Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memcal eBay and Software Scams

Memcal eBay and Software Scams

Even some links the guy on eBay selling a heap of the V6 converted to V8 memcals and why the knock filter does not work! This guy just used everyone at thirgen to figure out how to make the netres end work then started selling the memcals on ebay because of shortage of V8 memcals for Thirdgen cars! Wonder how many run well or get knock damage?
    http://delcohacking.net/forums/viewt...t=739&hilit=2h

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    i seem to remember telling the seller just that and got a less than polite response.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

He's a real ass! Comes here as well to grab what he needs, doesn't offer any help back and badmouths us elsewhere...

-= =-

It makes me not want to share things if there going to be used for profit.

Super Moderator
    now you can see how i feel about giving away my work on both my nAst1 project in additon to my 7730TCM that's in-progress?

it's inevitable. i just try and make it quite obvious where the information/work came from.

It's not supposed to work that way and we have to stop thinking that way!

I learn from everyone and I give away my knowledge and help everyone. Also give credit where credit is do! If I ever miss please correct me, I hate guilt!

What we need to do is attact people like this from all angles to expose them and let ebay know this is stolen tech and a faulty product!

He is still constantly contacted people over at Thirgen through PM to sell his product.

Really a shame that one dickhead can just come out of no where, not contribute a thing and then profit with a faulty product!

Utilityguy (also known as valleytek on eBay) has just earned an award for the first person to ever be banned from GearHead-EFI.com

-= =-

It is a real shame to steal off ideas and profit and not give back to a community of guys with the same interests. Will be sharing some of my work in the near future here.
    Last edited by Tunedperformance; 02-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunedperformance View Post

It is a real shame to steal off ideas and profit and not give back to a community of guys with the same interests. Will be sharing some of my work in the near future here.
    I hope so!

You know the more you share and work with people it comes back as karma. If you make a few bucks? Oh well! I've never tried and because of helping others people will contact you and offer to pay for your services.

I don't think anyone is against making a buck. But the real point here is what he made is wrong! and...
    It is a real shame to steal off ideas and profit and not give back to a community of guys with the same interests.
    He was never part of the community! Just a leech!

He's never even made a post here. Last time I banned him for this same reason he was all full of BS about how he would become part of the help and not just a leech. SO I let him back and still never a post. All he wanted was our files!

-= =-

Well I need some expert opinion on this.
    eBay Auction for V8 TPI Memcal

This auction says:
    KNOCK SENSOR = Disabled * The knock filter circuitry can be enabled if desired and used with a stock 3.9K ohm 350 knock Sensor.

But the memcal has a jumper?
    memcal jumper.jpg

So would the knock sensor work correctly? What about limp home chip?

-= =-

That's all I want is our files... wait, whut?

lol
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    i'm THINKING...... that's in reference to the ability to run a 7727/7730 with an external knock filter(like used on the 7165 applications). tie a pin to ground using the 3.9K resistor and plug in the pins for the external filter.

of course, that's not mentioned at all, so i really wouldn't know what he's going on about.

I had asked him that on ebay a while back and he said the 3.9K was referring to what knock sensor to use. How is that going to work lol

$23,496. in sales to 264 people being deceived that knock sensor will work?

-= =-

Last edited by Tunedperformance; 02-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Administrator
    Mark, it's refereshing to be on this board. I've been through something very similar. In 2000 or so an individual started a business selling Jeep EFI conversion kits and was using gmecm for tech and product support. The list moderator didn't choose any sides after it was brought up on list even though it was clearly a violation of trust and policy and a bunch of the really talented guys cut back on posting anything new or good.

I remember an Ebay auction once that was something like "$1 buys you the instructions for how to fix your radio lights" then the item description went on to say the seller thought anyone charging for the same instructions was just repackaging info he'd published at his website, with an included link, where it could be found for free. It was pretty funny. Today's sterilized and sanitized Ebay might disable your seller account if you tried something similar. Although you could buy a memcal then leave negative feedback that it blew up your engine. That would be within Ebay's policy.

My opinion on the pictured memcal is that he's simply setting the fueling mode select to the correct resistance for an 8 cylinder pfi car. Disabling knock sensor likely involves software changes to ignore KS changes. I believe that disabling the "wrong" knock filter is a more honest approach than claiming it will work just fine.

There is a need for proper working memcals for the V8 TPI applications. IIRC on delcohacking there were references to using knock filter circuitry from other sources. It was pretty neat stuff. Another solution is to use the external knock detector circuit from a C3 and make modifications to the memcal and ecm as posted in this forum. Finally, and I'm surprised no one is doing this, why not combine parts? The 5.7 TBI filter is likely to be closer to correct than a six cylinder version. Obtain an inexpensive, new 5.7 TBI memcal, modify for 8 cyl PFI mode, then resell. Stop trying to maximize profit using incorrect junkyard parts.