Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAT temp vs MAT table (S_AUJP)

Fuel Injected!

MAT temp vs MAT table (S_AUJP)

asked on the TGO but figure i will ask here too since i dont see some over there....

Ive noticed for awhile now that the data being spit out by the ecm doesnt correspond to the correct cells on the table. yesterday i spent about 30 min trying to figure out how far off it really is using the data tracing feature. had to make drastic changes in the values so the engine would respond enough for me to notice. so the issue is, say the IAT temp indicates 20*C, ill go to the corresponding cell and adjust the value at 20*C, nothing. then ill move up the the next cell which is (iirc) 44*C, adjust that value, nothing. then the next cell 56*C, adjust that and engine responds right away. so from my tinkering ive found that the indicated temperature from the datastream is about a 30*C difference from the table. this makes it difficult to fine tune since the difference is that great. would there be something wrong with the conversion in the ADX? either way i need to be able to adjust the value in the table that directly corresponds to the indicated temperature from the datastream. and help will be appreciated!
    '86 Grand National

IAT, MAT ADX value is same as ECT value, both sensors read the same : X * 1.350000 + -40.000000

The way to test IAT sensoe is the same as ECT:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...erature+Sensor

But your thread says MAT and your question is IAT? IAT reads incoming air and at cruise should be same as ambient temps, can rise some at idle when air intake track is being heated from underhood temps. MAT reads air temp inside intake manifold so it is heated and will never match ambient temps.

Just to be clear of code, some IAT actually use a blend of ECT to come up with MAT...

As far as the table, it is just like a VE table, actual number is not what is in that cell but rather a computation of that cell and surrounding cells.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    its an IAT sensor I just used the MAT to identify the table. IAT functions as normal. if i use the datatracing to adjust value in VE table, like idle for instance, ill change the cell the is highlighted. the cell that is highlighted(by the datatracing bubble) is the actual cell im adjusting, no descrepancy. for the MAT table the cell hightlighted by the datatracing bubble doesnt match up with the corresponding value in the next cell directly to the right. i have to guess and its usually about 2 cells higher up in the range. im going to try and get some pics, seems like no one understands what im asking LOL. i need to work on my engrish

*edit* since the readout from the IAT is non linear it uses the lookup table, engine off and cold, the value seems to closely match ambient air temps. now for the equation in the XDF, it uses: 1.000000*X+0.000000. does that seem right?

*edit2* just looked at the ANHT hac and found this(below). not totally sure what im looking at lol
    ;--------------------------------------------------
    ; MAT COMP Vs MAT
    ;
    ; TABLE is MAT COMP COUNTS
    ;--------------------------------------------------
    LD7FC LDX #$87FD ; MAT COMP VS MAT TBL (^.5)
    JSR LE3D0 ; 2d LOOK UP, NO OFF SET
    ;
    LDAB #128 ;
    MUL ; * 128
    ADDD #$7480 ; MAT = ((MAT^.5)+233)*128
    PSHB ;
    PSHA ;
    ;
    PULX ; ((MAT^.5)+233)*128, (Denom)
    LDD $86DD ; CYL VOL & UNIT CONV, 159d, (LITRE)
    FDIV ;
    STX L006D ; SAVE INV MAT, CYL VOL & SCALING TERM
    ; CYL VOL/((MAT^.5)+233)*128
    ;
    RTS ; RETURN TO MAJOR LOOP EXE
    Last edited by 34blazer; 01-25-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    '86 Grand National

But the way the ECM/PCM uses the temps of IAT or MAT to adjust fueling is differant. Your now an IAT and cold temps going to a MAT ECM so it thinks the engine is cold and adding fuel, when the engine is not cold. It's confused!

The XDF conversion looks correct.

I did see a thread or write up awhile ago on Thirdgen.org about switching MAT to IAT, it's there take a look.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    the write up instructs to use the inverse table, which is enabled since im using the IAT. ill put together a video later if i have time at work lol. its hard to explain whats really happening with a keyboard
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    alright heres a short video, i tried to explain it as best i could, the F-22's were flying around my house full afterburner. literally a million acres of airspace and they have to fly directly over my house, idiots. anyway, heres the video, hope i explained it well enough LOL. oh and on the way to work i was able to get the table a little closer, variations are about 5-6 BLM counts now, and idle fuel is alot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQUyS5wfLMo
    '86 Grand National

I see what you mean and wondering if the XDF is off, which it may be but I doubt it. I think what is happening is your not taking into account Interpolation. The reading is not from one cell, it's from that cell and surrounding, so to see a change you would have to change 3 cells! It should be a smooth tranistion.

And/Or your MAT temp on dashboard is in F and the MAT in XDF is C. Are you using the MAT C value in ADX for Data Tracing?

Also I've never done the MAT to IAT swap, but normally this is a calculation to the fuel mixture in VE table, not a tuning adjustment. Look at stock MAT settings and they max out 128 counts when engine is warmed up, yours never hit 128 that I could see? Again I've never done this so just a thought...

HTH!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    i understand what you mean about interpolation, but i have to skip a cell to see any results. its weird and a little frustrating at times lol. i only have the dashboard set for *F, and everything else is *C. its only like that because every metric i know is imperial. the upper portion of the table used to be 128 but in vegas heat it would start to lean out. once there is a smooth transition in temperature i plan on moving to the inverse table. im using a layout that was suggested on the TGO but theres a nice cliff in the lower load section of the VE table. im going to tweat those so its a nice smooth transition from one cell to the next. i just wanted to figure out why the MAT comp vs. MAT table is off so it makes tuning easier for others in the future. Thanks for the help!
    '86 Grand National

Post your XDF and ADX with a log and I'll make the data tracing work with C...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Post your XDF and ADX with a log and I'll make the data tracing work with C...
    Mark,

The data is already converted for *C, the *F is only for the dash. If anything id like to convert the everything to *F and tweak the table to be able to use the entire table and not half of it.
    '86 Grand National

I have yet to see ANYTHING that indicates that there are ANY differences in bins and the function in the ECM of IAT or MAT. The ONLY difference I have seen over the years is the name is a mere description of where the sensor is installed, but does not indicate any functional differences.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    so ive put some thought into this little problem, came up with a possible solution. If the XDF item(MAT comp vs. MAT) is edited, would it be possible to shift the right column up slightly(like two cells up) to make adjustments a bit more accurate?
    '86 Grand National

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I have yet to see ANYTHING that indicates that there are ANY differences in bins and the function in the ECM of IAT or MAT. The ONLY difference I have seen over the years is the name is a mere description of where the sensor is installed, but does not indicate any functional differences.
    Tempretures are very differant. What INT temp makes no fueling change? What MAT temp makes no fueling change. Then match up columns. It can work. Newer stuff has IAT and ECT blend table for Dynamic Air Temp.

Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    so ive put some thought into this little problem, came up with a possible solution. If the XDF item(MAT comp vs. MAT) is edited, would it be possible to shift the right column up slightly(like two cells up) to make adjustments a bit more accurate?
    The reason it does not line up is data tracing is from a tempreture and the value is counts.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Tempretures are very differant. What INT temp makes no fueling change? What MAT temp makes no fueling change. Then match up columns. It can work. Newer stuff has IAT and ECT blend table for Dynamic Air Temp.

The reason it does not line up is data tracing is from a tempreture and the value is counts.
    i understand that, the data matches up with the temp in the left column. but the right column is off, thats what im trying to fix. so when i adjust the value at a certain temp, it acutally is an adjustment to the corresponding cell. no guess work even keeping interpolation in mind.
    '86 Grand National

I think I figured out why that is not accurate... MAT is counts and your data tracing with C tepm. It need a lookup table.

Code:
      ;*   A/D  degrees  A/D
    ;*  counts     C  Inv
    ;*  ------- -------  ---
    ;*  255     -40    0
    ;*  251     -30    4
    ;*  250     -25    5
    ;*  247     -20    8
    ;*  245     -15   10
    ;*  241     -10   14
    ;*  237     - 5   18
    ;*  231       0   24
    ;*  225       5   30
    ;*  218      10   37
    ;*  209      15   46
    ;*  199      20   56
    ;*  189      25   66
    ;*  177      30   78
    ;*  165      35   90
    ;*  152      40  103
    ;*  139      45  116
    ;*  126      50  129
    ;*  114      55  141
    ;*  102      60  153
    ;*  92      65  163
    ;*  81      70  174
    ;*  72      75  183
    ;*  64      80  191
    ;*  56      85  199
    ;*  50      90  205
    ;*  44      95  211
    ;*  39     100  216
    ;*  34     105  221
    ;*  30     110  225
    ;*  26     115  229
    ;*  23     120  232
    ;*  21     125  234
    ;*  18     130  237
    ;*  16     135  239
    ;*  14     140  241
    ;*  13     145  242
    ;*  12     150  243
    ;*  0     200  255

-= =-