was South Africa or Australia...

But I am sure once you find them and read on the product you will agree it's a cool unit. They did have forums back then but it was only for tech support. So look it up, you will probably find the Probe guys there if they are not hackable factory units!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-