Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New michigan guy

Fuel Injected!

New michigan guy

Hey guys my names Tyler i came here from Via a thread on gmt400. im 19 and have owned an 88 stepside that had a 383 tbi in it, and currently own a 93 Yukon lifted with lots of engine mods, interior mods etc. My friend tuned chips for both of them and well id like to learn how to do this programming and tuning so i dont have to rely on him and can help other people. So far in the yukon i have the moates c2 sst chip with a custom tune, and the g1 adapter. ive downloaded tunerpro and thats about all thats made sense so far, i dont know how to get the xdf,bind or any of that onto tunerpros, or even the correct one. i have tons of questions but ill make sure to do a search first.
    heres a picture of my yukon as of 3 months ago. alot has changed since then

Good looking truck!

Not sure but you may be the youngest member. My son is your age so my advice is be patient! I know that is impossable at that age but give it a shot. It takes awhile to get going, after you learn enough there's always more, it never ends. Just about every GM system is simalar, but differant. Little time each day, week by week and it all comes together. Don't think your going to learn it all in a day. I've got years into it and still learn each day!

What ECM do you have? Did you get the BCC off the chip or label from ECM? This will tell us what mask and data stream. To learn what that all means take a look at this thread:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...is-a-must-read!-)

Both your trucks may have the same $42 mask that this thread uses for example!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    dont know what ecm i have, unfortunately the previous owner did a number on my truck and messed with alot. removing the stickers was on of his screwups. so far i have
    93 ck with 3.73-4.10s as my bin file
    $42 v4t xdf (not sure if its correct but it was on the startup thread) dont know where to find all the files and such yet
    $42v3t adx file
    and the xdl that was on the same thread i got all the other stuff from.

is this all the software i need? i just need an aldl connector for my truck but have to see if its 12 or 16 pin.
    do i get an award for youngest member? =p im trying to be patient,im just eager to learn this stuff and make it do what i want. once i set my mind to something theres no stopping me.
    i think my next mod will be getting a new wiring harness, i couldnt find the wiring for the knock sensor and esc since i first got the truck.
    Last edited by Tylerz281500; 01-24-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Well that's all the files you have but are they correct for the ECM in your truck?

Is the bin file the one that was burned for your truck? If so post it and I will tell you what it is for. Or post a picture of the ECM, it's sounding like 1227747 which is $42 mask ID.

There's only one ALDL cable plug for OBDI, it's 12 pin and looks like the one in this thread. There's also good info there.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-CEL-SES-Light

Moates has cables, chips, burners, adapter and anything you will need! If your budget can afford it look at the AutoProm.

If the harness is not a mess the missing ESC and knock can be put back. Wiring diagrams and more on $42 here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

As for a prize for youngest member? Talk to me in a couple weeks, I know how 19 year olds are, one just moved back in with me!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    ill take a pic tomorrow. its cold out and i know if i go outside i likely wont come back in and i have a NX/Unigraphics class in the morning.
    do the ecms actually look differemt or whats the secret as to how you can tell?

16168625 bdjy<---pcm number
    868djyk121711450
    Last edited by Tylerz281500; 01-24-2013 at 09:39 AM.

There's only 2 kind in that year of truck. The files you mention, if they are for your ECM, it is a 1227747 with $42 mask ID. Another way to tell is your transmission? Is it 700R4 or 4l60e? 1993 is a strange year, your 1988 should be 1227747.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    posted above. 88 is dead and long gone, 383 tore it in half as the frame was weak without my knowing

Well the one you posted is $E6. Not my specialty but we can handle it. Lots of other help here to. IIRC you can just run $0D in it!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6

-= =-

Mark, if he has
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyerz281500
    16168625 bdjy<---pcm number
    in his truck, it's an 8625 and $E6 code. I got my 8625 out of a 93 S10, but that BCC might indeed be for his Yukon.

<edit, Mark, you posted while I was getting this together, I didn't expect you up this late. I agree, $0D is probably his best bet. I actually like it a lot.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 01-24-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

BDJY at 0x4008 says E6.

Are you saying the PCM is an OK swap for $0D? Either way it's a good one, would be nice to start him on the popular $0D.

-= =-

Super Moderator
    +1 michigan members AND i get further away from the youngest on board list.... i call this a WIN.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Yes Mark, $0D runs just fine on an 8625.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Fuel Injected!
    is $OD easier to run then $6E i think it was? anyone have an aldl for sale im excited to get this thing plugged in.
    also what adx, xdl,xdf do i run

im liking tuner pro though, it seems like alot of the stuff is knowledge ill pick up on but i see you can redo fuel charts and see engine vitals and lots of other stuff
    Last edited by Tylerz281500; 01-24-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerz281500 View Post
    is $OD easier to run then $6E i think it was? anyone have an aldl for sale im excited to get this thing plugged in.
    also what adx, xdl,xdf do i run

im liking tuner pro though, it seems like alot of the stuff is knowledge ill pick up on but i see you can redo fuel charts and see engine vitals and lots of other stuff
    I'm running $E6 in my 93 K1500. In my humble opinion, $E6 is a good definition. I'm thinking some $OD .bin files are for PWM torque converters, so I'm not going to recommend going to $OD until all the transmission parameters are understood.

The first step to learning how to do you own chip, is read the chip you have now and write back (burn) the same information into another chip. Then take the chip you burned and go for a test drive.

Next step ... data logging. Post back with a data log and we can offer some help.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'm running $E6 in my 93 K1500. In my humble opinion, $E6 is a good definition. I'm thinking some $OD .bin files are for PWM torque converters, so I'm not going to recommend going to $OD until all the transmission parameters are understood.

The first step to learning how to do you own chip, is read the chip you have now and write back (burn) the same information into another chip. Then take the chip you burned and go for a test drive.

Next step ... data logging. Post back with a data log and we can offer some help.

dave w
    thats all done by having it hooked to the truck correct? i dont know what a data log is so far im figuring everything else out by myself. i noticed you can put electric fans controlled by the ecm and that spraked my interest. where do i buy a burner? im assuming burning a chip is basically taking parameters from your current setup and changing then one step at a time by reading the vehicle as it runs. almost like a lot of copy and pasting until the engine likes it? does the burner run off of tunerpro or do i need software as well?