Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of 2014 Stingray

Fuel Injected!

Pictures of 2014 Stingray

A couple of pictures from the Detroit Auto Show of the 2014 Corvette.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The third LT1 engine...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    The third LT1 engine...
    Yeah, what's up with that ? I mean the first time they re-used the engine designation it was kind of cool. They resurrected the name of a pretty potent small block that was actually the last decent small block used in the corvette for 20 years. The 20 hp increase in power with the addition of direct of injection is kind of a let down, but I'll bet that within a year or two another even more potent base engine will pop up. They tend to do that to keep interest up. I am still undecided on the looks, but the performance is improved again.
    1999 GMC Sierra 1500 standard cab long bed 4.8 V8 2WD - A work in progress.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.
    2006 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 Supercharged - The wife's new grocery getter.

Stingray is back as well! Now with Direct Injection!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Stingray is back as well! Now with Direct Injection!
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there ?

The direct injection stuff is pretty cool honestly though. But if they wanna revive the stingray again they should try to add at least some styling cues from the stingray. That's what I'm not real fond of with the looks. It looks like they ran out of ideas once they got to the tail and pasted the ass end of a camaro on there or something. It just doesn't mesh with the rest of the car if you ask me. But I'd still sell my left nut to have a new vette. I mean at the end of the day they are still an impressive machine and they outperform anything else in that price range.
    2000 Grand Prix GT sedan 3800 - My new daily driver inherited from the wife via the insurance company totaling it out after a minor collision.

Fuel Injected!
    At the Detroit car show they had a good cut-away of the new engine. Unfortunately we forgot to get a close up picture of the combustion chamber. The pistons are domed to work specific with the direct injection. Some pictures I saw of the new engine had O2 on each cylinder but they are not using dedicated cylinder o2 for production. With DI some engines are injecting fuel during exhaust stroke to increase cat and o2 warm up times.

Quote Originally Posted by POZE View Post
    At the Detroit car show they had a good cut-away of the new engine. Unfortunately we forgot to get a close up picture of the combustion chamber. The pistons are domed to work specific with the direct injection. Some pictures I saw of the new engine had O2 on each cylinder but they are not using dedicated cylinder o2 for production. With DI some engines are injecting fuel during exhaust stroke to increase cat and o2 warm up times.
    I have a bunch of pics of the internals of a direct injected 3.6 that I haven't gotten around to uploading and adding notes to. When I finally get around to it I was planning on starting a thread for those interested in learning a little more about direct injection and whatnot. So, keep an eye out if you're interested.

Fuel Injected!
    Seeing the pictures would be great.
    I misspoke on the other post. The goal of injecting at the end of power into exhaust stroke is to decrease cat and o2 warm up time.

Quote Originally Posted by POZE View Post
    Seeing the pictures would be great.
    I misspoke on the other post. The goal of injecting at the end of power into exhaust stroke is to decrease cat and o2 warm up time.
    I can't really visualize much and grasp a concept based on a verbal/written explanation when it comes to anything. But if I can see pictures and illustrations of how something works I usually don't have much trouble learning and understanding how it works. Direct injection is fairly simple mechanically speaking, but it is still pretty cool to see pics. I don't remember much in the way of emissions related stuff when I did my training on GM's direct injection stuff so I wouldn't recall any strategies like what you mentioned but it makes sense. All that I really paid attention to and committed to memory was information relating to driveability and mechanical failure diagnosis and repair.

They are basicly copying diesels...lol. If you know how a common rail diesel works, or even just a regular diesel works, then the direct injection is more or less basicly the same. Very high pressure fuel injected directly into the cylinder instead of the intake.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I watched the unveiling for this, live.

This is the first 'Vette, since the '63, that I like the looks of.

Very Ferrari influenced.

The lack of new name for the engine is not only a let down, but annoying at the same time.

Now when someone says "I have an LT1", you have to ask if it's the 1st, 2nd or 3rd iteration. :facepalm:
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    They are basicly copying diesels...lol. If you know how a common rail diesel works, or even just a regular diesel works, then the direct injection is more or less basicly the same. Very high pressure fuel injected directly into the cylinder instead of the intake.
    You're right, they are basically a copy of a diesel and the fuel systems operate in the same manner. I am totally clueless as to the design and development of direct injected engines by other manufacturers so I don't know what their engines look like inside. When GM first started using SIDI engines in a few of their vehicles I was pretty curious to see what everything looked like. I know from conversations with a field engineer that GM encountered some unique problems while developing their SIDI engines. As a result the pistons have a unique design on top. It is also intriguing to see how they modified the engines to utilize direct injection since they are all based on existing designs. All of the engines up to the "new" LT1 were adapted without any cylinder block modifications or any "major" modifications. Some small changes to the cylinder heads and new pistons were all they had to do to facilitate the adaptation. Sadly it appears that I have finally been locked out of GM's system now and I myself am a little curious to see the cylinder heads on the "new" LT1 as well as the pistons so I'll have to pull a few strings to get back in the system.

Some of the things I've read about direct injection opens new doors to Lean cruise! Piston is already half compressed before fuel is injected and ignites with a barrier to piston and cylinder wall. No heat! 21.x AFR...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Almost like a combustion chamber in the piston. Like diesel.
    A fair share of the direct injection engines that i saw cutaways of,have oil spray nozzles pointed to the bottom of the pistons.