Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pictures of 2014 Stingray

It's not that I am against ethanol, E85 and cars designed for it show great results... if you can push enough fuel through you can obiviously make more power with more octane. But it still get's less MPG...

My issue with E10 is it was forced on us while the majority of vehicles were only marginally capible of using it without damage or running lean. Fuel milage also suffered, cost didn't go down for us/end user but our milage did while oil companies reaped benifits of goverment reductions of taxs etc... but the real issue was corrosion damage to even older vehicles, rotten wasted lawn equiptment etc...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It's not that I am against ethanol, E85 and cars designed for it show great results... if you can push enough fuel through you can obiviously make more power with more octane. But it still get's less MPG...

My issue with E10 is it was forced on us while the majority of vehicles were only marginally capible of using it without damage or running lean. Fuel milage also suffered, cost didn't go down for us/end user but our milage did while oil companies reaped benifits of goverment reductions of taxs etc... but the real issue was corrosion damage to even older vehicles, rotten wasted lawn equiptment etc...
    I totally agree with your opinions about E10 and the inevitable E15. I have been suspicious that some of the negative effects have been played up a little by some in the auto repair industry and also in the chemical additive industry for the purpose of profit though. The reduction in MPG when using E85 COULD and SHOULD be offset by lower cost, but the cost stays inflated due to a few factors. The largest factor for inflation is the simple fact that only certain gas stations have spent the money to install new pumps and tanks for it and they can jack up the price because they don't have any competition. I have decided that as long as things stay on track my house will be paid for in 4 years and I am going to build my own distillery in the back yard and make my own fuel.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

I still have yet to see any real damage from E10.

My grandfather owns a 1940 Dodge, that he restored back in 1990 or 1991, the fuel system is all original, or at least original type replacement parts, the engine is a 1950 model IIRC, and has NEVER been opened, it runs like a top. No signs of gumming, corrosion or any other issues. Along with multitudes of other vehicles I have owned, worked on, serviced, and rebuilt. Never one sign of damage that could be caused by fuel, not one.

I do agree that milage sucks, though I can't completely blame the fuel for that one, I do have a heavy foot.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    NONE of those problems are E10 specific.

All that list does is list possible engine problems, that could happen to any engine running any fuel. The only E10 "specific" items in that list are based on possible stored energy.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Ethanol specific... or alcohol, how ever you phrase it...

Never seen or heard of the engine problems, but I sure have dealt with the moisture, corrosion and seperation.

You run E fuel in your lawn mower? Stored over winter? Hows it run in the spring? Take a galss jar and put E fuel in it and leave it open, see what happens the next day. Have to do this above 32 degrees so there's moisture in the air. Seriously, I'd like to know why you have no issues and if your fuel is differant?

This spring I am going to the dump everyday and pickup all last years brand new lawn mowers and fix them for sale. Rich people just buy new ones when they don't start in spring here...

-= =-

I have seen the demonstrations that illustrate the moisture issues and phase separation so I know that it isn't just a myth. I have had vehicles come in for repairs that had cloudy fuel, but the incidents were too isolated to be able to determine a definite cause. I have also had to drain fuel tanks due to bad fuel, but in those cases they had been stored for very long periods of time so again the true cause couldn't be identified. I also store my lawnmowers in the basement over the winter every year and haven't encountered any problems honestly. The only problems that I have personally encountered that could be positively identified as ethanol specific were cases where the ethanol content was over 10% causing the fuel trims to go over the threshold and set lean codes. My experiences coupled together with the knowledge that the underground tanks at gas stations do get contaminated are the reasons that I am a little skeptical of just how much damage is actually due to ethanol. That is why I said that I don't dispute the fact that E10 causes problems I just feel like it is played up a little by certain people. Still, a true standard needs to be established with gas across the entire country and all gas engines manufactured for the U.S. market need to be designed to operate properly on said standardized fuel.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.