Thread: v10 motor home

Fuel Injected!

v10 motor home

does any one know what tells the pcm to pulse the injectors on a 2001 v10 ford? the engine is in a motor home.

Administrator
    The crank and cam signals are both needed for the injectors to fire.

Fuel Injected!
    thanks for the reply, every thing is all cramped up in the engine compartment. give it a shot of ether it will run till you stop sraying.its proble the cam sensor it has fuel pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    thanks for the reply, every thing is all cramped up in the engine compartment. give it a shot of ether it will run till you stop sraying.its proble the cam sensor it has fuel pressure.
    The engine needs fuel, air, and spark to run. If the engine is running with ether starting fluid, I would think the engine is not getting fuel. The not getting fuel could be the computer is not turning on the injectors to spray fuel. The not getting fuel could also be, a bad fuel pump or maybe a bad fuel pump relay? I think I would test the fuel pressure at this point.

dave w

Administrator
    You said it has fuel pressure? If so you might want to check to see if the computer is pulsing the injectors using a special test light called a "noid light." It's always possible that one of the sensor values is off enough that the engine won't run. Then again, if the cam sensor is easy to access and it's cheap enough it's probably easier than digging out one of those injector connectors.

Yes, I know it's cramped. All we have are vans and cutaway van chassis. You should see what we've got going on right now on a 6.0 diesel in an E450 chassis.

Fuel Injected!
    is that 6.0 one of them that leak water though the egr into the engine making it look like a bad head gasket?

Administrator
    Yep. They also need good oil and good fuel or you lose an injector or more.

Fuel Injected!
    i seen a lot of dirty fuel filters this summer,not only on trucks but the red die fuel in some of the farm tractors would setall out at the bottom of the fuel canister and look like what some of the red antifrezz would if not changed at the right time,it would resimble jelly. that v10 belongs to a freind i told him he would have to find some one that knowed more about fords than me. at 75 degrezz out side it will start and run fine, below 45 it wont. i think it is a wire connector some where an when the temp goes up it swells enough to make a connection.

Administrator
    Starts when warm sounds like one we had here. And yep, it was a cam sensor.